Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  22
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Living the Dream - Applied for Title and Registration

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You are making great progress and it's evident you are enjoying the build.

Jay
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzzz View Post
    Its been a busy last two weeks including ordering several items (aka spending money) from supporting vendors, drilling holes, painting and starting assembly.

I completed the front suspension including trimming down the UCA adjusting sleeves mentioned by Fixit and others. There is no way you would even be close to the initial alignment measurements given in the manual without doing this. Highly recommend completing this during assembly. I also attempted to use the provided upper ball joints (even with some removal of powder coating on the threads) to no avail. Ordered the Moog K772 ball joints recommended by Edwardb and the went in no problem. Funny part is on top of the ball join is stamped "Problem Solver".

Please let me know if you see anything out of place.

Also installed the power steering rack using the solid offsets sold by Mike Everson. Ordered the Moog ES2150R tied rod ends while I was at it following Edwardb's lead again.

In the midst of assembly went ahead and ordered the following. As mentioned before doing my part to help the economy.:

ReplicaParts.com (Mike Everson)
    - 2" roll bar studs (thanks for milling these for me Mike!)
    - Russ Thompson turn signal grommet
    - Front license plate bracket (inexpensive piece to help with Illinois inspection)
    - Set of Weather Pack connectors
    - Seat belt trim plates

Breeze Automotive
    - Front battery mount
    - Seat bases
    - Radiator fan shroud
    - Hinged radiator mounting kit
    - Lower radiator support kit
    - Power steering rack offsets

Tangent Technologies:
    - Hidden roll bar fasteners for 2" roll bar

Russ Thompson
    - Turn signal system
    - Drop trunk kit

Last but not least...

Mike Forte Performance Parts:
    - Coyote Engine
    - TKO600 Transmission
    - Hydraulic Clutch
    - Installation package (all the stuff not provided in the FFR Coyote install package)
    - Cobra seat heaters
    - Triple CNC Reservoirs (FYI...if you want a set of these better order soon Mike mentioned it is a family business and they are likely closing this Spring)
    You might want to go ahead and cut those rear upper control arm while you have the suspension hanging. With the power steering you'll need to cut them to get the 8 degrees of caster recommended. As others have indicated I took mine back to the flat spot on tube...about 3/8" off each end.

Steve
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

3. Thanks Cruzzz thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    More progress the last two weeks with brake lines, radiator, gas tank and fuel lines.

I wasn’t happy with the look of the stock brake lines, took what I had done out and picked up some premade sections of Nicopp. I was able to do all the brake lines with 3 - 51”, 1 - 72”, and 1 - 40” sections. Thought it turned out great.

Last edited by Cruzzz; 04-21-2019 at 10:38 PM.
    MKIV #9542 Complete Kit, Coyote, IRS - Delivered - 2/19/19, First start - 9/8/19, Go Cart - 9/14/19
    1965 Mustang Convertible 4v 289
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Brake lines continued...

MKIV #9542 Complete Kit, Coyote, IRS - Delivered - 2/19/19, First start - 9/8/19, Go Cart - 9/14/19
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Next worked on the fuel tank. My fuel system is a combination of items from FFR and Mike Forte. As much as I like the look of the Nicopp lines the ease of the quick connect fuel lines from Forte won out. Not to mention I don’t think anyone but me will probably ever see the under side of my car.

Last edited by Cruzzz; 04-21-2019 at 10:40 PM.
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like

Radiator Install

A few posts back I showed prepping the frame to use the Breeze upper radiator mount. I’m also using the Breeze fan shroud and lower radiator mount. Great combination that appears will provide just enough give versus the more rigid mount directly to the frame per the standard install.

Can you spot my supervisor in the pictures below?

Build Thread HERE

8. Likes Boydster, PeteMeindl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You must be doing a good job, supervisor looks relaxed.
    On my Coyote harness the fan feed ran down the upper right side of the frame, if you want to confirm and clock your fan. I have a 66 2+2, not nearly the level of yours, but a nice car. I got the roll bar drilled and fitted, thanks.

20131012_113502.jpg
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Railroad - Glad the roll bar worked out! I'm still going with dual roll bars but opted for the larger diameter used on the MKIII. Thanks for the heads up on the fan feed to wire harness. It will be coming back of when I install the engine so I'll flip it around then.
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Been a little while since my last update but moving along. Over the last couple weeks I finished up all the brake system including getting the rear calipers the were on back order mounted. With the rear calipers together I could get the e-brake installed leveraging the two pulley method of running the cables many others have done. I also used the Lokar clevis instead of the supplied parts. Hardest part was drilling the hole for the bolt the pulleys went on. Tight space to get a drill and bit into.

I had grand plans of starting on electrical this weekend but ran into a couple problems when I started setting up my Russ Thompson steering system. I had previously installed the Coyote gas pedal and the new FFR bracket that sets it up even with the other pedals. The most recent instructions tell you to do some trimming including trimming everything flush on the right side. The problems comes when you try to slide the steering shaft into place. It doesn’t clear the upper pedal mounting ear. After taking the assembly back out and trimming the pedal down to the exact shape of the new FFR mount everything had sufficient clearance.

After all of this was remedied I slide the up shaft back in and noticed the piece that should slide in was a very tight fit and the pillow block wouldn’t slide past the first 5-6” that has a slight taper. Not sure what to do with this. Should I call FFR to get a new shaft or larger pillow block?
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like

Clutch Safety Switch and Gas Tank Vent

While focusing around the drivers side foot box and preparing to start wiring I wanted to get the clutch safety switch done. I used the same method Fixit designed. This was pretty straight forward and made good use of the supplied laser cut brackets.

The gas tank was installed a while ago but I have been considering how I wanted to do the vent and decided to use the supplied brake reservoir that was otherwise going unused. Looks nice although no one will ever see it. Stuffed an aquarium carbon filter (30 gallons size I think) inside to help with any potential gas odors.

Last edited by Cruzzz; 05-13-2019 at 10:44 AM.
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good... (I'm glad my instructions were written well enough for someone else to translate into action).

The conflict with the steering shaft needs clarification... the "male" end won't slide into the female, or the female won't go into the pillow block?
    (In either case, make sure there are no boogers/nicks/dents on the shafts. it's a precise fit and the slightest flaw will hang up. Dress off any nicks with a few swipes of a fine file).
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Update on the upper steering shaft and pillow block binding. Here is a picture of all the farther I could originally get it to slide on (it is removed from the bracket).

After ~15 min of sanding it slide on freely and it looks like we are a go to get the Russ Thompson steering system installed tomorrow!

Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like

2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like

Differential Vent, Rear Wiring, Brakes Bled

With all my brakes and lines installed I leveraged Mrs. Cruzzz's help bleeding the brakes. Took about 30 minutes and all the air was bled out. Bonus...no leaks! I'm using the standard brake setup from FFR with Hawk brake pads. Should stop pretty well. With our '65 Mustang also having manual brakes we are comfortable with the feel and knowing you may need to press a little harder.

My goal for the weekend was to wrap up the back half of the car including running the rear wiring harness, an extra HAAT wire for a trunk light, and a +12 volt switch wire through the transmission for a back up light. Adding these to the rear harness was pretty easy and then fastened the harness in place using 5/8" rubber lined clamps from the HD.

I also installed the differential vent. This is the same stock Ford vent Edwardb used.

Last edited by Cruzzz; 05-26-2019 at 10:57 PM.
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like

Finalizing Rear Wire Harness, Jeff Kleiner Quick Jack Mod, and Rear Tins

After getting the rear harness run through the transmission tunnel I had to guide everything to the passenger side to make room for the drop trunk. There is plenty of length to do this without putting pressure on anything. You will actually end up with a couple feet of the main rear harness and the fuel pump branch to tie up.

You can see above how I tied the loose loom up and ran the DS and PS tail light branches. The following shows where I brought the license plate light and trunk light wires into the trunk just behind the PS roll bar stub.

With everything rear of the cockpit complete I felt safe permanently installing all the trunk tins.

I also added the Kleiner mod for the quick jack mounts.
    Last edited by Cruzzz; 05-26-2019 at 10:59 PM.
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like

Russ Thompson Turn Signal

Brief post on the Russ Thompson Turn Signal. In an earlier post I shared the trouble I was having getting the pillow block to slide onto the upper shaft. With that resolved it was straight forward using the included instructions and a quick read of Fixit's build thread. Looks and feels like a great addition. Time to get moving on the rest of the wiring.....

(the steering boss if just slightly installed for now until I get the wiring and dash done.)
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like

Dash Alignment Questions

Working on all things wiring lately including prepping the blank dash. After cutting the gauge holes and adjusting the steering column opening to work with the Russ Thompson Turn Signal system I mocked the dash up on the frame. I read in a few places to leave 1/8” in the center between the top of the dash and the top of the frame hoop. I started by centering the steering column on the steering column hole, leveled the dash from the bottom edge and clamped everything down with 1/8” at the top as suggested.

This left the top edge of the dash approximately 3/16” above the frame hoop on the PS and DS.

Does this look right?
    Last edited by Cruzzz; 06-11-2019 at 10:54 PM.
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like

Sending Unit Wiring Harness Quesion

Quick question...I plan to run this through the firewall with the Coyote harness but noticed there are three ground wires. Do the need to be hook to the sensors on the engine or should the be grounded to the frame? If they are to be grounded to the frame can I just take them out of the loom and ground them behind the dash?

Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick question...I plan to run this through the firewall with the Coyote harness but noticed there are three ground wires. Do the need to be hook to the sensors on the engine or should the be grounded to the frame? If they are to be grounded to the frame can I just take them out of the loom and ground them behind the dash?
    Those ground wires are intended to be used for your gauge sending unit grounds. They don't need to be grounded to the chassis. Your harness is already grounded via the large ground lug to the chassis by the fuse panel.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like

LCS and Power Wiring

Looking forward to a road trip to Ohio this weekend for the London Cobra Show. Excited to see everyone’s finished cars and shamelessly steal more ideas for my build. Also hoping to meet up with Mr. Kleiner for our first in person intro as I’ve only had the privilege over the phone or through the forum. I actually called him out of the blue to get on the ‘waitlist’ before my kit had even arrived. What can I say...his work is impressive and I’m sure will be worth the wait.

I also had the opportunity to meet forum member dpariso this weekend at a local car show and checked out his MKIII. Great to meet another FFR fan and roadster owner nearby. He has added several nice touches recently including polished aluminum strips along the sides of the trans tunnel and lighting behind the side vents.

It is wiring central in my garage these days and I recently focused on getting all the power wiring buttoned up in the engine bay. Most of the layout is based on Edwardb’s design. I also used a master disconnect switch but wanted a certain orientation on the cockpit side so that necessitated a slightly different wire routing between the disconnect and main fuse.

Note: Positive terminal is capped and wrapped in electrical tape under the connector for now.

The red and blue wires coming out of the convolute on the 4” round tube are the power and start sense wires for the starter.
    Build Thread HERE

23. Likes Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

LCS Recap and Motivation

Back from a great weekend visiting family and attending the LCS as a spectator. I lived in the Columbus, OH area for almost 15 years before moving north of Chicago three years ago. Even though I was interested in these cars well before the move I had no idea the largest gathering of cobras was just 45 min. away.

The LCS is a fantastic event! My wife and I drove to Columbus on Friday and stayed with relatives. Late Friday night it was calling for rain the next morning and we decided we would head over after the storms cleared out. I happened to wake up early Saturday and was pleasantly surprised to see the storms stayed to the west and were moving south of London. (I'm sure those that brought their cars breathed a sigh of relief as well.) With the break in the weather we hopped in the car and headed west just in time. We literally just made it passed the line up of cobras before they started their parade into London.

