Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Specific Master Cylinder Brake Combination

Someday Is Today !
    Post Thanks / Like

Specific Master Cylinder Brake Combination

Has anyone used the FFR Wilwood master cylinder with stock Mustang GT disc brakes?

I really wanted power brakes but am finding myself very frustrated with my Whitby frame mod bracket that won't fit properly with my 94 donor booster which rubs against the steering knuckle and to top it off, the nice aluminum spacer from Mike Everson only works with the 87-93 Mustang booster, which I can't confirm has a smaller body diameter or will clear the steering knuckle. Yeesh!!!

This car will not be raced, but rather a daily seasonal driver. So if mama wants to drive, stiff manual brakes just won't cut it.

Also, will it make a harmful difference is I mount the flange bearing on the inside of the DS foot box instead of outside per the manual?

Any input here is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Vacuum power brakes with a Mustang donor pedal box require;

1.) Frame mod; either Whitbys or home brewed
    2.) Fox body booster which indeed is a maller diameter than SN95
    3.) Spacing the booster forward ~ 3/8" from the front bulkhead via Everson's piece or homemade
    4.) Mounting the flange bearing ib the cockpit side

Easy peasy; I've done it a bunch of times!

Jeff

3. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi do you have more info on putting power brakes in my roaster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Vacuum power brakes with a Mustang donor pedal box require;

1.) Frame mod; either Whitbys or home brewed
    2.) Fox body booster which indeed is a maller diameter than SN95
    3.) Spacing the booster forward ~ 3/8" from the front bulkhead via Everson's piece or homemade
    4.) Mounting the flange bearing ib the cockpit side

Easy peasy; I've done it a bunch of times!

Jeff
    Jeff,

A few more "snippets" of information, please. In your post, you stated "with donor pedals", the OP stated he was using Wilwood pedals and other than the mounting position, is there a difference in the rod that needs to be used? I'm also assuming you are referring to using a Fox booster, but with what Master Cylinder? With or without a prop valve? And does it make a difference if using the stock Mustang disc brakes (which would work fine with power) or the "big" brakes? I've searched this forum and "the other one" looking for a definitive answer to these questions, with little success. I'm thinking the '93 Cobra MC with the Villager remote is probably what is needed, but does that need the "dog bowl" mod as well? I'm so confused . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Video,
    I don't thing the OP is using Wilwood pedals. I read the post as questioning whether he should consider using Wilwood rather than a donor derived pedal box. A Mustang booster is in no way compatible with the Wilwood dual master setup. I've used Fox boosters with SN95 masters. Yes, you could use remote reservoirs. Whether remote or integral reservoirs are used the vacuum booster or Hydroboost will both move the master cylinder forward into the F panel necessitating my "Fluffy's bowl" mod or something similar.

Jeff

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Video,
    A Mustang booster is in no way compatible with the Wilwood dual master setup.
    Jeff
    yes the Whitby setup can be used with the Wilwood Pedalbox - you get a new brake pedal arm with a mounted post
    there is a decent amount of drilling involved for the vacuum booster to fit properly, at least 4 holes need drilled

https://cobradreams.com/2020/05/18/c...-power-brakes/
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toadster View Post
    yes the Whitby setup can be used with the Wilwood Pedalbox - you get a new brake pedal arm with a mounted post
    there is a decent amount of drilling involved for the vacuum booster to fit properly, at least 4 holes need drilled

https://cobradreams.com/2020/05/18/c...-power-brakes/
    But as I said (over 2 tears ago, in the quote that you included) the Mustang booster is not compatible with the Wilwood dual master cylinders. If you use a Mustang booster, either with a Mustang pedal box or Wilwoods you end up with a single master cylinder and lose the ability to adjust front to rear bias hydraulically.

Jeff

9. Thanks toadster thanked for this post
    Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reading comprehension. Don't teach that in school anymore.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    But as I said (over 2 tears ago, in the quote that you included) the Mustang booster is not compatible with the Wilwood dual master cylinders. If you use a Mustang booster, either with a Mustang pedal box or Wilwoods you end up with a single master cylinder and lose the ability to adjust front to rear bias hydraulically.

Jeff
    ah yes, I see now - yes you do not need to use the dual masters with the mustang booster it converts to a single - I thought the comment was about it not working at all - my bad

and yes rich grsc I'm not worthy LOL
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    You know, I give everyone trouble, right.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

13. Likes toadster liked this post