Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Back at it, interior time..

Post Thanks / Like

Back at it, interior time..

Was too busy to work on my gtm for about a year now, but I finally got it back to my shop and am going to make a big effort to finish it this year. I don't have too much left, but a good amount. The biggest issue is the interior at the moment. All the panels are peeling, and they really don't fit the overall vibe of the car. I was going to go wild and fab up a complete interior, but I have dialed it back a bit and am going to just work with with they have provided, add some flair to the gauges, and make a nice center console to house an Alpine Halo9 radio and the heater/ac controls. So far, I have just about finished the gauges. Heres what I got.

Made some 3D bezels for the gauges to try and give the cluster some depth/layers. Looking at most modern cars that come in my shop, theres a nice big screen in between a couple analog gauges. I chose the AEM CD5 5" gauge pack to fit between the tach and speedo supplied by FFR. The CD5 will show me every gauge too, as well as G-forces, tilt, yaw, etc. Its a very cool piece that is nearly 100% customizable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nicely done, just saw your post on my thread. I love the capability of the AEM dashes. I've also got the vehicle dynamics module. I found a nice area right in the center tunnel to mount it. Its only about 1.5 inches off of vehicle center line front to rear.

3. Likes Traveller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got a good amount of time in yesterday and today. Was able to get the radio mounted and a template started for the radio bezel/shifter bezel. Once I get all the holes and switched and such where I like, I will make the whole bezel out of one piece of acrylic and bend it. Hopefully tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice work! Those gauge bezels look like they would have been a bear to make on an angle like that? Looks great!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you are off to a great start, can't wait to see the finished dash! Is that a stitched leather dash cover?
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. They aren't too bad Shane, just make a jig and run it on the router table. like an upside down mill lol

beeman, thats the crap that someone at factory five attempted to glue down 8 years ago. I have been cutting it away from the spots I have been working on so I don't have to deal with all the glue yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not much to update, but I made the finalized bezel out of acrylic. The bezel is now 1 piece from the radio to the shifter. Made out of 1/4" acrylic, bent to fit the dash. Took me 3 tries. First one didn't bend well, second broke when I bent too far and tried to reverse a little, third times a charm. I am going to paint the back side of it and it will give a really deep finish. Next up I am going total care of mounting all the pieces into the car and to each other, then work on an armrest. After that, door panels...

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice!
    How are you mounting the tablet? I'm getting started on my dash too...
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Lots of toys in this car!

A small suggestion:

You may want to try a slim rectangular air vent and drop your tablet down a few inches for extra front view clearance.
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle