Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Side window fit seems off, see pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Side window fit seems off, see pics.

Got my window in and close to right place. But the window itself seems too long. See photo of rear gap vs front still hitting long before it gets to the weather strip. Any guidance before I do other side and go have the windows adjusted at the glass shop slightly?

Edit, gonna try the other glass in this side.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well we seem to have the same issue, if you look at my thread (https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...3-Hot-Rod-1028, post #172), i ran into the same situation on the passenger side. in the end I will try and have the tempered window sanded down in the rear and a bit in the front. As well, since I am doing that, I placed tape all around the edge and made sure the window conforms to the hard top evenly all around (since i'm getting it sanded might as well get it as close as possible all around!!). Thought i had a picture of the mod and window in but did not. Glas should measure 32" at its widest based on FFR feedback.

As to the drivers side, it seems to have a bit more play (3/16") and will probably not need any window mods, however the front of the slot for the window is very close to the front end of the door (by a good 3/4") versus the passenger side. Will be completing this over the weekend and will post pics as soon as I can to see how we compare. I was going to do the frame setup as you, however when I cut in the slot it seemed to have more meat and needed to grind it back a bit so I am ending up doing it the way FFR is showing to do (with some custom mods as well).
    Last edited by AJT '33; 12-14-2018 at 01:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks AJ.

Regarding the frame, I didn't widen the gap as much as Collins says to, and then I assembled the bottom in the door. The slot for his frame has to be 7/8" longer on each end. I was going to complete the passenger side before I started the driver but now I think I'll move on and go get both sanded if needed. If not, no loss. I will be trimming the top cap angle on the frame to just barely cover the nut clearances on each end. That'll stop it from hanging over at the back. Collins design is good but it's still working within ffr's design.
    Last edited by Svtfreak; 12-14-2018 at 02:00 PM.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    I called FFR and sent them some pics. They told me to try to fit the front windshield in so I did. Sure enough, that lower passenger corner didn't fit right. It appears my top is pulled in in that lower corner causing my problem. They suggested redrilling the mounting holes, heating the top st that corner and pulling it forward to make the fit and shape correct, using windshield fitment as a guide and that will give the right clearance for the windows. I'm going to take a little break and replace the fireplace for my wife, get her reading nook built, to keep her happy she keeps being OK with me building cars. Lol. So, I'll be back on this in a couple weeks or so.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Svtfreak View Post
    I called FFR and sent them some pics. They told me to try to fit the front windshield in so I did. Sure enough, that lower passenger corner didn't fit right. It appears my top is pulled in in that lower corner causing my problem. They suggested redrilling the mounting holes, heating the top st that corner and pulling it forward to make the fit and shape correct, using windshield fitment as a guide and that will give the right clearance for the windows. I'm going to take a little break and replace the fireplace for my wife, get her reading nook built, to keep her happy she keeps being OK with me building cars. Lol. So, I'll be back on this in a couple weeks or so.
    That's interesting, I spoke with Tony Z and provided him dimensions of my side windows and was told I was part of the "unlucky" ones that got the bad batch. They sent me new ones which are slightly narrower so we will be installing those and very carefully adjusting the fit. We wont lock in the window until final assembly after the paint to be sure all will refit as planned. As to sanding, nope can't sand tempered glass (unlike laminated glass which can be carefully sanded to fit)which is why they sent new ones as I had to have the "AS2" marking on it to pass inspection. If it wasn't for that my local window supplier could have made my glass exact and then I would have had it tempered.

6. Likes wrp liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    do not attempt to sand your side windows. They are tempered safety glass and will shatter.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    My side windows measured a hair under 32" so I didn't get the wrong ones. It's Def a top shape issue. I'd rather fix it right than just make things fit. And the windshield will never fit right like it is. So no sanding.

I've got the red *** with it right now so taking a little.break to do that fireplace project this week and next and then I'll tackle that.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I had the same problem with right side, I used a diamond bit on a dremel and sanded some off the front and back of window edges.

10. Thanks JimLev thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok. Bathroom project done and some overtime out the way. Couldn’t wait to get into the shop and try to spread this top a bit. Made up my jack bolts, and they worked. Sorta. Had to reinforce the rod. 1/2” is a long way in fiberglass. But it got there. Bolted top down in new holes. Everything good so far. Measure opening. 32 1/16. Perfect. Then....

*POP*.

Uhoh.

Crap......

Yep. 1/2” is too much. The lower windshield area split. Cracked from too much force on it. I had even spread the needed change out over the entire half but that last bit was just too much.

Got an email in to factory five now to see how to proceed. I could cut pie wedges out and change the shape and reglassthat whole corner but I feel I shouldn’t have to. If the remivebale soft top had side curtains, I’d be looking hard at that right now....

Maybe it’s time to do my bathroom remodel.....

33wannabe, If it was close, I would, but mine was 1/2” too narrow.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster