Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Torque wrench

Post Thanks / Like

Torque wrench

Ok I've warned you in my welcome thread...
    Another question.
    What kind of torque wrench do you guys use to cover the span needed for building a Daytona?
    Seems to me like I might need two to cover my need, right?
    What do you suggest I get?

Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up getting 3 to cover the full range. They aren't that expensive really unless you get the full digital.
    Two I bought on Amazon.ca
    TEKTON 24320 1/4-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench (20-200 in.-lb./2.26-22.6 Nm)
    TEKTON 24340 1/2-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench (25-250 ft.-lb./33.9-338.9 Nm)

I got a mid range 3/8 drive one locally on a good deal but this one would be along the same lines
    TEKTON 24330 3/8-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench (10-80 ft.-lb./13.6-108.5 Nm)

Post Thanks / Like
    For nearly everything, you could get along with a 1/2-inch drive that goes to at least 100 - 120 ft/lbs. Couple of the suspension bolts are in that range, most are less. The front hubs, and rear if you're doing IRS, require 250 ft/lbs and are the only ones in that range. You could buy one, or borrow if you know someone or get from a local parts store from their free rental program. If you're doing Wilwood brakes with the 2-piece rotor, they're held on with a bunch of small screws that have an in/lb torque that's below the typical 3/8 or 1/2 inch drive models.

Something else to consider. More and more torques as listed as xx ft/lbs (or in/lbs) and then so many degrees additional. So called torque-to-yield fasteners. Not many on the build, but they're there. You can eyeball them, but there are angle gauges made for that purpose as well.
    Last edited by edwardb; 12-12-2018 at 06:06 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, depending on the work being done, an 1/4" drive in/lb torque wrench may have it's uses. I needed one for rebuilding my rear end, for example.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    I ended up getting 3 to cover the full range. They aren't that expensive really unless you get the full digital.
    Two I bought on Amazon.ca
    TEKTON 24320 1/4-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench (20-200 in.-lb./2.26-22.6 Nm)
    TEKTON 24340 1/2-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench (25-250 ft.-lb./33.9-338.9 Nm)

I got a mid range 3/8 drive one locally on a good deal but this one would be along the same lines
    TEKTON 24330 3/8-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench (10-80 ft.-lb./13.6-108.5 Nm)
    I’m very impressed with the Tekton wrenches. I have the 3/8 and 1/2. Recently used the 1/2 when replacing my flywheel and it worked very well. For the cost, they were worth a try and I have to say, I like em.

RickP

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the TEKTON 1/2-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench also - good value and quality for our builds. I also have the 1/4 inch drive one from HF for lower torques but I often find myself double checking with the TEKTON. I'd get two TEKTONs or other mid-price range wrenches.

Cheers

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    You might check your local auto parts stores to see if they have a lend a tool program. I have used that for a few items I only needed once or twice during the build. I have a torque wrench in a range that covers 90% of what I need on the Hot Rod, but there were a few items that needed a heavier torque, so I borrowed their torque wrench for a few days and then returned it.
    Ryan
    33 Hot Rod
    350 SBC with TKO 500, 3 link rear

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the replies gentlemen!

Post Thanks / Like
    Like others have said, most of the fasteners can be handled with a 3/8 drive up to 120 ftlb. Depending on the lower range of the wrench and your math abilities, you can use this on those Wildwood inlb rotor hats. 1/2" drive for the front spindles.

Tools are always on sale at Canadian Tire. You'll find the range given in the FFR build manual for most fasteners torque spec is pretty wide. So DON'T waste your money on digital. Quite simply, they are expensive and not required.
    MkIV #7854, Kit picked up September 2012, Coyote/BOSS 302 intake tuned at 488HP, TKO600, Center Force, Moser 8.8, driveshaft safety hoop, Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers, Gas-N-sidepipes, rad shroud, Wilwoods, NO PS/PB, heater/defroster, heated seats, wipers, Herb door panels, Dynamat Extreme sound/heat dampening, premium Rodtop top, Fast Freddie lexan wind screen, Nitto 555R, drop trunk battery, drop trunk storage,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    Tools are always on sale at Canadian Tire.
    Thanks Dave,
    Yes, I was at my local CT store earlier this week and there was a torque wrench on sale...That's what started this thread, lol!