BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Significant Headlight Modification Feedback

Post Thanks / Like

Significant Headlight Modification Feedback

I've never been a huge fan of the headlight design with the new 818 nose. Since I had nothing to lose with my destroyed front quarter panel I figured I would do some experimentation. So, I set out to find an alternative light that was sealed and easily adjustable. Aggressive headlights from a car would probably be too recognizable. Lots of searching, trial, and I think I have decent candidate. The headlights out of a 2007-2008 Yamaha R1.

I will refine and blend things really nicely, just like I did with my hood vents. The plan is to make the lower duct area functional for brake ducts. I tried a few different configurations of lights and made a pretty big opening in the junk fender. However, the R1 headlight actually requires very minimal material removal compared to the opening that accommodates the kit headlight bucket.

What do you guys think? Too radical?

Post Thanks / Like
    The Mclaren 720s headlight with integrated ducting provided some inspiration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's some rough photoshop work that a friend of mine did.

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that is down right fun. I had looked at my Hayabusa's front and wondered what it might look like on my 818. Now I kinda' know. I've not tackled putting the front together - still away out. But if it is not to my liking - you're giving me ideas. eBay and you have the used parts for not bad $$.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to agree with you that the new headlights on the new front end could use some help. I'm glad I have the old front end.
    Kinda like the direction your going, though those headlights might be to small for that front end. If you like the "slanted" look in the headlights ya might consider Honda S2000 lights. Personally I think a more vertical light like from Porsche or even CTS might work.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the new lights (at least better than the old camry ones). They do look a little flat though compared to other supercar headlights.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it!

Post Thanks / Like
    The R1 headlights look a bit small but actually are about the same size as the Mclaren. If you follow what Mclaren did and add some CF trim to give the illusion of a bigger head light, it will look much better IMO. I personally love the look of the new front end but this is a cool idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like it, I think more so because you are making the car your statement. Which is what these projects are all about.

10. Likes Shawn818c liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I like where youre going with this. The angles of the lenses are going to need some serious adjustments tho to make them light up the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it. A lot.
    Cool and outside the box.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mad props... did you already split the r1 nose fairing down the middle? How are the headlights mounted to the r1 nose?

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate the feedback and overall support. I'm confident enough that I can make it work that I'll do a second revision on the basically unmolested passenger side fender. I bought another full nose retrofit to repair the accident damage. I have two new fenders coming my way. I don't really have anything to lose by making this fit. It's likely that I'll have the acrylic lenses, buckets, and hella projectors for sale if anyone needs them.

Fireblade, yes, I cut the nose fairing in half and removed a lot of excess. There are plastic screw tabs on the inside of the fairing for mounting. It should make mounting and future shimming for aligning once installed in the fenders straight forward.

Post Thanks / Like
    Please continue to update us. I'm very excited to see your progress. I'm sure this will work. You did excellent work with your hood...

Post Thanks / Like
    Interested in the acrylic lenses when they arrive, let me know what you want for them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am also interested in the acrylic lenses! But I was second to write it so I lost.

On the headlights, they do look great! Would they be powerful enough on a car? Motorcycles' headlamps are marked DOT-SAE M where cars' are DOT-SAE H (HH, HR and other variants). They don't light up the same way. For example on a bike the lamps sit much higher than a car so they aren't aimed the same way, maybe on a car they will aim way too low, even after been adjusted. They also don't have the same candelas (similar to lumens) specs which means their beam angle differs and the lighting as well.

Now I understand on our cars most States may not care about this and once registered you may be able to do whatever you want too, but remember lights are there for you to see and others to see you. If you can't see well with the R1's lamps, then maybe you won't want them.

I suggest you test them first before you do a huge facial change.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Lights can upgraded. Projectors cam be retrofitted into the assembles so beam patterns/lumens can all be changed. As long as you can get the lights level I don't see the issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate the concern with the brightness of the headlights. I will definitely be testing the beam pattern as is, but figured I could retrofit the Hella projectors in the kit if needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    Lights can upgraded. Projectors cam be retrofitted into the assembles so beam patterns/lumens can all be changed. As long as you can get the lights level I don't see the issue.
    Yeah I didn't think about that, very good idea! I hope it'll work and we'll see the car on the road soon.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Andrew, sorry to hear about your run-in. Looks like you're on to something here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Andrew, have you made any progress on this modification? The wait is killing me... I'm sure your elbow deep in fiberglass dust at this point.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't made any real progress. I've been busy installing an EFR7163 in my V9 Spec C Type RA swapped Saabaru. Work on the 818 begins after that is done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh very nice. That looks like a lot of fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    So it's been 3 months... any update on this mod?

Post Thanks / Like
    I was toying with another headlight design. You can see some other images in my build thread. The fiberglass work is wrapping up. Soon I'll switch to filler.

27. Likes DSR-3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks good! So you decided on the R1 headlights after all?

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting look. Are you going to do anything about the stock ducting from the R1? How did you mount the light in the fender? Threaded studs...?