Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  44
Likes Likes:  161
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: GTBradley's build - Still Kick'n!

Post Thanks / Like

Body and panels are off.

Bar frame.jpeg
    I built a lightweight/small dolly for the stages before the kit gets heavy and it works pretty well.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 01-08-2019 at 09:46 PM.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like

Control Arms

I installed the control arms with some difficulty. I'm pretty sure they are correct now, but the upper control arm was assembled at the FF incorrectly. I put the ball joints in the way the manual instructed, but after it was on the chassis I noticed that the grease zerks were pointing down. I labeled a photo of the assembly for others to see how it should go, provided it's right, please let me know for sure.
    Upper cntrl arm.jpeg
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

Post Thanks / Like

Lower control arms

I did add the spacer washer on the driver side, back side of the lower control arm as the manual instructs and one was enough, but on the passenger side I was able to add a spacer to both back and front sides. Washer front.jpeg
    Seems like the right thing to do, though there is a small gap even when torqued down.Gap.jpeg
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTBradley View Post
    I installed the control arms with some difficulty. I'm pretty sure they are correct now, but the upper control arm was assembled at the FF incorrectly. I put the ball joints in the way the manual instructed, but after it was on the chassis I noticed that the grease zerks were pointing down. I labeled a photo of the assembly for others to see how it should go, provided it's right, please let me know for sure.
    Upper cntrl arm.jpeg
    You've got it right. The upside down assembly comes from the supplier. Did you use thread locker on the ball joints? If not, you'll want to do so to keep them from backing out. Also, some paint marks will help you monitor if they are moving or not.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Shock and spindles.

My POL was fairly short and had just small items on it, but unfortunately the spring hat and another shock component are on it. My question to the group would be can I go on to do the spindles and come back to the shocks and springs later? It looks like this shouldn't be a problem, but if it is I can wait.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    My POL was fairly short and had just small items on it, but unfortunately the spring hat and another shock component are on it. My question to the group would be can I go on to do the spindles and come back to the shocks and springs later? It looks like this shouldn't be a problem, but if it is I can wait.
    Go right ahead.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dave I did use the thread locker blue on the ball joints, though the PS ball joint was so tight I can't imagine it ever coming off. I'll put the paint marks on it, good tip.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, I'll go do that right now. You guys are super helpful. Thanks.

I'd like to post the picture of the body hoisted up to the ceiling, but the darn picture keeps turning upside down when I upload it.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Go right ahead.

Jeff
    Jeff, I read your post about the bare aluminum panels today. You really have me rethinking the powder coating. I like saving the money and the panels look so good.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Upper cntrl arm.jpeg
    Thanks for the pic and explanation - will be helpful when I start the front suspension. Keep up the good work!
    MKIV Complete Kit #9494 l Delivered 1/5/19 l First Start 11/28/20 l First Go-kart 4/11/21 l Carb'd 347 l Mid-shift TKO600 l 3.55 IRS l P/S l Forte Mechanical Throttle Linkage l RT Turn Signal, Drop Trunk l Breeze Upper/Lower Radiator Support, Fan Shroud l Boig Upper/Lower Cool Tubes & Quiet Pipes l 18" FFR Gasser Wheels l Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure thing. I’m learning that all sources available are required to avoid problems: FF YouTube videos, the manual and the forum at a minimum. It was telling to see the the guy in the FFR video use an impact wrench on the wheel nuts and the wheel hub box warns against doing just that.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Hubs installed - where’s the grease?

I know it’s been a long time since I’ve worked on wheel bearings, but is there really no extra grease to put inside before the dust cap goes on?
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    I know it’s been a long time since I’ve worked on wheel bearings, but is there really no extra grease to put inside before the dust cap goes on?
    No, they are sealed bearings.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve gotten a few things done, although I’m skipping the power steering and shocks for now as both have parts I’m waiting on. In the mean time, I’ve installed the upper and lower control arms on the rear, the center section, axels and the spindles.

I’m on the rear brakes now and Wilwood instructions say to start with at least one .029” shim, but it appears the caliper is more centered with no shims between the bracket and upright. Does that seem okay? Wilwood only sent me 2 .625 o.d. Washers for the lock nuts that hold the calipers on the brackets. I assume I can get 2 more replacements at the hardware store?
    Last edited by GTBradley; 01-17-2019 at 09:43 AM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m on the rear brakes now and Wilwood instructions say to start with at least one .029” shim, but it appears the caliper is more centered with no shims between the bracket and upright. Does that seem okay? Wilwood only sent me 2 .625 o.d. Washers for the lock nuts that hold the calipers on the brackets. I assume I can get 2 more replacements at the hardware store?
    Do what's necessary to get them centered properly. I've installed those brakes a few times, but don't remember the exact shims required. The instructions are only giving you a starting point. But they give you plenty of extras in difference thicknesses. So add or remove as necessary to get everything aligned properly. I'm surprised about missing hardware. Wilwood is usually really good and thorough about that. I don't recall the exact one you're talking about. But their hardware is all very specific and also hardened. You may be able to find something suitable. Or call Wilwood and I'll bet they'd send what you're missing.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Do what's necessary to get them centered properly. I've installed those brakes a few times, but don't remember the exact shims required. The instructions are only giving you a starting point. But they give you plenty of extras in difference thicknesses. So add or remove as necessary to get everything aligned properly. I'm surprised about missing hardware. Wilwood is usually really good and thorough about that. I don't recall the exact one you're talking about. But their hardware is all very specific and also hardened. You may be able to find something suitable. Or call Wilwood and I'll bet they'd send what you're missing.
    Yeah, It just surprised me that I didn't need any shims. I don't know what happened to this batch, but not only did they short me two washers, they gave me 24 extra washers for the bolts that go on the bolts holding the hat to the disc. I''l give them a call on the missing ones and see if they are special enough to wait on replacements from Wildwood. Thanks for the input.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Installed the IRS center section.

Cleaned off the writing with acetone and then clear coated the center section.

Last edited by GTBradley; 09-06-2020 at 04:13 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    My son pulled up from the cockpit and I puled up from the trunk. We controlled and supported the center section with ratcheting load straps.

Last edited by GTBradley; 09-06-2020 at 04:16 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good!

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Axles installed without any drama, heard the click. Rear brakes.

In this picture you can see that the the center rod has no nut on it (left side). I don't believe it needs one as it has threads in the caliper but the Wilwood instructions say there is a nut there. Maybe a a left-over instruction from previous versions?
    Last edited by GTBradley; 09-06-2020 at 04:18 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    The engine arrived today

Last edited by GTBradley; 01-18-2019 at 12:00 AM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Looking good!
    Thanks, finally getting some time to get this pictures upload thing figured out.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Go chiefs!!!!!

24. Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In this picture you can see that the the center rod has no nut on it (left side). I don't believe it needs one as it has threads in the caliper but the Wilwood instructions say there is a nut there. Maybe a a left-over instruction from previous versions?
    Don't remember seeing that in the instructions. Must have missed it. But I've used those brakes twice and no nut in that location. Not sure how one would fit anyway unless the bolt were longer.

Congrats on receiving you Coyote. The fun really starts now.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't remember seeing that in the instructions. Must have missed it. But I've used those brakes twice and no nut in that location. Not sure how one would fit anyway unless the bolt were longer.

Congrats on receiving you Coyote. The fun really starts now.
    Thanks. Makes a guy nervous having all this expensive equipment sitting around. Can’t do the e-brake because cable is b/o. I guess I can do break lines this weekend.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    The engine arrived today

You need to return that motor... It appears to be upside down, the oil fill cap should be able to be read correctly. As it is now, you can see the oil will leak out of the oil can... Just sayin'

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

28. Likes WIS89, PeteMeindl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    You need to return that motor... It appears to be upside down, the oil fill cap should be able to be read correctly. As it is now, you can see the oil will leak out of the oil can... Just sayin'
    Yeah, but when I turn it right side up the competition is gonna get turned on its ear.
    Bradley

30. Likes PeteMeindl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So I haven’t looked into it yet, but why is the engine shipped with one header?
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    So I haven’t looked into it yet, but why is the engine shipped with one header?
    The other side has a built-in catalytic converter, so they don't include it. I'm assuming because of the value, but I've never heard officially. Doesn't matter, because hopefully you're installing straight tube headers so the stock headers aren't needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    Paul,

The engine's fine, that's the 710 cap …

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    The other side has a built-in catalytic converter, so they don't include it. I'm assuming because of the value, but I've never heard officially. Doesn't matter, because hopefully you're installing straight tube headers so the stock headers aren't needed.
    Thanks, just curious as yes I have the full length 4 to 1 to 4 headers on backorder.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the control arms, brakes, center section and axels installed. Snce the backordered parts: spring hats for the shocks; mounting hardware for the power steering and e-brake cable prevent me from finishing those things I’m thinking brake lines would be okay to start. Any suggestions would be welcome.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the control arms, brakes, center section and axels installed. Snce the backordered parts: spring hats for the shocks; mounting hardware for the power steering and e-brake cable prevent me from finishing those things I’m thinking brake lines would be okay to start. Any suggestions would be welcome.
    Bradley,

I used Paul's pictures and description of the brake line install in his 20th Anniversary build thread to model mine. His brake line install starts on post #214:

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post229659

Dave
    Last edited by Papa; 01-18-2019 at 11:37 PM.

37. Thanks GTBradley thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a link to how I did mine... fuel for the synapses.

**Note**
    None of the supplied brake lines were used "out of the box". They were all cut to fit, and new double-flares done when necessary.
    Last edited by Fixit; 01-19-2019 at 09:26 AM.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    Here's a link to how I did mine... fuel for the synapses.

**Note**
    None of the supplied brake lines were used "out of the box". They were all cut to fit, and new double-flares done when necessary.
    nice work on that, now I know what to do. You’re telling me I need a brake line flaring tool too, I think.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    nice work on that, now I know what to do. You’re telling me I need a brake line flaring tool too, I think.
    I used pre-flared lines from Advanced Auto. Worked out great. Just another option for you.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the compliment...
    You don't necessarily need a flaring kit - As CV stated you can get lucky piecing it together with pre-made lines - but you may not be able to tuck/tighten the lines up as well due to some extra length.
    I'm using my Dads 50+ year old kit. I have it, so why not. Doing proper double flares isn't difficult once you've practiced a few times on scrap material.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    I used pre-flared lines from Advanced Auto. Worked out great. Just another option for you.
    Thanks. I looked into that and ended up buying a bending tool. This is going to get interesting.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    Thanks for the compliment...
    You don't necessarily need a flaring kit - As CV stated you can get lucky piecing it together with pre-made lines - but you may not be able to tuck/tighten the lines up as well due to some extra length.
    I'm using my Dads 50+ year old kit. I have it, so why not. Doing proper double flares isn't difficult once you've practiced a few times on scrap material.
    I bought a bending tool and expected to use my dad’s 50 year-old flaring tool I’ve been hanging on to since 1987 - broken. Oh well, a new one was not expensive. I spent yesterday making good progress on learning the art of bending/double flaring. I never once forgot to put the fitting on, twice I forgot to slide the fitting past the bends first.

Im tempted to mount that brake line on the top of the cross bar, opposite yours. I know it wouldn’t be accessible, but how often does one replace a break line? And if I needed to, I have the option of cutting off the excess and leaving the unseen parts up there.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Bradley,

If you want, get everything bent up and bring your lines over and we can use my Eastwood flair tool to finish them up.

Dave

45. Likes WIS89 liked this post
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast