Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: POR15 Questions

Post Thanks / Like

POR15 Questions

Getting supplies in order for the impending build and have a couple of POR15 questions for those with experience with it:

1) Did you use their cleaner degreaser and metal prep before the actual preventive coating?
    2) How does this hold up/look compared to powder coating the bare metal parts, e.g. hood hinges, etc.
    3) Is the gloss or semi-gloss black closer to the powder coated frame color?

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    My car is still under construction so I dont know about how it holds up. But it does seem like stout stuff and i did use the spray metal prep. One tip is to buy the small containers because once you open it, then close it the lid may glue itself stuck. you may damage the container trying to pry it open again.
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    I am 16 months into my build and I started out using POR 15 on everything with the cleaner/degreaser and metal prep. It is great stuff but a pain in the neck to prep and apply. About four months ago I bought a used oven and powder coat gun from Eastwood and now I powder coat EVERYTHING including my coffee mugs. I love powder coating.
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, guys. Did you go with the gloss or semi-gloss?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've used the stuff for years VERY STICKY. There were some drops on my concrete driveway 15 years ago and they are still there. I have always used Lacquer thinner a couple of times to prep and never had an issue, the stuff is very forgiving. To vspeeds point the best way to avoid the top getting stuck to the can are to use a plastic bag (like from Home Depot) between can and lid when sealing.One last point WEAR GLOVES. If you get it on your hands you will be scrubbing with Brillo

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, put plastic film under the lid. Cling wrap or Saran works fine. Use disposable brush's, those black foam ones work, and are cheap. wear gloves as mentioned.
    Do not apply it to anything that will be exposed to the sun. Great for frame touch ups, rear end, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR changed the powder coating color at some point so it depends on when you got your kit. They went from gloss black to semigloss or near flat black.
    As others have said, POR is good stuff but a pain to work with. Use it on all the big stuff and get the smaller stuff powder coated or do it yourself. Very simple to do and looks awesome. I have found that POR 15 on things like the hood hinge make it hard to adjust due to its thickness
    Mike