FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  44
Likes Likes:  161
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: GTBradley's build - Still Kick'n!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's right you have one of those fancy Eastwood tools. I thought about buying one of those and then spent gobs of money on other unexpected things and let that thought fade. I'm going to give this a shot first, thanks. I hadn't even considered flaring after the bends though, thanks for that too.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Bradley,

If you want, get everything bent up and bring your lines over and we can use my Eastwood flair tool to finish them up.

Dave
    Thanks Dave, but I think I've got it, it might even be fun and maybe even faster soon. Glad I took Monday off...

Does that look Right?
    Last edited by GTBradley; 09-06-2020 at 04:25 PM.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

Post Thanks / Like

Routing of rear brake lines

Last edited by GTBradley; 09-06-2020 at 04:26 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTBradley View Post
    Thanks Dave, but I think I've got it, it might even be fun and maybe even faster soon. Glad I took Monday off...

Does that look Right?
    The double flair has the right shape, but I'd be a bit nervous about the condition of the tube leading up to the flair and the roughness of the flair itself. It doesn't take much to create a leak and brake fluid is one of the most effective paint removers I've ever seen. Here is my very first flair with the Eastwood flair tool:

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, that tool has ridges that grip the pipe and leave those marks. I can see that Eastwood is pretty good. I'll see if I can clean up on the outside of the flair.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    So who’s done the FFMetal firewall forward kit? I’m wondering how the the under dash panel works with it.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, that tool has ridges that grip the pipe and leave those marks.
    That's about the only downside... just dress them off with a few light swipes of a small file. They're hidden inside the fittings anyway.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    My KC Chiefs lost , though they put up a very good fight. However, it looks as though my POL delivery is here and I took the holiday off.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    That's about the only downside... just dress them off with a few light swipes of a small file. They're hidden inside the fittings anyway.
    It does appear to me that the important part for a good seal is the inside face where it meets the opposite fitting.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I'm mounting body of the Koni shocks down also, but just as soon as you think you've seen everything on the subject out pops instructions from just one of the shocks:
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Pulling studs into hub

I had trouble with pulling the new studs into the hub, so when I figured it out I made a quick and dirty video to show that my solution woks well.

Add two hardened washers and a drop of oil between. Use breaker bar to turn lug nut until stud is flush against hub.

https://youtu.be/ERK-_ehKumk
    Last edited by GTBradley; 01-22-2019 at 06:44 PM.
    Bradley

12. Likes ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I received the spring hats and a bunch of other POL items Monday, so I was able to get the shocks and springs installed.

The instructions don't call out the same spacers I had but it was easy enough to figure them out.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Panel treatment - natural

After giving it a lot of thought and getting quotes that ranged from $550 to $3000 to powder coat all the panels I've decided to go the JKleiner route. My panels will be natural with the visible ones cleaned, scored and treated with clear enamel.

Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    The front coilovers are to be installed with the body up rather than down as you have them.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    The front coilovers are to be installed with the body up rather than down as you have them.

Jeff
    I would tend to agree, but there are so many discussions on the forums saying otherwise. Most notably that the double-adjustable Koni shocks require body down but not the single like mine. All official sources I’ve seen agree with you.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 01-23-2019 at 08:10 PM. Reason: delete word "up", add word "down"
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    ...the double-adjustable Koni shocks require body up...
    Actually, just the opposite. The double-adjustable Koni shocks must be mounted body end down. Per Koni, the valving mechanism only works properly with the body down and no more than 45 degrees from vertical. The standard red Konis work with the body end either up or down.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    ... I've decided to go the JKleiner route. My panels will be natural with the visible ones cleaned, scored and treated with clear enamel.

What enamel did you use? I really like that look!
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah sorry, got that backwards/upside-down. Where does this come from though?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah sorry, got that backwards/upside-down. Where does this come from though?
    For the double adjustable shocks, both Factory Five and Koni instructions cite mounting them body down. The Koni instructions say why, as I mentioned in my post. They don't work body up. Don't remember if the Factory Five instructions state the reason.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, now I know what has me confused, the assembly manual has the shocks mounted body down and the #14675 - KONI Front Coil Over Shocks (Download) PDF has the shocks mounted up. Then there is the instruction sheet I received in just one of the shock boxes showing this:

Anyway, sorry for bringing it up again. I was just curious to know if anyone had gotten official word from Koni on the single adjust shocks (part number 30-1720) saying they could be mounted both ways.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 01-23-2019 at 08:35 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Bradley,

This same subject came up early in my build, too. There is a post from Jim at FFR that may settle it in your mind.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post278032

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Bradley,

This same subject came up early in my build, too. There is a post from Jim at FFR that may settle it in your mind.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post278032

Dave
    Thanks, that does help. The fact that they had a Koni engineer involved helps immensely.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Those damn steering arms! Just when you think you know what you’re doing...
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by q4stix View Post
    What enamel did you use? I really like that look!
    Thanks, I can only take credit for the elbow grease, it’s Jkleiner’s technique. I used Duplicolor Engine Enamel Gloss Clear with Ceramic. It seems like pretty good stuff and protects reasonably well against finger prints and minor wear - does nothing to protect against stupidity when skidding across it with the revit gun.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    I gotta say, one of the most convenient items I have for working on the car is my adjustable rolling desk. It has the perfect height for standing and the perfect height for sitting, even at the lowest stool level. And it keeps the the manual right where I need it.

Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Power steering rack and steering shaft

I installed the power steering rack and steering shaft. Not a big deal after fixing the steering arms mistake I previously thought I had avoided.

