Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: WA front license plate requirement

Post Thanks / Like

WA front license plate requirement

How have others dealt with Washington state’s requirement to mount a front license plate on a MK4 Roadster? I followed the Highway Patrol’s recommended approach but my request was denied. https://wspinsideout.wordpress.com/2...ate-exemption/

I currently have two conventional license plates but don’t like the approach of hanging one off a front turn signal. I understand I could go the approach of getting a collector plate which doesn’t require one to be mounted in front but does come with restrictions on use. I’ve invested a lot of effort and money in building my car to be driven. I’m retired and I do plan to keep my daily driver so my concern isn’t about commuting but I don’t want to be told I can’t take my Cobra to the post office or just out to enjoy the day, a lot!
    Seattle area; MK4 kit received 5/18; Build completed 3/20; Gen 2 Coyote, TKO600; IRS; Wilwood brakes; PS; PB; Gas-N sidepipes; Vinyl Dash with glovebox; Heater/Defroster; Premium Soft Top

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to hijack but read Ohio is or has dropped its front plate requirement. Am happy to live in a state NC that does not use them.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

3. Likes RBachman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the one that hangs off the turn signal - and that works fine.

There's another bracket that is attached to the outside of the quick jack.

Some street rods use a bracket that is vacuum controlled. The plate swings into a hidden position when the engine is off, and pops up when the engine is running.

I have also seen a bracket that is spring loaded and does the opposite: Wind speed swings it to the horizontal position.

IMO, there's no way to attach a front plate that looks good or correct. You just have to pick one that looks the least ugly to you.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

5. Likes BEAR-AvHistory liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the process now of obtaining my Washington State registration. I plan to go "classic vehicle" with a 1965 plate (one, on the back). Here is Hagerty's definition of a classic.

K. "Classic vehicle" means a motor vehicle of
    unique or rare design and of limited
    production that is an object of curiosity and:
    1. Is maintained primarily for use in car
    club activities, exhibitions, parades,
    other functions of public interest or for a
    private collection; and
    2. Is used only infrequently for other
    purposes.

I use my car "infrequently" for "other purposes" such as joy riding on sunny days, stopping to get the mail on the way home, or maybe the grocery store. That is not prohibited and no one is watching you, just don't abuse the system.
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    It's up to you whether to risk it or not but in both Va and Md over 15 years I never had my front plate on the car. Always in the trunk. You could get the least expensive hanger available to get through your initial inspections and then remove it.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the stainless frame from **********.com that mounts at the quick jack location. It barely clears the front turn signal and I had to grind a little off of the base to get it to fit with the FFR overriders. I'm not on the road yer so don't know how it will work at speed.
    JRIMG_0720.JPG
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's an idea I READ ON THE INTERNET:
    Take your front plate and throw it down the road. Let it get pretty well scratched up.
    Keep it in the trunk.
    If questioned, take it out and say "It just fell off"!

Post Thanks / Like
    Igordon, most of us cobra guys here in Washington don't run front plates. Mine is register as a 2017 so I run a normal plate. Matter of fact two of the guys in the club are X officers and they don't run a plate. I don't even carry my front plate in my car. I have had officers look at my car coming head on and give me thumbs up. You will probably be ok with out it.
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    In 18 years of driving, 14 in California, and 4 in Texas, both states that require a front plate, I have never been questioned about not having one. Do something temporary to get through inspection and then take it off.
    Phil: FFR 3121, Frame #2050, Mk 1.5, built 2002, 1991 donor with Blueprint 302 long block and 1993 Cobra intake, BBK 70mm T/B, no smog, power steering, T-5 and 3.55 rear.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    From you comment about hanging the plate from the turn signal I guess that you’ve seen this mounting system....http://replicaparts.com/front%20plate%20page.htm

This topic has been discussed for years both here and on the “other forum”. There are several solutions some expensive and some homemade. Doing a web search for “hidden license plates” might be best. I’ve seen systems that have the plate vivible while driving and hide it when the ignition is turned off.

I didn’t mount our front plate and haven’t been stopped for not having one in 19-years.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the responses! I’m going to apply for a custom plate and stick to one on the back. Some things are worth the risk to me.
    Seattle area; MK4 kit received 5/18; Build completed 3/20; Gen 2 Coyote, TKO600; IRS; Wilwood brakes; PS; PB; Gas-N sidepipes; Vinyl Dash with glovebox; Heater/Defroster; Premium Soft Top