Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Advice on crate engine suppliers????

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Advice on crate engine suppliers????

I am looking to do a 351W install in my MK4 complete kit. I am going through my build right now. Starting to reach out to crate engine suppliers and finding there are several out there. Can I get some input as to good suppliers? And just as important, suppliers that I should be aware of the "fine print" or lack of product quality. I realize it's hard to speak badly of a supplier, but being forewarned, on a forum as great as this one, would be helpful. Thanks in advance for any that provides "good ones" and "watch out for" suppliers.
    Tags: None

Post Thanks / Like
    Blue Print
    Forte
    Levy
    Not in any particular order but you can't go wrong with any of them.
    Todd Baumann
    FFR Build School Instructor 16+ Years Mott Community College
    FFR 2086 MKI, 22+ years on the road
    FFR 300 MKI Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    Very helpful to have one that is familiar with the different FFR kits so they understand what oil pans, intake manifolds, accessory drive systems, etc fit. All 3 of Todd's recommendations know that...
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the recommendations from Todd and F33rod, good guidance. At the same time I like working with a shop more local to me so I can discuss the plan and expected outcome, it's easier to be more involved in the component selection.

On the other side, I have two friends that have recently had less than favorable experiences with Craft Performance Engines. Both this year and too early to tell how each engine runs. Will know more in a month or so.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I have nothing but good to say about Blue Print engines.
    They were great to work with.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Another big fan of BluePrint Engines. My setup came fully assembled and ready to put into the car. When the day came to start it for the first time, it started on the first turn of the key. When I needed help, BluePrint was right there and even collaborated with Factory Five to help me properly wire my EFI without butchering the wire harness. First rate product built from top quality parts with a fantastic warranty and unbelievable customer service. If I were ever to do another build, I wouldn't even think twice about calling BluePrint for my engine and transmission.

Probably this setup:

https://www.factoryfiveengines.com/b...ted-ho-stage-2

I have their 347 with the TKO-600. Here are the dyno numbers:

Dave
    Last edited by Papa; 06-19-2020 at 08:27 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    I had Mike Forte build my 351w and it was perfect. He even threw in a custom cam that really provided a lumpy sound and it pulled like a demon. I asked for a nice driving 400hp engine and the dyno show exactly that (topped around 410hp). Both hp and torque were essentially matching right across the graph.

Just as listed my choices would be: Forte, Blue Print or Levy in no specific order. You’d in KS so shipping likely will be similar for all three.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    A key no matter who you choose would be to ask questions before choosing a builder and writing a check. Getting as much detail as possible before committing will prevent surprises later. Finding out about what heads will be used, are they off the shelf or custom ground, is the cam custom ground and what is the overlap, and other recommendations the builder makes based on your expected use/needs. If a turnkey engine find out about what ecu will be used (if applicable) and if the accessories are SAE/metric compatible. Even something simple like if it will include a locking dipstick to prevent crankcase pressure from blowing the dipstick out. Talking with more than 1 builder before choosing will help you get comfortable with your choice.
    Mk4 Complete kit #8469: Levy Racing Stage 5 with Inglese stack. TKO 600, 3 link rear suspension. FAST Sportsman with dyno-tune. APE hardtop. Father & Son project, delivered Nov 2014, completed June 2017.

11. Likes Dieter123 liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You may want to consider this "Ford Looking LS Engine" since Factory Five now supports the LS Platform so you might want to take a look at PACE Performance.

https://paceperformance.com/LS3-533-...70413-CHX.html

Slap on some generic valve covers and The Ford Folks will assume you've got some sort a NASCAR mill under the hood.

The Front Drive Distributor will throw them off and believe it or not, the Dizzi is for a SBF so it can be swapped out for a more traditional looking piece if you don't like the HEI.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 06-20-2020 at 06:10 AM.

13. Likes RoadRacer, Dieter123 liked this post