I don't understand why the steering shaft is so close to the chassis:

It's not touching anymore but by slim margin and only after loosening and raising the lower bearing what little distance it would travel upward.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 09-06-2020 at 04:32 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Steering shaft clearance seems to be a common problem with the "newer" frames. Mine was the same way.
    Solution:
    1) Either a flat piece of 1/8" plate (shim) or some washers under the pillow block
    2) Purchase Russ Thompson's turn signal setup

Either one will fix the clearance issue.

2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    Steering shaft clearance seems to be a common problem with the "newer" frames. Mine was the same way.
    Solution:
    1) Either a flat piece of 1/8" plate (shim) or some washers under the pillow block
    2) Purchase Russ Thompson's turn signal setup

Either one will fix the clearance issue.
    Thanks, at least I know it’s not a problem with just mine. If they just raised the point at which the steering shaft came through the foot box front wall a ¼” it would help.
    I was thinking of the shim, I was concerned about the geometry of the steering wheel if I did that though. I’m guessing the RT turn signals essentially act as a shim too. It does clear currently, but if that lower bearing drifts down over time...
    I suppose I could grind a low spot in the 4” cross member as a third option?
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Raising the lower bearing point isn't really an option for them, it's really tight already with a Coyote powerplant
    (**Future Build Tip Ahead** You'll have to disconnect the shaft at the steering box and swing it outboard just to get the engine in there, so don't LockTite anything down there yet!)...
    Be it a shim, washers, or RT's signal setup, that little bit of angle change won't affect anything. The steering wheel (by design) isn't actually parallel to the dash now.
    I'd avoid grinding a radius in the crosstube. It's not worth the effort when a $.05 washer will fix the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Put a couple of flat washers under the pillow block---DONE!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I had planned on moving it for engine install. I moved ahead on steps as I still have POL items holding up earlier steps. Good to know about it not affecting the steering wheel position much. Thank you.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Put a couple of flat washers under the pillow block---DONE!

Jeff
    Done!
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Tires

I'm going to pull the trigger on the tires. Putting this car on it's wheels can't be more than a couple weeks away. From what I've read on the forums Nitto is a favorite and I think I like the NT555 G2 for its balance of performance and tread life.

size:
    255/40 17 $128 each. Weight: (tire and wheel) = 48 lbs
    315/35 17 $203 each. Weight: (tire and wheel) = 55 lbs

Last edited by GTBradley; 11-06-2020 at 08:59 PM.
    Bradley

35. Likes copythat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Steering Rack Setup

Now would be a very good time for you to review this post concerning front steering rack setup... If you find your correct center now, and mark it for later use, you will save yourself a lot of trouble in the future. This photo shows how I marked the steering rod and rack so that I can always take my rack back to dead center. NOTE: this is not the same as turning your wheel lock to lock and back to midway...

IMG_3734.JPG IMG_3733v1.jpg

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    Now would be a very good time for you to review this post concerning front steering rack setup...
    ...and perfect timing, I was just starting my investigation of this.

One question, I have not done initial alignment of the rear wheels yet as I am still waiting on the e-brake cable and the manual says not to tighten bolts down until the e-brake step is done. Will this affect the steering rack setup? ...I see there is a step in there where a string is run from the rear wheels to the front.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    ...and perfect timing, I was just starting my investigation of this.

One question, I have not done initial alignment of the rear wheels yet as I am still waiting on the e-brake cable and the manual says not to tighten bolts down until the e-brake step is done. Will this affect the steering rack setup? ...I see there is a step in there where a string is run from the rear wheels to the front.
    The main part of this is to find your center on the rack. The actual alignment will come later and with your IRS, you only have toe and camber adjustments to worry about, you can get those pretty close by eye for now. You will have plenty of time to get the alignment later. It is just very easy to do the centering with everything out of the way at this time. Actual front end alignment will also be done later in your build.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

39. Thanks GTBradley thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went ahead and set the toe and camber on the rears too:

One thing I'm a little concerned about is the distance from shock to rear tire near the tops - it is different from one side to the other. Actually, with the shock body up the spring hat was touching the tire so I flipped both shocks. I haven't read into rear wheel alignment yet as I still need to install the e-brake and torque the rear wheel nuts.

Initial alignment done, steering wheel straight

Last edited by GTBradley; 04-17-2022 at 10:09 AM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Clutch throw out arm issues

Okay, some good progress since last post and I'll get that all posted soon, but right now I've got some real consternation going on here. I don't get this throw out arm. I have the Coyote/TKO600 kit from Forte's. The clutch is a RAM. The first problem is there is minimal direction from RAM on how to install the clutch. But I should be able to figure this out, right? Anyway, if someone has put together the same setup as I have here please chime in.

In one box was was the shorter, black pivot and the silver, longer pivot in with the clutch parts. I don't know which to use...
    ***edit - Mike Forte says use the shorter black one.***

Then I have this, while the arm sits on the pivot the throw out bearing is not aligned with the center:

I have the throw out bearing installed on the arm like this:

So what's going on here, is it me or do I have parts issues? And where are the detailed instructions? Did I misplace them or what?
    Last edited by GTBradley; 02-23-2019 at 01:05 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    You're so close...
    IMG_7500b.jpg IMG_7498b.jpg

The bearing just needs to be pushed further onto the throwout arm. When in the correct position it'll kinda just flop/rock on those pivot humps in the arm, but not fall out of place.

Unfortunately I don't remember which pivot stud I used. Here's a pic of mine installed
    Clutch_04.png (I'm thinking it was the black stud.)

When all is good and you'll not be taking anything apart again, slather a light smear of chassis grease on the snout of the gearbox (where the TOB slides on), and on the pivot stud & fork detent.

43. Thanks GTBradley thanked for this post
    Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same questions. Call Mike Forte. He will walk you through it. Best thing about buying from Forte is that he will happily guide you through any problems you have.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast