FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Kit ordered - Trans Question

Post Thanks / Like

Kit ordered - Trans Question

I figured I'd stop bothering my sales rep and ask you fine people.

I purchased a M4 roadster kit that I'll be receiving a month or so from now and have some dumb questions. This question is 2015 Mustang Coyote transmission related.

I purchased a complete front end of a 2015 mustang just because the price was right. I realize that I wont be using most of the parts but having extra parts for other projects isn't the worst idea ever....

Anyway I was told to order a TKO600 trans and from what I can see it's only because of the linkage being too long(on the 2015 trans). If that's the only issue wouldn't a kit be available to have the shifter directly over the top(toploaded)

Any feedback would be great. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    No personal experience. But I've seen several builds where the Mustang MT82 trans was used. Early ones didn't have a great reputation in Mustang circles. But maybe by 2015 they're sorted out. Yes the shifter location is a problem. Aside from fabricating your own, I've seen this solution discussed. https://www.formacars.com/blogposts/...ture-highlight. But I have no experience with it. Just passing on the info. You'll also have to deal with the driveshaft, because it's different than a TKO and what Factory Five offers. The Mustang has a 2-piece driveshaft with different adapters. Another consideration might be the ratios. I see the 2015 MT-82 has a 3.657 1st gear. Not sure how useful or practical that would be. 2nd through 6th are somewhat similar to a TKO 1st through 5th. I suspect the mounting frame and locations might be different too. But don't know any particulars.

General comment: Just keep in mind that you're describing a non-standard configuration that isn't supported by Factory Five. So you're pretty much on your own. If your experience level is sufficient, should be manageable. If you're more toward the beginner side (no offense, many on here are) it could get challenging. Just saying.
    Last edited by edwardb; 05-07-2019 at 07:41 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great thanks that makes more sense now. I'll wait to figure out which way I go when I get to that part of the build.

I'll check out the link you provided. Cheers