FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  44
Likes Likes:  161
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: GTBradley's build - Still Kick'n!

Post Thanks / Like
    My engine/transmission kit from FFR will come on the same truck as the kit, so they tell me.
    I hope Stewart Transport has come up with a way to get that 500lb pallet down & off the truck with the gantry crane... 'cause the trailer that dropped off my kit didn't have a lift gate.
    003.jpg

(My Coyote was shipped truck freight w/ lift gate, and the driver just rolled the crate on a pallet jack right to the garage.)

You'd better check on this.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTBradley View Post
    Thanks Pete, hey aren't you the guy with the God-like status and a car body in your living room? I don't think anyone felt worthy after seeing that picture. I too have a family involved in the build, in particular my fifteen-year-old son.
    Question for you, how do you put up such big pretty pictures? I've seen people use photobucket, but personally I find that service annoying.

Bradley
    Ha! We do have the car body in our living room but i certainly don't deserve any god-like status... I'm just a novice at this and learning way more from everyone else here than i could ever contribute! Thanks, though!

Yeah, i learned to post pictures using the link that Papa sent out of David Hodgkins post. Like Papa said, it takes a little bit to learn how but once you get the hang of it, it works just fine and it's nice to have the bigger pictures embedded in the thread. If you have any questions as you go through those instructions, feel free to ping me.

3. Thanks GTBradley thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Edwardb, what size fuel return are you using? I'm learning something about aeration issues using the 255 lph in-tank pump and it's stock ¼” OD return port.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll check on that lift gate or other mode of offload. Thanks for the heads up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Edwardb, what size fuel return are you using? I'm learning something about aeration issues using the 255 lph in-tank pump and it's stock ¼” OD return port.
    I've used full 3/8-inch supply and return lines for both my Coyote builds, along with the fuel pump hanger from Pro-M. http://www.promracing.com/high-flow-...-mustangs.html. Not an inexpensive approach, and doesn't use many of the parts from Factory Five or any of the usual vendors. Certainly some debate about whether this is necessary and others report their setups with different parts work fine. But didn't want to have any issues and haven't. My #8674 build thread (link in sig line below) is a very similar configuration as you're planning. The build thread describes this fuel system as well as a bunch of other approaches I took with the build. FWIW.
    Last edited by edwardb; 12-18-2018 at 11:04 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve read your thread on that and reread the part on the in-tank fuel pump again this morning. In fact, you convinced me of the value of having an in-tank fuel pump in the first place.

I’m going to hold off returning any of the fuel system for a while. I need to get more comfortable with what I want. I watched this video and was thrown a bit by the Ford supplied fuel pump and the video’s claimed aeration issues and small return port. Have you seen this?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ium8jf4Jm04&t=19s
    Last edited by GTBradley; 12-19-2018 at 11:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I watched this video and was thrown a bit by the Ford supplied fuel pump and the video’s claimed aeration issues and small return port. Have you seen this?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ium8jf4Jm04&t=19s
    Sure. That's from Pro-M. Also linked from the product page I posted previously. Don't question that's a good thing to fix. My main motivators for their fuel pump hanger though was (1) Full 3/8-inch supply and return, (2) -6AN fittings standard.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, Stewart transport said they can handle the eng/trans 500 pound pallet with their truck no problem. Problem is, there was mix up in the quote and Stewart upped what I was expecting to pay by $600. That coupled with the extra fuel system parts pushed me to cancel the eng/tran kit order from FFR.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 12-21-2018 at 03:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike will do you right... He's a great guy.
    Again, when you talk to Mike & order, remind him that it's "residential, lift gate delivery".

2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    I have talked to him already a couple of times. Great guy. I’ll let him know, thanks.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got an update from Stewart. My delivery has been moved up a couple of weeks. I heard a couple of days ago that it was a possibility, but I wasn’t convinced. Turns out, the Mk4 got on the truck late today.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

Post Thanks / Like
    .... - Keep the cable clutch actuator - seems like something I can change out later anyway....
    Welcome. As you read "Everyone" posts, you'll find that we ALL have different ideas. Take the best that meets your vision, and enjoy the build. Ask lots of questions. There is a lot of experience and helpful hands/ideas within your reach.

You need to research the cable vs hydraulic set-up. Not sure if your engine control set-up requires one or two clutch switches (used to be two but I believe only one is now required). If you're going hydraulic, need to set it up prior to the DS footbox sheetmetal is installed, definitely prior to body install. Would be easier to install on trans prior to install too.
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 12-20-2018 at 08:22 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I am definitely going to look closely at it. Sounds like things are pretty tight, especially with the coyote in there. I did try a FFR cable clutch for feel the other day and though it was a little effort to actuate, it was easy to hold. Not like the old days.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Things are beginning to arrive. This is going to be a good Christmas.

Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations!
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

18. Thanks GTBradley thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Great news!

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately, I have not seen the car in person yet. I don’t know if this has been done before, but I couldn’t be there for the delivery, so I received it via security cam and a neighbor. Scott with Stewart was a real pro and a genuinely nice guy. I’m still not home, but I visit her by baby cam nightly. D1ABAABA-086E-4146-A3E6-233E94F8E254.jpeg
    Bradley

21. Likes VAHokie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! The anticipation is probably killing you right now. Good luck and enjoy the journey.
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul2STL View Post
    Congratulations! The anticipation is probably killing you right now. Good luck and enjoy the journey.
    It’s tuff. As a teenager working at Montgomery Wards Department store I hated inventory more than anything else. Now I can’t wait to do it.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG!!! Congratulations!!!! When do you get to see it “live”?
    I’d be going crazy. I haven’t done anything yet, but at least I get to see ours everyday

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Why do I have this funny feeling that the pickup is going to move to the single bay, and the MkIV will somehow "slide over" to the double bay?? dunno.gif

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SSNK4US View Post
    OMG!!! Congratulations!!!! When do you get to see it “live”?
    I’d be going crazy. I haven’t done anything yet, but at least I get to see ours everyday

Kurt
    Very soon. I have to act as though I prefer being at the Xmas celebration at the mother-in-law’s first.
    Bradley

27. Likes PeteMeindl, Ehartsock liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    Why do I have this funny feeling that the pickup is going to move to the single bay, and the MkIV will somehow "slide over" to the double bay?? dunno.gif
    The single bay is looking tighter than I anticipated. I promised the wife though, that I wouldn’t ever spread into all three.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay my first question to you guys during inventory. Can anyone confirm this part is:
    16588 - trunk hinge arm w/gas strut mount?
    FF4CA286-250A-4D2C-8708-F2AE1AE9D66D.jpeg
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay my first question to you guys during inventory. Can anyone confirm this part is:
    16588 - trunk hinge arm w/gas strut mount?
    FF4CA286-250A-4D2C-8708-F2AE1AE9D66D.jpeg
    Yes. Those are the trunk hinge arms. Pretty new update adding the gas strut mount. Nice improvement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Yes. Those are the trunk hinge arms. Pretty new update adding the gas strut mount. Nice improvement.
    Thanks Paul, I left them out and forgot what box they were from.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Inventory is going well.

I got a late start what with Holiday travels - a cold - and the cold. It’s been in single digits temperature wise lately and with the cold (virus) I brought back from Kansas I’ve been a little less than sharp. My garage heater can only do so much on a zero degree day, but I’ve been at it and almost done with inventory. It’s probably the best task for me right now because it’s hard to mess it up and I can’t hurt myself...much.

The good news is, my POL list is fairly short and there are few inaccuracies on the packing lists. The only major items on b/o are headers and some power steering parts, none of which will hold things up early on.

I sent my check for engine and transmission last Friday, so that monster crate will be be here and inspiring me soon.

Things are pretty organized and out of the way. Prior storage prep seems to be paying off. I plan to get the body off and stored on its ceiling suspension system soon. (Note to self: stop saying “I store the body up there” people look at you funny when you say it that way.)

Hoping to get some suspension parts installed this weekend.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 01-04-2019 at 12:14 AM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    I sent my check for engine and transmission last Friday, so that monster crate will be be here and inspiring me soon.
    And what will be inside that crate???

Post Thanks / Like
    And what will be inside that crate???
    I had a tough time with that decision - build an engine, do a blue print engine, go with current technology and dependability...
    I finally settled on the Coyote. Let's face it, it was Ford's new technology that made those early cars winners and with my wife in mind I decided to make this a daily driver. So, I bought the Coyote/TKO600 package from Mike Forte. He has a pretty sweet deal right now and I trust his extensive experience, certainly more than mine.

I'm still struggling with the Coyote install package from FFR. I hear I need it, but have never understood what's in it.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still struggling with the Coyote install package from FFR. I hear I need it, but have never understood what's in it.
    Motor mount spacers (required), brackets to mount the PCM and PDB (which you could make if you wanted to, but why...), brackets for the clutch switch(s) (depends on the version Coyote you have, probably only one), bracket for the accelerator pedal, and a whole bunch of fittings, hoses, terminals, hardware, etc. that align with their installation instructions. I'd suggest buying it. I did my #8674 build before this package was available, so it's certainly possible. But I did go back and buy their motor mount spacers right after they were released. Note I'm saying that without knowing what Mike includes in his Coyote package. But I'm guessing there isn't much in common.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am planning the same Coyote/TKO install and through discussions with Forte and FF it appears the FF installation kit is worth while. I have been going through the same trials about which engine to go with and like you landed on the Coyote for newer technology, dependability, and it actually is significantly cheaper than a SBF with bolt on EFI.

Still trying to decide on my source for power steering. Seems the easiest option is to get the FFR kit.

Looking forward to following the rest of your build.
    MKIV #9542 Complete Kit, Coyote, IRS - Delivered - 2/19/19, First start - 9/8/19, Go Cart - 9/14/19
    1965 Mustang Convertible 4v 289
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Motor mount spacers (required), brackets to mount the PCM and PDB (which you could make if you wanted to, but why...), brackets for the clutch switch(s) (depends on the version Coyote you have, probably only one), bracket for the accelerator pedal, and a whole bunch of fittings, hoses, terminals, hardware, etc. that align with their installation instructions. I'd suggest buying it. I did my #8674 build before this package was available, so it's certainly possible. But I did go back and buy their motor mount spacers right after they were released. Note I'm saying that without knowing what Mike includes in his Coyote package. But I'm guessing there isn't much in common.
    Helpful as always Paul, that’s valuable information. I’ve been hesitating to spend an additional $475.00 if it wasn’t something really needed. Sounds like people think it’s worth it.

I guess I’ll call FFR to order it, especially since I can’t find it on their parts webpage.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzzz View Post
    I am planning the same Coyote/TKO install and through discussions with Forte and FF it appears the FF installation kit is worth while. I have been going through the same trials about which engine to go with and like you landed on the Coyote for newer technology, dependability, and it actually is significantly cheaper than a SBF with bolt on EFI.

Still trying to decide on my source for power steering. Seems the easiest option is to get the FFR kit.

Looking forward to following the rest of your build.
    Agreed. And thanks for the input.

I looked at different options for the ps, but finally decided FF was the easiest and not much different on price. It was one of my last minute panic decisions before shipping. I had settled on anti-sway bars front and back, but discovered that most people say the car doesn’t have body roll problems to begin with and the bars are more suited to the track. I also was going to forgo the power steering because I just didn’t think the weight of this car justified it. Again, reading that most people believe it is more about driving geometry and feel rather than convenience made me change my mind.

Mike is a really friendly and knowledgeable guy and that helped me decide to go with him plus the discounts, free shipping, etc. There are lots of places to get the eng/trans setup though.

Are you you going to do a build thread? I highly recommend it. Somebody has got to keep these guys entertained. Might as well be us.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I'm reading, the F panels don't actually have to be installed first, right? I'd like to drill the holes and then start on the front suspension, but come back later to actually mount the F panels. Reason being, I'm still figuring how to do my powder coating.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    That's correct. You can jig them up, drill holes, and set them aside for awhile... but getting the rivets in to the center area with the suspension arms in place probably won't happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's correct. You can jig them up, drill holes, and set them aside for awhile... but getting the rivets in to the center area with the suspension arms in place probably won't happen.
    Great thanks.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 01-05-2019 at 01:38 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Panels square footage

Has anybody ever estimated the sq ft of all the panels? I got a price today from one vendor for $2.50 per sq foot times two sides to powder coat.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Bradley,

I used four rolls of Thermo-Tec (15 square feet per roll) and didn't do the trunk, which is probably another 15-20 square feet. My estimate would be ~75-80 square feet, so 150-160 square feet for your estimate, which right at $400. Not a bad deal at all for our area.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_7382.JPG
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Bradley,

I used four rolls of Thermo-Tec (15 square feet per roll) and didn't do the trunk, which is probably another 15-20 square feet. My estimate would be ~75-80 square feet, so 150-160 square feet for your estimate, which right at $400. Not a bad deal at all for our area.

Dave
    That, I think, may be a pretty good estimate. I laid the panels out on the floor and did a straight width times length and came up with 112 sq ft. If you figure 25% area for gaps that's 84 sq ft. times 2 = 168 sq ft for both sides.

I weighed the panels to see how consistent I could get. 53 lbs was what I came up with on a bathroom scale. 6061-T6, 0.4" thick aluminum panels according to TW Metals weighs 0.56 lbs per square foot. 53 / 0.56 = 94.6. Check my math on this, but that would indicate about 190 square feet for both sides. So, $400 to $475 is pretty good. This doesn't include brackets or hardware I might add like the hood hinges.

This all makes me realize that Factory Five probably knows the exact number. It would be really handy to find that out for getting accurate quotes.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 01-07-2019 at 09:36 PM.
    Bradley

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast