Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Help......

Post Thanks / Like

Help......

This dam forum has me going mad... I currently own a factory five mark 3 and have owned 3 other cobras by other company's. I like many things on the ff but my problem is that my current car is not exactly what I would want. Starting with the color, I don't know how it is that owning 4 cobras over 20 years every single one is silver with black stripes. Also not being a snob but my favorite drivetrain was a 428cj with a 4 speed in the contempory I owned. But that car had no IRS and held the road like a banana peel on ice.. So I guess what I am getting at is do I dump the current car and buy one of the great priced kits that someone has lost interest in and build the car I really want or do I dump some money into my current car? My current car has a 351w with a 5 speed and IRS but I figure that I would spend 5 to 8 thousand and still would be the wrong color. Or do I go off the deep end and build one and then I build what I want realizing I will spend far more than the money I have in my current ride. I would have to sub out paint and body other than that it would just be up to me and my Amex card. I keep looking thru peoples builds and see lots of great thing i would love to incorporate into my dream car.... I guess I need a push off the ledge or back on to solid ground.... Mind you Time is not a factor I have 6 mo off a year to build my dream and have a few other toys that i could drive while building...

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on your comments, sounds like you’ve already made up your mind. Sell the car you have and build one exactly like you want it.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    YUP !... da bat

Post Thanks / Like
    definitely build your own. I would kill for six months off to work on my cobra...
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok so i guess my next question is there a huge difference in the new FF mark 6 to a Mark 3 mind you i will not be road racing the car. I want a car to stick to the road in the curvy mountains I live in and want the big block possible run a 427 side oiler... Have a few i know where they are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also what rear? I have a mark 3 now running a Lincoln mark 8 8.8 posi , will that handle the torque of the big block or what do you recommend. Mind you I would like to keep the build under 50. I figure my current car is a easy sell at 30k and that a abandoned mark 3 project roller is around 15 i have talked with a few guys here on the forum. Will the aluminum 8.8 Lincoln rear handle the torque? my current car is a 351w and it pulls hard but looking for that tear your spine out torque of the big block

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eaton View Post
    definitely build your own. I would kill for six months off to work on my cobra...
    I own a rv park in the mountains so playing with cars in the winter and skiing plus a few adult beverages...

9. Likes TexasAviator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The FFR IRS is now based on the 2015 Mustang. The diff is referred to as a Super 8.8. This is a much better design than the old T-bird especially the uprights and axles. They were designed for a hi performance car rather than for a better ride in luxury barge. Also the MkIV kit is better in every way than a MkIII so I would look for one of them. I am not a fan of the old big blocks. I would build/buy a 351W based 427. A bit expensive because you need an aftermarket block. Stock 351W block is generally thought to be limited to 408 which is what I built.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.