Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Body alignment

Post Thanks / Like

Body alignment

I have the body on and the quick jack bolts attached and tightened. My question is when I’m looking at he hood opening does it matter that on the drivers side I can see the chassis square tube and on the passenger side the body covers it so I can’t see it. Does it mean the body is not sitting correctly or is that ok?

Thanks
    Craig
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Craig, i think you have it right, are your front tires at about the same placement in the fenders.
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.

Post Thanks / Like
    My build manual had me measure from the top/rear shock mount straight out to the edge of the fender on both sides to be sure that it was equal on both sides. In my case, when I did that, my hood opening is actually equal to the 3/4" tubing on both sides. (in other words it is dead center over both of them)

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    As Carl said, measure from the shock tower to the wheel lip and ignore the square tubes. The bodies are not symmetrical and the hood opening does not match the chassis tubing. Don't believe me...pictures don't lie...take a look at the hood in relation to the rest of the car:

Cheers,
    Jeff

non-symmetrical.jpg

5. Likes BadAsp427 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    And do you know why that is Jeff?

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone forgets that the FFR was designed to donor build. The reason the chassis tube for the upper Rad is cocked is for the original Mustang radiator.....The body …..IT'S JUST LIKE THE ORIGINALS ! They weren't symmetrical either.....and they didn't care ,,,,, cause they were race cars ! lol...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone. I will take a few measurements and check:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    My build manual had me measure from the top/rear shock mount straight out to the edge of the fender on both sides to be sure that it was equal on both sides. In my case, when I did that, my hood opening is actually equal to the 3/4" tubing on both sides. (in other words it is dead center over both of them)

Okay, I need some clarification!

"Measure from the top/rear shock mount", does that means the Rear Wheel Well or the Front Wheel Well?
    I assume it would be the Front Wheel Well area.

Other questions:

1) What is the best place to take measurements for centering the rear axle on a 3-link?

2) Any good measurement places for aligning the rear of the body over the wheels?

Scott
    Last edited by Scott Zackowski; 12-16-2018 at 05:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Zackowski View Post

Okay, I need some clarification!

"Measure from the top/rear shock mount", does that means the Rear Wheel Well or the Front Wheel Well?
    I assume it would be the Front Wheel Well area.

Other questions:

1) What is the best place to take measurements for centering the rear axle on a 3-link?

2) Any good measurement places for aligning the rear of the body over the wheels?

Scott
    Sorry, could have been more clear for you... It is the rear of the front wheel shock mount, top support on each side. I guess the key is just be sure to use the same point from either side of the car to the same part of the body, your just trying to get it centered on the chassis. As for the rear, I did not do any kind of measurements... It just seemed to set down on the rear cabin wall evenly. I'm sure there could be a small amount of movement, but I'll tell you with mine, there is little to no movement in the rear, side to side.

CHECK PAGE 325 of your build manual... I'm looking at manual version 4N, April 2018

Can't help with the 3-link measurements.
    Last edited by BadAsp427; 12-16-2018 at 08:10 PM.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the clarification.

My build manual is way older (slow builder but enjoying every minute or should I say year).

I don't think my Mk4 build manual discusses this.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Zackowski View Post
    Thanks for the clarification.

My build manual is way older (slow builder but enjoying every minute or should I say year).

I don't think my Mk4 build manual discusses this.

Scott
    My actual manual is from 2015... I'm sure it is in there under the "Body" section... I also use the latest electronic version. Glad I could help.