FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: coyote gen2 wire SMR and Ignition relay trigger connection confirmation question

Post Thanks / Like

coyote gen2 wire SMR and Ignition relay trigger connection confirmation question

Hello all so I'm in the middle of dieting my ron francis harness and wiring in the coyote gen 2 wires.

just for confirmation for the coyote wires I only need two 12v wires signal wires to start the engine "SMR and ignition relay trigger" right? not including the ground wire that gets grounded to the chassis and fuel pump wire.

I sorta jumped a ahead of myself dieting the ron francis harness so I hope I still have the wires to connect the two coyote wires. lol

Will it work like this?
    coyote SMR wire - to Ron francis EFI Crank wire which is the same lead as the clutch safety switch/starter switch? can I connect the SMR wire directly to the ignition key switch screw where the start/starter switch was supposed to go to?

coyote Ignition relay trigger wire- to the coil or efi wire which is a fused lead coming from the big orange "IGN ON FEED "feed wire on the ignition key switch screw? Can I connect the coyote ignition relay trigger wire straight to the ignition switch where the orange "IGN ON FEED" screws to or would it be better if I connect after its fused to the ron francis "COIL or EFI wire"? or am I totally wrong about this connection?

last question. what is the coyote HAAT wire used for or what can I use it for? that's pretty much a constant 12V wire to power something?

Thanks! hopefully I can start this thing up this week.
    Last edited by Bayfunktionkev; 12-12-2018 at 07:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your understanding about both wires is correct. You could wire them directly to the ignition switch I guess. But why not just use the available wires? It's simple. I assume you're using the Coyote harness wire to the starter solenoid. You don't need the RF blue clutch safety wire that eventually goes to the starter solenoid in a non-Coyote setup. Also assume you're using the Coyote harness wire to the cooling fan. You don't need the cooling fan circuit in the RF harness.

The HAAT (Hot At All Times) wire is useful for the GPS hot wire if you're using the Speedhut GPS gauge. Keeping +12V on that wire is supposed to reduce the amount of time the GPS takes to acquire. I guess it does. I used it that way, and the GPS is typically acquired by the time I'm out of the garage. Haven't tried without it, so don't know exactly how much difference it makes. But I'd do it. I also used the Coyote HAAT wire for the clock. I'm using a master disconnect, but it only switches off the RF harness and starter feeds. The Coyote PDB has power all the time, like the Ford instructions say to do. So the GPS and clock have power even with the master disconnect off. Both choices that you may or may not choose to do.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are the man Edward! answered everything I needed to know and some. thank you sir!
    Last edited by Bayfunktionkev; 12-12-2018 at 07:42 PM.