The parade into town is a must see..

This is just a fraction of the cobras on hand.

While there I had the privilege of meeting Dave Smith. You can feel the passion he has for not only FFR but the cobra community when talking with him.

I also had the opportunity to meet Paul (edwardb) and Jeff Kleiner in person. Two great ambassadors of FF and the community. Paul, his wife, and car made a cameo in the picture with Dave Smith above.
    Last edited by Cruzzz; 06-23-2019 at 10:28 PM.
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like

LCS Recap and Motivation pt.2

As a spectator and in-progress builder this was a great opportunity to see the various customizations, options, and upgrades out there. I also took the opportunity to check out potential paint options in person. Not sure if seeing all these beautiful cars helped narrow my paint scope or not.

Part of the event involves charity rides where some of the cobra owners are gracious to share a ride in their car for a small donation to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. My brother-in-law, nephew and myself were happy to donate to the cause. Unfortunately I can't remember the gentlemen's name I rode with but a super nice guy (and car).

The ride and people I met just reinforced why I'm building this car. Goal is to have mine finished in time to drive in the parade into London next year! Time to get back to building...
    Build Thread HERE

26. Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Roadster Has Landed!

I’m working towards dropping the engine in this coming week and need to get the frame on the ground so it was time for tires. It was a tough decision between Nitto 555 G2 and Nitto NT05. In the end I went with the NT05 due to the tread rating and reviews but I found an equal amount of favorable opinions for both on the forum. I would like to participate in a few Autocross’s to learn how to better handle the car and the NT05’s appeared more favorable for the track.

Nitto NT05
    Front: 255/40/17
    Rear: 315/35/17

Although the frame dolly made moving the car around without wheels a lot easier it was a process to get it off. I had to jack up the rear and set it on jack stands then jack up the front and slide the dolly out. After another round of lifting the car and lowering the jack stands all the way I was able to set it on the ground one end at a time. I did try to do a quick adjustment to the ride height first using the ‘three 2x4’ method mentioned in other threads. It’s still an 1”+ high but there is considerable weight yet to add with the engine, full tank of gas, passengers, etc.

It’s starting to look like a car!

Last edited by Cruzzz; 06-29-2019 at 11:43 PM.
    Build Thread HERE

28. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Flywheel, Blockplate, Clutch, and QT Bell Housing

Continued working towards being ready to put the engine in this coming week. Over the weekend mounted the block plate, flywheel, clutch, clutch fork, and bell housing.

I’m using an SFI certified Quick Time bell housing for extra safety against the potential that the fly wheel would blow apart. The SFI version was only $30 more than the non-SFI version. One drawback is that the bottom of the block plate and bell housing sit considerably lower than the 4” frame rail. This is a big deal since if you should hit something it could do some major damage. I temporarily mounted the block plate and housing. Marked where the bottom edge of the oil pan was, and cutoff the lower parts with a cutoff blade one my grinder.

Then assembled the clutch fork and mounted on the pivot ball in the bell housing.

Adjusted the pivot ball to achieve a near parallel clutch fork position in relation to the bell housing transmission mating surface.

Last edited by Cruzzz; 06-30-2019 at 11:02 PM.
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote is in!!!

Fortunate to have a couple days off in a row over the holiday and finished getting the engine, bell housing, transmission, starter, hydraulic clutch, and alternator married together. The only hiccups were 1) needing to trim the bottom of the bell housing to get it flush with the bottom of the oil pan and above the frame; 2) retapping one of the bolt holes where the aft support and 3/4” spacer attached to the transmission; and 3) re-tapping the starter threads in the bell housing that had a thick layer of powder coating.

Spent most of Saturday making sure anything that would be inaccessible in the engine bay was wrapped up as well. This included sealing/riveting the remaining inner portions of the foot boxes, clamping down the fuel line, tapping the ground hole on the passenger side engine mount, and adding a hole/grommet to drivers side foot box for the hydraulic clutch line.

To get ready to drop the engine in the next day I removed the steering shaft, swung the brake and hydraulic clutch reservoirs outside the frame, removed the radiator, and removed the hood hinges. I also put the engine leveler on the hoist and hooked up the engine/transmission to let it hang a couple inches off the floor overnight. This was for my piece of mind to prove the hoist setup would hold everything when it was much higher during the install. Would rather drop it two inches than three feet.

The next morning with the help of Mrs. Cruzzz we slowly and methodically set the coyote it. Probably took ~45 minutes. As many have stated it is very tight and you must go slow moving everything in, down, tilt over and over until it finally rests on the engine mounts. I did put the rear up higher on jack stands and the front was on short jack stands. Originally the front was on the tires but it was too low to slide the hoist in underneath. Also attached a ratchet strap to the end of the transmission, under the front round tube and to the hoist to create a greater angle.

All in! No bumps or bruises to the engine, frame, or us.

Attached the driveshaft adapter and driveshaft.

View from underneath with hydraulic clutch hooked up/bled and you can see how I trimmed the bottom of the bell housing.

Last edited by Cruzzz; 07-07-2019 at 08:59 PM.
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Looks great.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    As a spectator and in-progress builder this was a great opportunity to see the various customizations, options, and upgrades out there. I also took the opportunity to check out potential paint options in person. Not sure if seeing all these beautiful cars helped narrow my paint scope or not.

Part of the event involves charity rides where some of the cobra owners are gracious to share a ride in their car for a small donation to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. My brother-in-law, nephew and myself were happy to donate to the cause. Unfortunately I can't remember the gentlemen's name I rode with but a super nice guy (and car).

The ride and people I met just reinforced why I'm building this car. Goal is to have mine finished in time to drive in the parade into London next year! Time to get back to building...
    Hah! Paint choice, one of the hardest decisions as roadsters look good in so many colors. Anything you are considering? We are glad to help you decide on YOUR car.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats. The coyote install is a big moment. Good job getting Mrs Cruzzz involved as well. The more connected the wife is to the car, the less likely we see it in the classifieds. Just a theory...
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    For paint I think I have narrowed it to some combination of red and silver/stone. I do really like the “hellfire” that ckrueger has done.

Attachment 96614Attachment 96615Attachment 96616
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    The Hellfire is very nice. Can’t go wrong with that.
    Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the engine install!! Can't wait for your "1st Start" update!

Post Thanks / Like

Fluids, Headers, and Moroso Expansion Tank

While continuing work on wiring I have also been pressing on with getting the engine bay tied up. First off I picked up all new fluids (except the oil I drained/saved from the Coyote) to make sure everything was full with the correct fluids from the start. Below is a complete list:

3 x ACDelco 10-4006 Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid - 1 qt https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0026JK8FA..._1IOnDbKE0DK7B

3 x KRC Power Steering PSF 10032001 Power Steering Fluid (KRC Quart), 32 Ounces https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EM5VP7K..._kKOnDbSFPW4B4

2 x Genuine Ford Fluid VC-3-B Orange Concentrated Antifreeze/Coolant - 1 Gallon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BNVK14U..._PKOnDbXSMCCKB

2 x Motor Oil https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NU6K6U..._lLOnDb6Z7QW36

3 x Motorcraft #XY75W85QL OIL - REAR AXLE (XY75W85QL) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009B5SRIM..._SLOnDb5K0EPN1

1 x Genuine Ford Fluid XL-3 Friction Modifier Additive - 4 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NU5LP6..._hMOnDbW9DN86Q

Also installed the awesome GASN stainless headers. Thanks Georgie! Used Remflex gaskets as well.

You can see the alternator, oil pressure an water temperature wiring is also completed in the picture above.

Next ordered a Moroso Gen 2 coolant expansion tank and the required hoses. Made up two brackets from 1 1/4” x 1/8” steel bar to hang the tank from the front 3/4” chassis bar. The tank mounting flange is even with the bottom of the frame bar as others have stated it needs to be for clearance. I do have PM’s out to a couple individuals to confirm this looks right. Easier to change now if I need to rather than when all the hoses are hooked up and coolant is already in.

