Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Roadster hood hinge

Post Thanks / Like

Roadster hood hinge

When putting together the hood hinge should the stainless washer fit over the shoulder of the shoulder bolt or but up against it? Mine buts up against it so you can’t tighten the bolt any further. Is that the way it’s suppose to be or do i need larger washers to go over the shoulder?

Thanks
    Craig
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I found that the hinges were far too "sloppy" when I did them like that. I got other washers and tightened them against the spring washer using a nyloc nut so I could adjust the tension. Joel

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by japollon View Post
    I found that the hinges were far too "sloppy" when I did them like that. I got other washers and tightened them against the spring washer using a nyloc nut so I could adjust the tension. Joel
    This! ^^^
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I did the same. Really made it snug and smooth. Also put a dab of white grease on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by japollon View Post

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    5/16 cut washers have a 3/8 hole . Easiest is to put two washers on the bolt first, through the brackets and bushing with one more washer on the backside then nut. Tried to use the wave washers once.....that was enough. ..da bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jeff, The washers I got with the kit don't fit over the shoulder of the bolt. You are putting two washers on the bolt and then putting it through the hole, correct? Japollon suggest I put them o the other end. I assume it doesn't matter as long as you tighten up the slack.

8. Likes hugo-k liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I was giving you the easiest way. You may have to buy a few washers. You have some in your kit but they are for general use. The 5/16 cut washer slips over the shank. The reason I say to use two is so once installed the other end of the shoulder bolt isn't peeking through the hole causing you to try to center a washer so you can take up the slack. I tighten mine tight the back them off until I can turn the bolt with just a little friction. It takes the slop out of the hinges. You have 8 hinge joints.....little bit oy play in each + a whole lot of wigglin around...da Bat If it is still a little unclear my # 951-676-0191

10. Thanks WIS89 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Appreciate the offer but I got it from here.

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been using these thick fender washers from my local "if they don't have it nobody does" hardware store.

Nice because you use just one per bolt so you don't have to deal with stacking washers and trying to keep them properly aligned. Like Miller I chuck the wave washers.

Cheers,
    Jeff

hoodhingewashers.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cfriedman67 View Post
    Appreciate the offer but I got it from here.
    Ah... Man... How many times have I said that one.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread