Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Steering Column Install

Post Thanks / Like

Steering Column Install

Trying to install my Ididit Steering Column. Maybe the problem is the "Installer". From what I have seen (If I am doing things correctly) is a poor design. Looks
    like a communication problem with FFR and Wilwood and Ididit??? Mine does not look like the install in the FFR Manual. Do you have to fabricate Spacers to allow
    proper clearance for the Brake Pedal?? Seems like everything must be shifted to the left. This is my Car and Options>

s/n 1106
    Wilwood 12.88 Front
    Wilwood 12.19 Rear
    Wilwood Hydraulic Clutch Kit
    Chrome Tilt Ididit Column

20181216_152939.jpg20181216_153502.jpg20181216_153033.jpg
    FFR Hot Rod #1106

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Larry
    I haven't got that far yet but from what I've read on the forum in the past couple of months, this comes up a fair bit.
    Here's one thread...
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...teering-Column

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I remembered reading that a while back. I was not sure the Options and S/N of their build. There seems to be some differences in Frames/Pedal Boxes etc. I have seen
    some Boxes mounted from Below and some from Above the Support. In my Kit, I just received Bolts and Nuts. No Spacers. I guess I will fabricate some. I sent an email to FFR today. Hopefully I get an answer tomorrow. Thanks.
    FFR Hot Rod #1106

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking at some of the photos on that thread, it looks like all these clearance issues could be a safety issue. Would hate to have the Brake Pedal contact some Hardware.
    FFR Hot Rod #1106

Post Thanks / Like
    Larry, as we have discussed, I had the same issue with my build. I believe that you have installed your column the same way I did (except you used the correct length bolts on the corresponding sides). I looked back as I couldn't remember whether FFR sent spacers or I had to fab, and yes I did have to fab the ones you see. I agree that the pedal travel is tight within the steering mounts, but that is why I spaced mine to allow for the pedal to travel theoretically down the middle allowing for the most clearance on either side. The brake pedal has a little lateral movement but more so at the pedal than up by the mounts.

IMG_3981.jpg

IMG_3982.jpg

IMG_3986.jpg

2018-12-17_0621.png
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jamie, That will be today's project. I hope my Firewall will be ready to pick up from Painter. Hope to install Engine/Transmission this weekend.
    FFR Hot Rod #1106

Post Thanks / Like
    Larry I had the same problem with my steering column. The way I did mine is I ordered button head screw then shaved the head down till it didn’t get touched by the brake pedal. Hope this helps you

Post Thanks / Like
    Something like this could possibly work too. You may have to shave the head diameter down a bit...

2018-12-19_0512.png
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JOP33 View Post
    Something like this could possibly work too. You may have to shave the head diameter down a bit...

2018-12-19_0512.png
    Thanks Everyone. Back to Hardware Store and Garage.
    FFR Hot Rod #1106