Last edited by Cruzzz; 07-23-2019 at 08:00 PM.
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd up the coolant to 3 gallons (4 if running a heater) on hand. On first start of 9365 (heater equipped) I had the overflow tank over-full with 3 gallons. When it fired that got sucked down to empty in seconds! Better to have a backup than an "Oh Sheit" moment!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks John - The coolant on hand is a concentrate you mix 50/50 with distilled water. Once it’s mixed I will have around 4 gallons but never hurts to have extra just in case. Heading out to start wrapping this wiring up so I can fire it up soon. Will try to call you today or tomorrow about our possible visit.
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like

Power Steering Reservoir Leak and Cockpit Tins

Last Saturday morning I went out to start another weekend of work on the roadster and noticed a small pool of liquid on the floor. Turns out after filling and bleeding the power steering system the prior weekend there was a pin hole in one of the welds.

Sunday night I sent a note with this picture to FF. Called them Monday morning to get their thoughts and after five minutes they were reaching out to KRC to have another reservoir and pump sent out at no cost. I know some take exception to back orders and other minor issues but FFR’s customer service continues to be top notch for me. Well done!

Since everything underneath and around the cockpit is complete I thought it was safe to install the remaining tins. Starting to look more like a car.

Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like

Cooling System and Heater

Spent most of last weekend plumbing the coolant system. As noted before I’m using the Gen 2 Moroso expansion tank and I ordered all the OEM hoses (not cheap) to tie it all together like it would be in a normal Mustang-Coyote setup. Most of the approach followed a combination of what others have done (see edwardb, Fixit etc.). I found the hardest part was getting the lower radiator hose configured. Here is how it turned out.

This method used a 90* stainless exhaust section from Jegs, Breeze bracket, and two parts of a hose from the auto parts store. Very similar to others approach.

I’m also installing a heater and buttoned up the supply lines up for it as well. Most of this layout is based on what Fixit developed including making a bracket to hold it all in the right place.

I used Gates Powergrips to clamp down all the coolant connects. These were easy to install, cost similar to metal clamps, but seem to have much more hold power and look great. Highly recommended.

All together...

Last edited by Cruzzz; 08-03-2019 at 11:06 PM.
    Build Thread HERE

42. Likes Fixit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oil Separator, Air Cleaner, Fuel line wrap up

Many upgrades to my build are items that are borderline whether they are needed and often items that are part of great debate on the forum (heater, Moroso tank, powder coating.....). Adding an oil separator is one of those but the relatively small cost and ease of doing it while still in the build phase are a no brainer for me.

I ordered the oil separator from JLT and it appears to be a very well designed product. With a few slight alterations to the provided hoses I was able to install it very tight and neatly on the passenger side.

The air cleaner install was straight forward following the FFR Coyote figment instructions. I did need a couple extra nylon fittings that I also ordered from JLT.

Also finished the fuel line install by connecting the engine fuel rail to the flex line running to the regulator. Fabricated a small ‘shelf’ bracket to fasten the lines down where they connected. Connections at the engine were done using several fittings from Summit to incorporate a fuel pressure gauge and get from the AN hose end to the fuel rail quick connect.

Last edited by Cruzzz; 08-04-2019 at 09:00 AM.
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like

Engine Bay Almost Complete

With nearly everything complete in the engine bay I put the engine and valve covers on and I’m really pleased with how clean and tidy it all looks. There is a lot going on in a very small space with the Coyote.

This next picture shows the tale of two worlds though...I need to get back to finishing the cockpit wiring. 😀

Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice, just came across your build thread and will be watching. I'm down in the Skokie/Niles area with Mark III so not too far away and glad to see another in the area. I have been having oil pressure issues and right now it is out in Plainfield getting a new oil pump but I expect to get it back sometime this week.
    Last edited by timmil; 08-04-2019 at 06:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good. Nice write up.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast