Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  22
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Living the Dream - Applied for Title and Registration

Post Thanks / Like
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like

Russ Thompson Wiring

Been a while between updates but a lot has happened (don’t skip to the last post you’ll ruin the surprise).

After staring at the wiring diagram for a while and reaching out to a few forum members the RT wiring finally made sense and it is crazy looking back on how simple it is but my brain couldn’t quite understand a few things. I placed everything on a single mounting plate that was later attached to the firewall.

And wired up...

MKIV #9542 Complete Kit, Coyote, IRS - Delivered - 2/19/19, First start - 9/8/19, Go Cart - 9/14/19
    1965 Mustang Convertible 4v 289
    Build Thread HERE

3. Likes Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glovebox

As many have stated real estate is at a premium behind the dash and especially if you have a heater. To up the challenge I also wanted a glovebox to store a few small items and aesthetically fill the void on the passenger side dash.

In the end I was able to achieve a uniform glovebox with 1.5” at the bottom and 1.25” at the top. Considerably more than I initially expected.

Last edited by Cruzzz; 09-08-2019 at 07:44 PM.
    MKIV #9542 Complete Kit, Coyote, IRS - Delivered - 2/19/19, First start - 9/8/19, Go Cart - 9/14/19
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like

Dash Cover and Setup

I used a blank dash so I could create a hybrid competition layout with a few options ( heated seat switches, Coyote MIL, etc). All the holes were cut after doing test holes and fitting on scrap. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to take the time and do this!

Added 1/8” padding...

Then got to work on the leather and pie cuts...

Installed...

Last edited by Cruzzz; 09-08-2019 at 08:12 PM.
    Build Thread HERE

6. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

#9542 First Start

After running through my punch list this was the weekend to see if months of work actually produced a running machine. Saturday we pushed it out of the garage (just in case), I pushed in the clutch switch and turned the ignition...It turn over but nothing. Disappointment.

After some troubleshooting I noticed the inertia switch was off, pushed down on the top to re-engage it and tried again. This time I heard the fuel pump kick on as it should, turned the switch to start, it turned over, fired, then quickly died. Disappointment.

Back to troubleshooting...since it would fire but die I narrowed it down to things involved in the ‘run’ phase such as the ignition switch (check), coyote power wires (check), and sensors (bingo). I inadvertently installed the MAF backwards in the air intake.

Third times the charm...

Success!

One thing you may notice I forgot to put on the punch list was final hook up of the radiator fan. This is now complete and happy to say it comes on as expected but it is pretty loud.

Please excuse the occasional finger in the way. : )
    Last edited by Cruzzz; 09-08-2019 at 08:59 PM.
    Build Thread HERE

8. Likes Drezx6r, GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woo Hoo!!
    Another one lives!!

2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    nice work. congrats.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks and sounds great. congratulations. Are those "stock" FF pipes? they sound great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! Such a great moment.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Hauser View Post
    That looks and sounds great. congratulations. Are those "stock" FF pipes? they sound great.
    Hi Joel - They are polished stainless pipes from GAS-N. The headers are also from GAS-N. I had the opportunity to listen to a few brands at the London Cobra show and these had the best sound and also slightly softer since the tip is turned down.
    Build Thread HERE

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Just before it started it didn't it feel like this?

https://youtu.be/xMxsLKQidY4?list=RD0VkrUG3OrPc

Congratulations From The Dark Dart Side!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Just before it started it didn't it feel like this?

https://youtu.be/xMxsLKQidY4?list=RD0VkrUG3OrPc

Congratulations From The Dark Dart Side!
    Indeed! and when it did start I knew I had created a monster. : )
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome!!! Go Cruzzz! Congratulations - that feels great!

Post Thanks / Like

First Go Cart

Thanks for all the congrats! This is getting exciting now that it is running. After running at temp a few times over the course of a week, and no leaks, I did a quick alignment and went around the driveway for the first go cart. I live on a busy street so it will just be laps around the driveway until registration.

Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like

Lights and Flipping the Body

The last week has been spent working through all the light connections and confirming the Russ Thompson system is wired up correctly. I used Weather Pack connectors and converted everything over to LEDs. This is highly recommended for safety reasons as the originally incandescents aren’t very bright. The Weather Packs take some time but make for a nice weather tight connection and keeps it clean. One challenge I ran into was getting a couple of the turn signal wires mixed up which caused some peculiar functionality. I was worried something was off with the RT wiring but just needed to flip a couple wires. Here is a quick walk around.

Next week will focus on insulation and start carpeting and other interior tasks. Getting very close to putting the body back on so we flipped it over to prep with undercoating.

Last edited by Cruzzz; 09-29-2019 at 10:01 PM.
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    First go cart was a great day for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on the start and gocart. Really good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Body Undercoating

Temps are now in the 20s and we have a few inches of snow on the ground but a couple weeks ago I took the opportunity to undercoat the body with Herculiner. The idea is to add some cushion so any rocks that are kicked up are less likely to cause damage to the body or paint. First step was to tape off all the edges and openings.

Then applied two coats of Herculiner over the coarse of a couple days allowing the first coat to fully dry first. Make sure you stir well and get all the material in the bottom of the paint can mixed/ suspended in the paint.

Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like

Carpet, Seat Bases, and Seat Belts

The complete kit comes with precut carpet for the driver/passenger areas and to my surprise a precut piece for the trunk. This makes the installation very easy. I used a combination of 3M 90 spray glue and the upholstery glue used previously on the dash. The upholstery glue brushed on around edges for extra hold. All carpet except the floors were installed first.

I’m also using the Breeze seat bases for the incline and resulting extra leg room (6’1”). The bottom plate for the seat bases were riveted to the floor on top of the Coolmat insulation, then the floor carpet was installed over the base plates. A small cut was made so the for post bolts stuck through to bold down the top plate over the carpet. Will never be seen but this creates a very clean look.

I also carpet the trunk but unfortunately couldn’t use the provided precut trunk carpet since it is configured for a no frill, standard trunk layout. I’m using the drop trunk and added upper trunk side panels to finish it off. I will say the trunk carpeting is a bear. There are lots of different angles, edges, and obstacles throughout. Highly recommend buying some craft paper and spend quality time making patterns. You will end up with a much nicer end product and save some frustration knowing the carpet will fit exactly as it should. I was able to install the whole trunk using 2.5 yards of carpet. I ended up with 5 sections with the goal of not having seams where there were corner transitions from lower to upper sections for the trunk. These seem to have the heaviest wear and most prone to coming loose.

The interior is almost all black and I was look for some ways to bring in an accent color. The first step was swapping out the black Simpson seat belts for red Cipher 5pt harnesses. I was also very interested in having the Cam Lock functionality.

The Cipher seatbelts come with eyelet bolt anchors for each section of the harness. These bolt right up to the FFR mounts. You can see the lap belt eyelets and the submarine belt eyelet in the first picture. The harness itself has quick release clips on each end that fasten on these eyelets. Before mounting the seat belts I applied a few liberal coats of Scotchguard water and UV protectant to hopefully reduce the chance of fading.
    Last edited by Cruzzz; 11-15-2019 at 01:47 AM.
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like

Seats and Transmission Cover

With the carpet and seat bases in I bolted in the Kirkey Lowback seats. I previously test fit the seats and predrilled the base mount bolt holes in the seat bottoms. I had also been working on the transmission tunnel cover filling in the gear shift hole and adding holes for two cup holders. The cover was then sent off to the upholsterer to work their magic with the remaining leather hide I had left from the dash. As mentioned earlier I was looking for ways to add some accents to the interior and decided to leverage red stitching for the gear shifter boot and the transmission tunnel. Also fastened the cover down using 6” strips of commercial grade 3M Velcro. It is very solid yet removable.

Last edited by Cruzzz; 11-15-2019 at 10:00 AM.
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like

Drive Shaft Safety Hoop

Add a Metco drive shaft safety hoop to the many customizations that I believe, for the minimal incremental cost, are great insurance for your safety. The Metco hoop is reasonably priced compared to other options, well engineered, and easy to bolt on. Only minor customization was adding four grade 8 nuts to act as spacers raising the hoop a little higher above the drive shaft to make sure there was adequate clearance and four 1/2” longer bolts.

Last edited by Cruzzz; 11-30-2019 at 10:33 PM.
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like

Final Prep Before Body Install

Wrapped up a list of punch list items before putting the body back on:

-Double checked and fastened down any loose wires
    -Removed the side pipes, front elephant ears/guards, and steering wheel
    -Put a couple inches of painters tape on the top dash edge to protect leather
    -Closed off defrost vent holes on heater with two layers of foil duct tape (won’t be installing defrost vents)

And finally added the various foam pieces that seal everything up with the body on. Although most of this is described in the manual and in various posts, I didn’t find many pictures showing where everything goes. Hope this helps others (or if anyone sees something out of place let me know ).

Last edited by Cruzzz; 11-30-2019 at 10:50 PM.
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like

Body Back On!

The stars aligned and I finished up my punch list of items that needed completed before putting the body back on over Thanksgiving. I was also fortunate to have relatives in town to offer a few extra hands (does make it much easier!). It has been just over 9 months since I took delivery of my kit and the last time the body was on the frame. Today we got it back on during half time of the Ohio State/Michigan game. It is just sitting on the foam for now. I’ll start into getting everything lined up next week.

Last edited by Cruzzz; 11-30-2019 at 11:06 PM.
    Build Thread HERE

27. Likes Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coming together...

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Fantastic Job!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great awesome job !!!! I’m not to far away from you here in Illinois almost finished with my truck build. maybe some day our paths will cross at a cruise nite or car show. Rob
    FFR 35 p/u # 0016 Dart 347 TKO 600

Post Thanks / Like
    Been MIA for a while but have got a lot done....

Trimmed and mounted the hood. May add some bushings to cleanup the area when the hood levers come through the hood. The gas struts and hinges work very well.

Last edited by Cruzzz; 01-28-2020 at 10:53 PM.
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Next worked on the front overriders, headlights and turn signals.

Overriders - Opened up the predrilled holes to accept ********** grommets and 3/4” stainless tubes to finish it off nicely. Cut the tubes to length and polished using metal polish and pads on my Dremmel. Overriders bolted on using FFR supplied bolts and washers.

Lights - Headlight and turn signal wiring was run before the body was put on including Weatherpack connectors. I used different connector ends (male vs female) on each frame side connector so each light only could plug into one of the connections. I did this because I new everything worked perfectly during setup and this made sure all went in the same place. I also marked the back side of the turn signals and brake lights with passenger/driver and turn vs brake ( for rear).

Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Windshield - Admittedly was dreading this part with the recent flurry of broken windshield posts. All in all straight forward but take your time. First I test fit the side frames several times and made incremental bends to get them flush with the windshield frame. Once all lined up took them off one last time, cut the bottom of the posts off to 13” as others have recommended. Remounted the posts and attempted sliding the posts in the precut post holes in the body but they needed opened up slightly. Few more trial and error moments and they slid in. Marked the hole locations, drilled and tapped holes to accept threading the bolts into the posts. This came highly recommended and when all done I agree. Just do it! : ). With holes tapped slid windshield back into place and used several washers to shim any natural gaps between the frame mounts and posts then tightened down with supplied bolts.

Last edited by Cruzzz; 01-28-2020 at 11:08 PM.
    Build Thread HERE

34. Likes PeteMeindl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I mostly worked from front to back lining up the body on the frame and finishing other tasks. This process is described well by The Jeff’s in several body alignment threads.

Next up we’re the doors. I didn’t take any pictures of the process but the passenger side generally fell into place without much coaxing. The drivers side on the other hand...take your time and step away when needed. Key takeaways include pushing body in as far as possible by leading edge of the door, pull body out 1”+ at rear of door, angle top front of door out, get it close and let the professionals make it look great. : )
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Filler neck - Cut the hose connection to correct length and fastened to gas cap and filler tube with provided hose clamps. Also installed the static ground as required. Make sure you clear any paint on the body mount.

Before installing the Lemans gas cap spent some time polishing using my Dremmel. To install used stainless machine screws, washers, lock washers, and nuts.

Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    I had my ground in the same place,,,just moved it to the diagonal 3/4 inch tube toward the rear,,, in the way of mounting the rear elephant ears.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Railroad - Thanks for the heads up! Thankfully it is an easy move at this point. This is also why I like having a build thread and posting lots of pictures for others to check for issues.
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Next enlarged the louver openings as others have done to line the opening angles up with those of the actual louver. I was doing really well to this point in the build in not 'messing' anything up but I miss cut the passenger side opening. Very frustrating moment. Had to step away from for a day then used the HSRF I had on hand to fill the opening back in some and re-size it. I also just happened to connect with Jeff Kleiner the following day and confessed my sins although he assured me it wasn't a big deal. (I think he was being nice but I'm sure it will cause more body work) : (

Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Roll bars: The MKIV uses the 1.5" rollbars but after looking at quite a few during the London Cobra Show last year I came away wanting the beefier 2" versions used on the MKIII. Once back home I sold the 1.5" driver and passenger roll bars I had and order as set of 2" from FFR. One issue was the stubs on the frame are made to seat the smaller bars and the larger ones may move around. Mike Everson was generous enough to machine a couple bushings that slide over the stubs bringing the to 2". A little work opening up the pre-cut holes in the body and the roll bars were in.

Last edited by Cruzzz; 01-29-2020 at 11:55 PM.
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    You probably already noticed in the pictures above, but I also finished up the trunk lid, tail lights, trunk latch, license plate holder, and reverse light. Not to much to add on those. The reverse light idea originated from Fixit's build, positioned the license plate holder as high as possible while lining up with the molded part of the body, and used the Kleiner mod to attach the overriders.

Last edited by Cruzzz; 01-29-2020 at 11:57 PM.
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    This past weekend also installed the wind wings and Terry's mirrors. The mirrors were another decision made while attending the London Cobra Show. They are well made, look and function great with the wind wings, and greatly improve visibility compared to the stock mirror(s).

Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    And with that...I have everything completed to send in my application for title and registration!!!

Four photos and all the required paperwork. Now wait.

Build Thread HERE

44. Likes PeteMeindl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Fantastic work Chris. Looks beautiful.
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    Hope everyone is safe and healthy! I finished the pre bodywork/paint part of my MKIV build in early February after 12 months, sent in paperwork to get my title and registration, and successfully passed the inspection and received my title as everything went into lock down here in Illinois. Exciting news...the Secretary of State opened back up last week and I finally got my registration and plates yesterday. Needless to say I went for a celebratory cruise today and passed 500 miles (~400 pre-registration miles ) on the odometer along the way.

Everything is running great! Going to enjoy driving it in gelcoat until my number is up in the paint booth.

Build Thread HERE

47. Likes PeteMeindl, GTBradley liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123