Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Looking for info on changing over to EFI stacks. Any info appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for info on changing over to EFI stacks. Any info appreciated.

I’m toying with the idea of converting to efi stacks from my carb’d setup. This is just an idea and far from actual execution but I was wondering if anyone had made the swap and what all did it require. I’m currently running a mechanical fuel pump and a quick fuel HR 650 on my Tristar Performance 351W.

I’m trying to wrap my head around issues that I may run into.

Wiring issues (after the fact)
    Ignition issues
    Fuel line issues (mechanical pump/ no return line)
    Sensor issues

Can anyone recommend a “kit” that may address many of these issues? Also do most systems come with a base tune to get things going? I have someone locally that tunes modern fuel inkected cars and I’m sure he could tackle the fine tuning of mine if asked.

Thanks for any help. I truly appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

3. Likes MVRight liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that website is nearly impossible to navigate! I see a set of stacks... I guess I’ll shoot him a message.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, call or email - he's very good about responding.

6. Likes chuckster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have both the Inglese 8 Stack and the Borla/Weber 48 Stacks and love them both. The Borla set up is much more original and some nice eye candy. Throttle response is great, but the real reason for me was pure looks.
    Both were retro fits and I think you are looking at a complete redo of plumbing, fuel management, O2 sensors etc...
    Most important is to have somebody you trust to fine tune the system.
    Engine.jpg
    img_1943.jpg
    Last edited by 7tvette; 12-04-2018 at 08:24 PM.
    " The journey is the reward" Chinese Proverb
    FFR Roadster #5380
    FFR Spyder GT #030

Post Thanks / Like
    I have someone capable of doing the fine tuning. They are in Lake Charles but its just an hour or so away. Like I said previously, this is just the beginning stages as of right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am a dealer for Borla, Eightstack and Inglese and do probably 10 systems a year. Please feel free to give me a call and I would be happy to help you through everything you need to install a system.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Trust me, just talk with Wayne!

Don't let the website throw you, everything he does is first rate! Give him a call, and he will walk you through everything you need to do to make the swap. Many folks here have used Wayne for a variety of challenges, and he does a great job, and takes very good care of you! Even if you end up not making the swap, you will know exactly what you need to do with Wayne's guidance.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Read this article before you go out and drop $6K plus on eight stack injection. Luckily I still have the money I saved for the conversion sitting safely in my safe until I find a system that truly works for my application. So far Im sticking with what I have. I think eight stack looks amazing but unless you are just racing I am not sure you will be happy.

http://www.badasscars.com/index.cfm/...rod/prd400.htm
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

12. Thanks CobraboyDR thanked for this post
    Likes CobraboyDR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CDXXVII View Post
    Read this article before you go out and drop $6K plus on eight stack injection. Luckily I still have the money I saved for the conversion sitting safely in my safe until I find a system that truly works for my application. So far Im sticking with what I have. I think eight stack looks amazing but unless you are just racing I am not sure you will be happy.

Good article.... Makes sense

Post Thanks / Like
    I read the article. I think the efi systems are much less temperamental.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CDXXVII View Post

Good read - thanks!

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Levy View Post
    I am a dealer for Borla, Eightstack and Inglese and do probably 10 systems a year. Please feel free to give me a call and I would be happy to help you through everything you need to install a system.

Gordon, do you have a personal preference between the three?

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on the look and performance you are after. The eightstack looks very original and is easy to plumb and works great up to 500hp. The borla will support 600hp and you can get K&N air cleaners for it where the eightstack you have to use the strainer type filter. The pics earlier in the thread are of the Inglese and the eightstack. We installed both of those. There is probably a $500 price difference betwene the 3. That is important is the ecu system used. That really depends on how aggressive your engine is cammed. For stuff pretty mild a FAST EZ 2.0 works pretty good. Anything more aggressive I would really do a programmable sportsman ECU.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

18. Thanks SanDogDewey thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Levy View Post
    Depends on the look and performance you are after. The eightstack looks very original and is easy to plumb and works great up to 500hp. The borla will support 600hp and you can get K&N air cleaners for it where the eightstack you have to use the strainer type filter. The pics earlier in the thread are of the Inglese and the eightstack. We installed both of those. There is probably a $500 price difference betwene the 3. That is important is the ecu system used. That really depends on how aggressive your engine is cammed. For stuff pretty mild a FAST EZ 2.0 works pretty good. Anything more aggressive I would really do a programmable sportsman ECU.
    Thanks Gordon!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    The stacks with strainers or no filter at all are the best looking, to the point of making me drool. Why is it that the best looking stuff is always the most expensive and the hardest to live with?

Cars and women.................

21. Likes cgundermann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    DO NOT, DO NOT use a Fast EZ 2.0 with a Borla stack system, IT WILL NOT be tunable. Thats what I was sold, and I got screwed. There was no way to make that system drivable. After spending a boat load of money at 2 different shops trying, and sending the computer back to Fast 2 times, the Fast tech's finally admitted that "well that computer won't work, you should have at a minimum a Fast XFI Sportsman".
    Last edited by rich grsc; 12-07-2018 at 03:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My FE EightStack system with Performance Electronics ECU works without issues. Highly recommended

Post Thanks / Like

On a 427W. Run by a Megasquirt computer. Ran excellent on pump gas or E-85. Purred like a kitten around town. But hit the skinny pedal, and it would scream like a banshee and take off like a rocket.

.boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com