Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  44
Likes Likes:  161
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: GTBradley's build - Still Kick'n!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    Yup... it's all cylinder head.

Curious... what are your clearances PS & DS to the footbox tin?
    A full inch on the PS foot box. As little as a quarter inch on the drivers side. It’s a half inch on average, but at the bolt bump out it’s a quarter. Is that common?
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    A full inch on the PS foot box. As little as a quarter inch on the drivers side.
    That's just about exactly what I wound up with.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Can anyone help me with identifying which harness this Intercooler wire is in?

Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTBradley View Post
    Can anyone help me with identifying which harness this Intercooler wire is in?

Ford Coyote control pack harness.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does it really need to be cut back, because I can't find it.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Does it really need to be cut back, because I can't find it.
    No, it doesn't hurt anything to be there. But a little strange you can't find it. It's item P on the control pack harness, per the Ford instructions.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/do...-6017-504V.pdf
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, thank you. I totally forgot to download that from Ford. I have been using the FFR Coyote Installation instructions exclusively to try and locate it. Everything has been fine until this FFR picture came up. I had identified the right wire on my own, but apparently the FFR picture is old because it shows the wrong colors and that threw me. You've got me back on track once again.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul, while you're at it, would you give me your thoughts on this location for my overflow tank? I know you didn't use the FFR tank, but do you think this location will work regarding hood hinges, etc? I can't go more aft as the engine is so wide, so I think I'm stuck with this side of the brake line or a different tank altogether.

Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul, while you're at it, would you give me your thoughts on this location for my overflow tank? I know you didn't use the FFR tank, but do you think this location will work regarding hood hinges, etc? I can't go more aft as the engine is so wide, so I think I'm stuck with this side of the brake line or a different tank altogether.

The front to back location will clear the hinges OK. Just watch the height. The gas shock for the hood drops down exactly into that area. Keep it below the bottom of the 3/4-inch hood surround tube (including with the cap) and you'll clear the gas shock.

Post Thanks / Like
    So the Ford Controls Pack Instruction Sheet says the AC wires come off Takeout CCA, but their picture does not look like what I have. I'm assuming these (pictured below) wires are the same thing. Can anyone with Coyote confirm please?

These are coming from Takeout CCA, along with the fan wire and starter lead.

Last edited by GTBradley; 04-13-2019 at 06:23 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Per the Ford Performance Gen 2 Coyote Control Pack instructions, and my memory, the wires you're picturing here are from the 16-way I/P Pigtail cable. Not the main wiring harness. If those are really in the main harness, then something has changed. i know Ford Performance has made some changes with the later versions of the Control Pack. Later than the Gen 2 version I installed. If that's the case, maybe call the Ford Performance help line. Unless someone else on here has experience with a later version.

Post Thanks / Like
    You got me to thinkin...I needed the M50A 2017 tech sheet. Those wires I was asking about are intended for Electric Power-Assisted Steering (EPAS) and this one does not have the option for A/C.

Last edited by GTBradley; 09-26-2020 at 03:51 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    You got me to thinkin...I needed the M50A 2017 tech sheet. Those wires I was asking about are intended for Electric Power-Assisted Steering (EPAS) and this one does not have the option for A/C.
    There you go. Hadn't seen that update, but shows some of the changes I've heard about. Nothing that should affect anything with your build. Just different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    There you go. Hadn't seen that update, but shows some of the changes I've heard about. Nothing that should affect anything with your build. Just different.
    In fact, everything had been identical til the A/C wires were missing. Don’t know why they would omit those, but I hadn’t planned on air conditioning here in the mountains anyway.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 04-14-2019 at 09:56 AM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, it's been a couple of months again since I updated the thread with details, so I'll try to catch it all up again.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 06-03-2019 at 07:40 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Only minor scratches to the frame, but we apparently broke the LS O2 sensor plug. It still works and makes a good connection, so I have it zip tied to stay together. I'm not sure how to go about replacing it.

Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Transmission Spacers

I made my spacers - three of them out of 1/4" aluminum plate I ordered from Amazon.

Longer bolts were needed and 7/16" -14 by 1.5 inches long worked.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 09-06-2020 at 04:54 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    3/4" of lift provided by the spacers seems to align the transmission with the center sect just fine.

Last edited by GTBradley; 07-02-2019 at 07:23 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    I found this badge online some time ago and can't remember where. I really like it but I don't know who sells it. Does anybody know?

Last edited by GTBradley; 06-06-2019 at 11:14 AM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Engine Bay Fuel Line Routing

Routing the fuel line in the engine bay

The fuel line for this setup has no return line in the engine bay, and the regulator is back at the fuel tank so this is super easy and clean. As a result, the vacuum line that would go to the fuel regulator is capped at the engine.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 09-06-2020 at 04:57 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    I found this badge online some time ago and can't remember where. I really like it but I don't know who sells it. Does anybody know?

Wareaglescott has them. I believe he got them from https://www.billetbadges.com/
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Radiator Mounting - Breeze

Radiator installed using Breeze upper and lower mounts. The piano hinge makes setting the correct angle a...well...let's just say it, a breeze.

Breeze fan shroud and radiator stainless hoses:

Because the lower radiator hose was moving around a bit I tapped a bolt into the cross member and added a snug-fit vibration dampening loop clamp from McMaster, part number 3177T59. This also keeps it higher up away from the road.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 09-06-2020 at 04:59 PM.
    Bradley

23. Likes PeteMeindl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I mounted the supplied radiator reservoir here. I have to admit I don't know why I've seen this one and a larger one mounted in other build threads, but this is working so far. Maybe it's for additional capacity?

Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdav View Post
    Wareaglescott has them. I believe he got them from https://www.billetbadges.com/
    Ah, thank you! I remember now I saw them on his thread last fall. I think that's a snip from his photo. I took it to remind me...
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

KRC Power Steering

Power steering installed. I love the design of this pump and reservoir! it fits snugly into the engine and saves space over previous designs I've seen and it's easy to install.

Last edited by GTBradley; 04-17-2022 at 09:53 AM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    I mounted the supplied radiator reservoir here. I have to admit I don't know why I've seen this one and a larger one mounted in other build threads, but this is working so far. Maybe it's for additional capacity?

The power steering fluid reservoir (if you had that option prior to FFR switching to the current power steering set up) was similar looking but smaller. THat could be what you have seen.

FYI - I, along with many others went with a moroso coolant tank that allows for factory routing of coolant hoses vs the capped lines that FFR instructs.

Post Thanks / Like

OBD II Plug and Indicator

I mounted my OBD-II plug vertically to hide it. This photo is looking up from the foot box through the pedal box. The second shows that the plug is still quite accessible and the light can be seen from the driver’s seat with a little bending down.

Last edited by GTBradley; 09-06-2020 at 05:03 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    The power steering fluid reservoir (if you had that option prior to FFR switching to the current power steering set up) was similar looking but smaller. THat could be what you have seen.

FYI - I, along with many others went with a moroso coolant tank that allows for factory routing of coolant hoses vs the capped lines that FFR instructs.
    What do you mean by capped? Mine goes from the radiator pressure cap to the fill pipe in the bottom of the reservoir and then an overflow drain line comes out the bottom.

Last edited by GTBradley; 07-02-2019 at 07:37 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you mean by capped? Mine goes from the radiator pressure cap to the fill pipe in the bottom of the reservoir and then an overflow drain line comes out the bottom as well

In stock form there are additional overflow inlets that the FFR tank doesn't accommodate so the instructions have you cap or loop those outlets on the engine. I don't recall anyone having an issue with that route, but many people choose to follow the ford planned routing using an aftermarket tank and hoses. EdwardB details it our pretty nicely:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...oso#post220495

Post Thanks / Like
    In stock form there are additional overflow inlets that the FFR tank doesn't accommodate so the instructions have you cap or loop those outlets on the engine. I don't recall anyone having an issue with that route, but many people choose to follow the ford planned routing using an aftermarket tank and hoses. EdwardB details it our pretty nicely:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...oso#post220495
    Thanks, I'll check that out. I have to admit I haven't been keeping up with the forums - too busy working on the car
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Instruments

Started the daunting task of wiring of the instrument cluster
    Last edited by GTBradley; 09-06-2020 at 05:05 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    ...and five minutes later:

Bradley

34. Likes PeteMeindl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Did I say minutes? It may have been days, but no real problems here. I blew a few fuses - bought the multi pack!

I learned what a real sports car was watching my dad manipulate the toggles and knobs on a Jaguar XKE in the early 60's. I love switches and knobs! It's probably what drove me to flying. Anyway, my dash is filthy with gauges, switches and knobs and I love it!
    Last edited by GTBradley; 04-17-2022 at 10:00 AM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    3E1847F7-57B2-4B0C-BD97-B9584FE00B6C.jpeg

So I’m interested in this steel blue color. I wonder if anyone recognizes it? I found it on a website selling the car https://www.pjsautoworld.com/vehicle...ory-five-cobra
    They just described it as steel blue metallic.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 06-10-2019 at 11:12 AM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Can anyone tell me what these are? They came in the Coyote install kit I bought a while back, thanks.

5A317CC2-AF74-4189-B2BF-CDD7317A8C2B.jpeg
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Bottom is the Coyote pedal mount. This is relatively new and gets the pedal even with the others.
    MKIV #9542 Complete Kit, Coyote, IRS - Delivered - 2/19/19, First start - 9/8/19, Go Cart - 9/14/19
    1965 Mustang Convertible 4v 289
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzzz View Post
    Bottom is the Coyote pedal mount. This is relatively new and gets the pedal even with the others.
    Thank you. I have been stumped by that one for some time. Either I missed something, or they don’t tell you that in the Coyote install manual. I guess I should have checked sooner - I ended up fabricating my own.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 06-11-2019 at 10:23 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    X2 on the Coyote pedal mount. The other part is intended to mount the Power Distribution Box (PDB). Depends on where you mount it whether you need the bracket or not. The PDB has mounting ears and I've mounted them directly to the firewall without anything additional.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can anyone tell me what these are? They came in the Coyote install kit I bought a while back, thanks.

5A317CC2-AF74-4189-B2BF-CDD7317A8C2B.jpeg
    Hi GT - loved your 5 minutes til the dash was done! I think that top piece you're asking about is to mount a box that's part of the coyote wiring harness on top of the passenger footbox. It's shown on page 67 of the coyote fitment manual (version 9/5/18). You're making great progress!!
    Last edited by PeteMeindl; 06-11-2019 at 08:23 AM.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast