Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Batteries

Post Thanks / Like

Batteries

I am using a FFmetals battery box below the trunk. I know that a series 34 battery is the one that fits, and has the cranking power needed. My question is, could a series 34/78, with the posts on the top, and the screw in GM style connectors on the side, be used if I was looking to install remote battery posts in the trunk? I figured I could use the top posts for the main connections, and use the side terminals to connect the remote posts, avoiding having so many wires on the top posts.
    Am I thinking about this wrong? The Optima Red Top is the same price for either the 34 or the 34/78.
    Thanks.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    There is limited clearance between the box and side terminals. I recommend some form of insulation between these areas.
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe most folks set up the remote post as follows

Negative (Black) terminals on the battery will be grounded on the frame near the sunken battery box.
    Negative remote post in the trunk will be grounded to the frame in the truck area.

Positive (Red) terminal on the battery goes to Positive remote post in the trunk.
    Double up on the positive remote post and then run forward to power everything up front.
    As an option, as mentioned, you could double up on the Positive Battery terminal. FFMetal box opening would have to be modified to get 2 positive lines out of the box.
    Important that nothing on the Positive side touches any of the FFMetal box, otherwise it will create a short.

Scott
    Last edited by Scott Zackowski; 12-16-2018 at 06:22 PM.

4. Thanks TBull thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jimoco, that was my plan. Just wasn't sure how much room there would be.

Scott, thanks for that description of the cable layout. I'm not exactly sure why my brain wasn't seeing this before, but now it makes total sense. Sometimes I think too much, but then other times I don't think enough!

Thanks guys.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the layout idea. I also am putting in the FFMetal battery box with remote battery posts. I just haven't got around yet to wiring this area, but that layout totally makes sense. thank you!
    FFR #4402 MKII Supercharged 308 445 RWHP Sterling Grey W/ Black Sapphire Stripes, Purchase 8/22/2008 Sold 12/04/2018
    FFR #8249 MK IV "Milano" Kit purchased 10/5/2018 - In-Process with 3.27 IRS, Multiport, Fuel Injected Supercharged 347 Big bore with Coil On Plug running Holley HP engine management, 576 RWHP, 510 Torque
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?29980 Milano thread

Post Thanks / Like
    For what it's worth, FFMetal doesn't recommend using any battery that has side posts. I think the concern is that in the event of a collision, those posts could make contact with the side of the box and create sparks. The battery is sitting directly in front of the fuel tank, so there is increased risk of a fire.

From their site:

The Battery Box is made from .060 5052 aluminum and is designed to use the Optima RedTop type 34 (not the type 34/78).
    Under no circumstances use a battery with side terminals in any metal battery box, even if you are not using the side terminals.
    Last edited by Papa; 12-17-2018 at 10:23 AM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, it's been so long since I bought, and installed the battery box, I completely forgot their recommendation. With Scott's description of cable routing, I think I'm good to go with the standard type 34.
    Thanks everyone for all the help.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EZ$ View Post
    Dave, it's been so long since I bought, and installed the battery box, I completely forgot their recommendation. With Scott's description of cable routing, I think I'm good to go with the standard type 34.
    Thanks everyone for all the help.

Rick
    FWIW, this is what I'm using for a battery... fits PERFECT and it's AGM and nearly the same numbers at the Optima. Here is my POST about it.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Carl. I'll look into this battery when it comes time to purchase. I'll have to see if they're available out here. The red top was just based on past reading, but I can always appreciate saving a few bucks! Thanks.

Rick