Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Body Removal Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Body Removal Questions

Hi everyone!

So I have been driving my Mk4 Cobra for a couple years now, and the car is basically complete - except for paint. And I am thinking it is now time to complete that final step, get 'er really done proper.

Anyway, so in terms of removing the body, I have queries regarding the additional alum parts that went in at the end or assembly for wheel well guards, the "elephant ears" I think they are called. They are riveted to the chassis, but also there is often one rivet at the lower edge thru the body. So clearly to remove the body I will need to removde those rivets that go thru the body, but can I leave the ears in place? Or will they make it too hard to lift the body on/off?

And one other question whilst I am here, in terms of body clearance to the front faces of the dash and the bulkhead behind the seats, do we generally like to arrange it so that there is some clearance? On my car its a bit tight, especially on the seat bulkead, so with a little body movement it is kinda pushing the carpet around in that area. Any advice?

Thanks all.
    Tim
    FFR MkIV #7393 - LS3, TR6060, 8.8" - Registered 2015 - Painted 2019
    HSV Clubsport R8
    Kwaka ZX-14R

Post Thanks / Like
    I trim the rolled edges to 1/2 in back from the crown of the radius. Allows you to move the body forward without cutting into the dash. If you are using any padding under the carpet on the rear bulkhead cut it 1in short from the top (for clearance) and run your carpet all the way up. You can leave the splash gaurd on the chassis you will just need to be careful. Side pipes off, front tires off...da Bat

3. Thanks Jethrow thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you sir very much for this info - very helpful indeed.
    Tim
    FFR MkIV #7393 - LS3, TR6060, 8.8" - Registered 2015 - Painted 2019
    HSV Clubsport R8
    Kwaka ZX-14R