Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Got My VIN Number

Post Thanks / Like

Got My VIN Number

Had to drive my car to the Colorado State Trooper office, about 50 miles round trip. I had never driven on the freeway at 65 before and wow the car seems fast. I found the steering (Professionally aligned) super quick and a little scary. I have unisteer power steering.

Super happy to get my vin number so now all I need to do is get plates. No smog test but I did find out you need some kind of windshield wiper even if it is hand operated. They let me slide with a promise to install a wiper. I am getting a bolt on marine wiper that is battery operated and leave it in my trunk.

All was good until I got home and found I have a rear main seal leaking oil. Well I built the motor (my 12th SBC) so now I get to pull and redo the seal and I am going to change the cam to a more subdued custom grind at the same time. I have aprox 525HP from a 400 cu inch (a mild build) and is way more HP than I really need for this car.

Well back to work.
    TomH33

2. Likes AJT '33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the VIN....sorry about the oil leak.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! a satisfying milestone for sure...

Post Thanks / Like
    How did you manage to drive the car to the CHP? I assumed I'd need to trailer mine when the time comes.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats. Gotta feel good

Post Thanks / Like
    Colorado is very easy. First I took all papers to DMV they gave me a 60 day temp plate just to shake down my ride and drive to Castle Rock State Trooper office to have a vin inspection. Take the paper work back to DMV with Photos. They will give you a 60 day temp plate so you can drive when they call. They copy all your paper work and send it to the state. First time I got a letter of rejection, I didn't have the correct photos (3/4 view drirver front to back and passenger side is 3/4 view from back. Second time It took about 2 weeks and I got a phone call giving me an appointment to have my VIN tag mounted. It can take three weeks to 2 months before they call. If your plate runs out before they call then go to DMV for another. They can only give up to 60 days. You need a wiper for final vin inspection. Heres what he did. Asked if I had a horn, I beeped it and then asked where my wipers were. That was it. He put the tag on and I left. Contact me if you need more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TomH33 View Post
    Colorado is very easy. First I took all papers to DMV they gave me a 60 day temp plate just to shake down my ride and drive to Castle Rock State Trooper office to have a vin inspection. Take the paper work back to DMV with Photos. They will give you a 60 day temp plate so you can drive when they call. They copy all your paper work and send it to the state. First time I got a letter of rejection, I didn't have the correct photos (3/4 view drirver front to back and passenger side is 3/4 view from back. Second time It took about 2 weeks and I got a phone call giving me an appointment to have my VIN tag mounted. It can take three weeks to 2 months before they call. If your plate runs out before they call then go to DMV for another. They can only give up to 60 days. You need a wiper for final vin inspection. Heres what he did. Asked if I had a horn, I beeped it and then asked where my wipers were. That was it. He put the tag on and I left. Contact me if you need more.
    Tom,

That's very encouraging! I wasn't sure how I was going to get the car to and from the CHP. I've read through all the Colorado requirements and have everything required, including the wipers. I didn't know about the photos they require, so thanks for that info. I have to make a trip to Kiowa next week to re-title my wife's car, so I'll inquire about the temp tag process while I'm there. I hope to have my car completely reassembled and drivable over the next two weeks. Depending on how far out Jeff is, I may try to push through the registration process before I ship the car out for paint.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! I will be a few years behind you as my type 65 will ship on the 22nd, but good to see someone complete the registration without much trouble!