Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  44
Likes Likes:  161
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: GTBradley's build - Still Kick'n!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Nice!

What is it? Looks like Guardsman but photos and monitors can be deceiving.

Jeff
    Computer guy too! Man, you do it all! You are correct sir. However, the difficult part was getting a formula conversion for DuPont paint. We finally found a 1964 mustang that would work - it looks even lighter than that on my monitors, but I haven't seen it in person yet... My range of desired and acceptable blue was broad enough that I'm not disappointed if it is a little lighter.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 09-20-2019 at 09:21 AM.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like

Picking the roadster up in the rain

So, I'm headed to KC this weekend to pick up the car and it looks like rain. Possibly a lot of rain. The car carrier is open, but I'm planning to use my car cover with a tarp over that and a stretchy cargo net over all of it to keep things from flapping in the wind. Anyone see a problem with this? Any suggestions? It's a good soft car cover, but I'm putting it over one week old paint...
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTBradley View Post
    So, I'm headed to KC this weekend to pick up the car and it looks like rain. Possibly a lot of rain. The car carrier is open, but I'm planning to use my car cover with a tarp over that and a stretchy cargo net over all of it to keep things from flapping in the wind. Anyone see a problem with this? Any suggestions? It's a good soft car cover, but I'm putting it over one week old paint...
    Just let it get wet. Rain won't damage it...a cover, any cover, potentially will.

Jeff

4. Likes Jetfuel, Bart@SnakeFarm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm dying to know...how was your trip home?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart@SnakeFarm View Post
    I'm dying to know...how was your trip home?
    600 miles of dodging and juking thunderstorms just like my KC Chiefs. I made it with not so much as a drop of rain inside the roadster. I did it without the cover the whole way too.
    Bradley

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    600 miles of dodging and juking thunderstorms just like my KC Chiefs. I made it with not so much as a drop of rain inside the roadster. I did it without the cover the whole way too.
    The Moral Of The Story:

Never Underestimate The Power of God Nor The Perseverance Of A Factory Five Family Member To Keep His Car Dry!

PS: Except For Mr. Kleiner!

8. Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good to hear! You must be living right. I'm glad you decided against the cover although you likely had to wave at a lot more people that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    My gas stop in Colby, KS netted four full conversations and one hoot-n-holler driveby.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 09-24-2019 at 10:18 AM.
    Bradley

11. Likes Papa, Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Headed east to KC to pick up Roadster on Friday

I went with with an open car carrier rented from U-Haul knowing there were major storms forecasted for Kansas. The U-Haul car carrier is great but not covered and at least 1000 pounds heavier than needed for my purposes.

524EB80D-5E93-48FF-BFFF-87A6BD74C4C8.jpegC2C16921-C696-4591-AA46-150280E488AD.jpegB45202FB-DE80-4623-8108-8B1D17B767F4.jpeg
    Last edited by GTBradley; 09-24-2019 at 03:59 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    I stopped in Abilene overnight and Saturday I got word that we were delayed until noon making the the chances for getting caught in thunderstorms even worse. I headed the rest of the way to KC with storms coming up from the south rapidly - this was going to be a race against the weather.

Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    When I got to Grain Valley, east of KC, it started to rain right on queue! So we stayed in the paint shop admiring the Cobra, she looked fantastic!

Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Once the rain took a break we pulled outside and voilà the color seemed to transform. I liked it even better!

We loaded it up and I took off to the south towards Kingsville where my sister lives and my family would be gathering. The clouds looked ominous, but they wouldn't let loose.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Once at my sister's house we got the cobra down off the carrier and took some rides up and down a country lane.

This is my daughter Heather and me

Last edited by GTBradley; 09-25-2019 at 07:59 AM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Back on the trailer and off to Abilene again.

Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Right after I left all heck broke loose

I didn’t have a garage in Abilene, but I was willing to sleep in the suv under a car wash bay for protection if it came to that and it almost did, but the severe storms pulled north of I-70 just before reaching Abilene. I covered her up when the storms seemed to have passed and slept somewhat well. In the morning the storms were still pounding KC but it was all past me. Another car show for more family on Sunday morning and I was headed west again with clear skies and a tailwind.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 09-24-2019 at 05:41 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    At my brother-in-law’s house this one seemed to be telling me he wanted a ride in the roadster. But he’s an 80 pound six-month-old puppy...

Last edited by GTBradley; 09-25-2019 at 08:00 AM.
    Bradley

20. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of waves from passerby and a grin on my face all the way home

Home once again

Last edited by GTBradley; 09-25-2019 at 12:11 AM.
    Bradley

22. Likes FF33rod, PeteMeindl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wipers

I got back to work the day after getting home in hopes of getting the registration process started the very next week. My goal has been to make it to the final Golden Colorado Super Cruise for this season October 5th.

First up was the wipers, which are required in Colorado.

The tubing supplied from FFR is very hard and I bent my tubing bender on it. My flaring tool was of no use either, even though I just wanted a single flair. I ended up using a punch and hammer. I works well as there is a nice tapper on the punch. I bent the tubing over an air tank of the right diameter. Install, uninstall, install, uninstall...when I had them about right I turned them on and they made a terrible racket. I forgot the Lithium grease - retried and still some unacceptable noise. I reduced the radius of the bend a bit and suddenly they were quiet and working nicely, time to add the wiper arms. One worked fine the other stripped out it's splines immediately. To fix it, I drilled and tapped a chrome screw into the splined shaft through the bottom of the arm cup where it's hard to see.

The radius is difficult to get even without the proper bending tool, but I discovered that the whole thing is impossible to see without laying your head on the engine anyway.

Last edited by GTBradley; 09-06-2020 at 05:33 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    A combination of factors resulted in my neighbor burning his calf on the side pipe during a test ride: I forgot to remind him to step over; the pipe was sticking out 1 1/2" to far; and he was wearing shorts. I got the wedges from Breeze and fixed the angle, but I guess I'm going to buy the heat shields too. Sorry again Brad (neighbor)

Anybody have recommendations for heat shields?

Last edited by GTBradley; 09-06-2020 at 05:33 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried the foam noodles on the knock-offs to keep them from rotating, but not very elegant IMO and they tend to crush over time. Instead I went with the O-rings from Amazon

They could fit somewhat tighter, but they seem to work, so I'm going to go with this solution for now

Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Setting the ride height is not my favorite task. I set it before paint at 4 1/2" and when it came back it was at 3 1/2". I set it again to 4 1/2" but each time takes multiple rounds of up on the jack pull the wheels set the shocks and reverse...]
    Last edited by GTBradley; 10-13-2019 at 10:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Seat Brackets - Breeze

I avoided dealing with the seats for the longest time, but I finally tackled that task and it wasn't too bad. I used the Breeze brackets and routed the seat heat wires between the plates and out the side toward the trans tunnel. I did cut the carpet for the plates but mounted over the Thermo Tec thinking that this way less vibration might be transmitted to the seat.

Last edited by GTBradley; 09-06-2020 at 05:36 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Wheel Well Panels

With the installation of the wheel well panels things worked mostly okay. I ran out of rivet nuts, so I went ahead and used regular rivets. It'll be easy enough to drill out the rivets if I need to remove the panels later.

The driver's side panel didn't fit as well as I would like. I'm not sure if, or how, I'm going to fill the gap up at the top. Anyone else have this issue? The passenger side fit well at least.

Last edited by GTBradley; 09-06-2020 at 05:37 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    I went old school on the fender badges - like everything else on the car a casual observer will see. I believe these went mostly on the FIA 289 cars, but hey, they look good!

Last edited by GTBradley; 10-08-2019 at 01:28 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    So the nice lady at the DMV gave me a 2-day temp tag to drive the car to the State Patrol in Castle Rock CO for safety inspection (28 miles round-trip). First real drive impression - OMG! did you all know these cars are really fast? I ended up talking for two hours with four troopers and one other customer and having a mini car show. Passed with flying blue colors.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 10-08-2019 at 01:41 PM.
    Bradley

31. Likes Mark Eaton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Broken Windscreen - Replaced with Lexan

Back to the DMV and got another nice lady (after being handed off from the mean one). She gave me a 60-day temp tag and and I was feeling pretty darn good...until I cracked my windshield about two seconds later. I didn't, as you might have guessed, break it with a visor screw. I did however, break it trying to fix the threads for the visor screw, as I couldn't even get the screw started. Very bad design!

Distraught to say the least, but the next morning I set out to rectify the situation. I researched alternatives to glass and found that the racers replace their glass with Lexan. Drove to a plastics shop in Denver and bought a 3/16” by 4x8 sheet of Makrolon AR-2 (Tuffak). I cut off a piece big enough for the windscreen and laid it under the original glass to trace it. I cut out the new piece with a jigsaw and coarse blade. It leaves a mostly smooth cut on the edge and the curve of the original glass windscreen is adopted because the frame is curved. Very bendy this stuff! Try as I might with my clumsy use of sharp (and dull) tools, I was not able to put a single scratch on it.

This is exceedingly easy to do and I suggest that anyone who wants to try it, go for it! I’ll be selling the other half of my poly-carbonate sheet, so my cost will only be $200.

Last edited by GTBradley; 08-06-2021 at 09:46 AM.
    Bradley

33. Thanks Mark Eaton thanked for this post
    Likes PeteMeindl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Success - objective met!

Success! I met my original objective - I drove the Golden Super Cruise Saturday night with my new plastic windscreen, and did a canyon drive after that - 80 miles and never once thought about the lack of glass. Love this stuff!

Last edited by GTBradley; 10-08-2019 at 02:22 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    The paint color turned out great! Happy to see that the lexan is working for you, keep up the good work!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PrestonT23 View Post
    The paint color turned out great! Happy to see that the lexan is working for you, keep up the good work!
    Thanks. I haven’t posted much lately because I’ve been working on finishing touches and enjoying the car. Pictures to come soon.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like that you painted your louvers. Just a personal preference as there is plenty of chrome on these cars anyways and does not cut into the beautiful color.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KDubU View Post
    I really like that you painted your louvers. Just a personal preference as there is plenty of chrome on these cars anyways and does not cut into the beautiful color.
    Thanks, that’s exactly what I was going for, I even had the painter do a matte finish with the clear coat on the louvers.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Went to the track today to see my friend Bob Cowan race.

Last edited by GTBradley; 10-13-2019 at 08:36 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Just received a letter from the Colorado Dept of Revenue that the VIN application has been approved! Now I just have to figure out a personalized license plate.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Just received a letter from the Colorado Dept of Revenue that the VIN application has been approved! Now I just have to figure out a personalized license plate.
    That's great news! The process seems to have gone pretty smoothly for you. Any pointers you can share? I'll be going through it in a few weeks.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    GTBradley, Your car looks great and I have enjoyed reading you thread. Thanks for posting, you've go me second guessing my planned color scheme.

Mark
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    So this guy walks up Sunday while I was at the track and compliments me on the car - says his name is David Uhl..."Thanks and nice to meet you" right?. He said he is a painter, so I look him up later...wow! I had no idea who I was talking to:

https://www.uhlstudios.com/artwork/c...rks/snake-oil/
    Last edited by GTBradley; 10-14-2019 at 09:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    That's great news! The process seems to have gone pretty smoothly for you. Any pointers you can share? I'll be going through it in a few weeks.

Dave
    Yeah, don't break your glass!

Other than that follow everything you said to me. It's all been straight forward, just a lot of trips to the DMV and a couple to the State Patrol. They will give you a two day temp tag to go to the inspection just don't go to get it until you are within the 2 two day window of your appointment - which you set on-line, BTW.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eaton View Post
    GTBradley, Your car looks great and I have enjoyed reading you thread. Thanks for posting, you've go me second guessing my planned color scheme.

Mark
    Thanks. I saw Ken Miles' car at the Shelby American Museum in Boulder, Colorado and said "I like that". Later I dumbed it down to "what will make people remember that car they saw back in the 60's, the one that made them think "I'm gonna have that car some day".
    Last edited by GTBradley; 10-14-2019 at 05:36 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome news, GT!

48. Likes GTBradley liked this post
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast