BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  44
Likes Likes:  161
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: GTBradley's build - Still Kick'n!

Post Thanks / Like

Cruise Control for Coyote

I was asked recently about the cruise control I installed and responded with: well it goes like this, blah, blah and "I wrote it up on my build thread". For which the response was "ah, no you didn't" or something like that. Anyway, I remember now that I decided to omit it because others had already done it. But it may be handy to have it here for someone, so here goes...

After seeing firsthand how TMartinLVNV's cruise control works, I purchased a cruise control kit from The Cruise Control Store. Since I have the drive-by-wire accelerator pedal for the Coyote I opted for their pedal interface cable. You don't need it, but working under the dash in this car really sucks and this part of the wiring is quick with the harness. For the interface I used the Universal control switch without indicator light because I wanted to mount it under the dash where it would be out of sight.

250-1882 Universal Cruise for Drive by Wire ETC Hotrod classic Cars
    250-3593 Universal Cruise Control Switch Dash Mount Without Engage light
    250-2761 Ford / Chrysler / Mopar Rostra Pedal Interface Harness
    Installation instructions PDF

The system is simple enough, but getting my head wrapped around the wiring took some thinking and a call to the Cruise Control Store to verify my thoughts. The problem is, their wiring schematic includes more than one model and it makes you think that you need to do more than you do.

The work is all done under dash and at the driveshaft. I mounted the control module to the left footwell wall; the control switch to a dash support bracket; and the transducer/pickup coil to the driveshaft safety loop.
    There are also two magnets which are affixed to the driveshaft itself with marine epoxy and a zip tie to keep them in place until it dries. The epoxy is messy stuff and as you can see is white and tends to get on everything. The two magnets are on opposite sides of the shaft and are positioned left and right in the picture. The spacing between the transducer/pickup coil and magnets is not critical, but I set it as close as I thought I could. One caution is, don't use the speed nut provided to mount the transducer. Use a nylon locknut as the speed nut backed out on me from vibration.

The interface harness is straight forward, just unplug Coyote harness from the pedal and connect the supplied harness in-between the pedal and Coyote harness with the third plug going to the CC module.

Some connections need to be made to the brake, clutch, ignition switches and they are time consuming but not difficult.

There is a divider module that gets incorporated into the wiring and it complicates things a bit but is actually not bad either. I made notes on the wiring diagram to help me visualize its wiring. Use with caution:

I'm very pleased with the Cruise Control unit and the support I got from the people at the The Cruise Control Store.

I love being able to pull my leg back from the gas pedal on long trips, it has made a big difference to my back comfort. The module is out of sight and I did have to get used to the functions by feel, but it's easy to access. One drawback on the location of the control switch I realized is, it is in-line with the water drip area from the windscreen post. I'll need to address that at some point.

It is very precise and quick to respond. It guns the engine a little bit to let you know it is in control, but it sticks to the speed you set it at. I can accelerate, decelerate, resume, turn off and on, but there is no cancel function, which would have been nice. A quick and slight tap of the brake pedal, just enough to actuate the brake lights, is enough to cancel/disengage the cruise, but keeps it ready to resume its previous speed.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 12-22-2022 at 11:54 AM.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

2. Thanks JohnK, JDFinley, 460.465USMC, toadster thanked for this post
    25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    awesome job!!!
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

4. Thanks GTBradley thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bradley

I saw your mention of needing to raise the PDB due to the firewall forward. Where did you end up relocating it to? I'm laying out my Coyote harness now and don't want to install it too low (or too high) for access.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smccoy View Post
    Bradley

I saw your mention of needing to raise the PDB due to the firewall forward. Where did you end up relocating it to? I'm laying out my Coyote harness now and don't want to install it too low (or too high) for access.
    I moved it straight up to where the top is 4 1/2 inches under the cowel. Enough that the front plug wasn’t so close to the engine, but with enough clearance that I can still get the cover off and be able to see the fuses.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTBradley View Post
    I moved it straight up to where the top is 4 1/2 inches under the cowel. Enough that the front plug wasn’t so close to the engine, but with enough clearance that I can still get the cover off and be able to see the fuses.
    Thanks! Since there's only the bulb seal adding thickness between firewall and body, I imagine it will be close to 4.5 from top of firewall too. This was on my plan for today, but alas got sidetracked with 5 different things to get done on the car instead...

8. Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still kick'n

Pro-solo pics from last fall:

Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    So, these are my race wheels and I'm thinking about powder coating them, but don't know what color to do...

I have black pipes and the black quick jacks for the track and would like to do something crazy for these wheels. Suggestions?
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    So, these are my race wheels and I'm thinking about powder coating them, but don't know what color to do...

I have black pipes and the black quick jacks for the track and would like to do something crazy for these wheels. Suggestions?
    Hey Bradley,

Good to see you are still using and abusing that car! I like those wheels just the way they are, but if I were PC'n them, I might go with a gunmetal gray. I know, not crazy like you mentioned, but would look pretty sharp.

For something a bit more crazy:

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, mostly abusing - front license plate bracket broke and I need those spats you have because of too many chips. Whoa what wheel does that thing come from? Ten studs!?
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, mostly abusing - front license plate bracket broke and I need those spats you have because of too many chips. Whoa what wheel does that thing come from? Ten studs!?
    I have no idea what car(s) that wheel fits, but the ten holes are for two different 5-lug patterns. It was the color that I was thinking you might like. Someone was selling a set of the aluminum spats a while back. Not sure if they are still available. If not, Very Cool Parts is where I got them.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I like the gray idea and am considering the historical white too. I saw that Doug up in Greeley was buying some of those spats - waiting to hear from him how good they are.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Bradley,
    I sent you a lengthy reply, but forgot to say… I got mine from Martin (magicmarto) out here on the forum, but I think you already knew that. Martin does a really good job getting them close, but you’ll have to finish massaging them into place. Maybe ask Dave (papa) regarding what he had to do in terms of getting his to lay nice? I know that the aluminum thickness has to be factored in on how easy or hard it will be in terms of getting them to match the complex curves on the body of rear wheel. I am satisfied w/Martin’s and I know they’ll hold up to even the biggest rocks/debris that get shot at them. BTW, your car looks awesome!

Doug
    Dj or Doug or TheLateDude
    ----- #19 of 25th Anniversary MKIV 9769 -----
    Build Link: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Slow-Progress
    Ordered: Oct 07, 2019 / Production: Dec 28th, 2019 / Shipped: Jan 19th, 2019 First Start: In the future... / Graduation: Even further in the future...

16. Thanks GTBradley thanked for this post
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617