Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Living the Dream - Applied for Title and Registration

Post Thanks / Like

Living the Dream - Applied for Title and Registration

Put my order in for a complete MKIV kit this past week! I got the car bug when I bought my wife a 1965 convertible mustang for her 40th a few years ago. It was previously repainted and the interior refurbished but the engine and everything you couldn’t see was a mess. I’ve just about wrapped everything on her car keeping it as original, and safe, as possible.

Being a year+ shy of my own 40th she encouraged me to pursue my dream car as well and put in the order. Goal is to enjoy the build journey but have it completed for my 40th.

Thanks in advance for all the help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the madness of the build. You've come to the right place for help with the build and with spending money. If you have not all ready done so, be sure to read through the many different threads of some masterful builders on here. There are some really awesome ideas that you will want to copy or that will get your own creative juices flowing. It seems that everyone here is willing to help in some way or another. Looking forward to watching your build progress.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice looking 65!!

Welcome aboard. What are your build plans?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome To The Factory Five Family!

The complete kit is the way to go and working with all new parts is way more fun than playing the refurbishing game.
    Heck, maybe consider painting your car to match, or not, but here is a little motivation to go:.. Red, Red, Red!

Mr. Shelby's Own CSX 3178 Sells:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJpASOjJWa8

Other Pics Of That Car, And Some Others, To Motivate You:

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...3178&fr=mcafee
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-17-2018 at 07:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the asylum...
    One of the things you'll have to get your head wrapped around is building an entire car with all new parts. No fighting 50 year old rusty, mis-aligned, whacked in a wreck 35 years ago, old car name-it.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

7. Likes Aircontroller liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Cruzzz! You're in for a great time and a great group of people here to share it with!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the club Im in a very similar place . Picking up my Roadster in February. Just Finished a 1966 stang I built for my wife and have another for myself. As mentioned before going to be nice not to come in from the garage with filthy greasy hands from scaping some old nasty part

10. Thanks Sigurd thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a summary of my build so far although I'm sure there will be a few more changes before delivery and during the build:

MKIV complete kit
    Chassis powder coat
    Low-back vintage seats
    Power steering
    Vintage GPS gauge set
    Over-rider set
    Windshield wiper kit
    Brake duct wire mesh
    Blank dash
    DS chrome roll bar and grommets
    Assembled side louvers
    Trunk gas struts
    IRS suspension
    IRS center section, spindles, hubs
    Wind wings
    Heater/defroster
    Halibrand 17x9 and 17x10.5 wheels
    Stock Mustang brakes

Gen 2 Coyote and TKO 600 (Forte)

Other options:
    Russ Thompson trunk drop
    Front battery
    Forte hydraulic clutch
    Breeze Seat mounting kit
    Gas-N Headers and Side Pipes
    Cobra seat heaters
    Last edited by Cruzzz; 03-09-2019 at 08:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Your planned build looks very similar to mine. I'll be following along closely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the frame buck together last night with some supervision. Hopefully finish up the body buck tonight before heading out of town for the holidays. Also waiting for a dry day to move the mustang to my other garage. Its no trailer queen but I have spent too much time and effort removing all the rust to put it out in the rain even for a couple minutes.

IMG_0192.jpgIMG_0196.jpgIMG_0199.jpg
    Last edited by Cruzzz; 12-21-2018 at 05:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzzz View Post
    Got the frame buck together last night with some supervision. Hopefully finish up the body buck tonight before heading out of town for the holidays. Also waiting for a dry day to move the mustang to my other garage. Its no trailer queen but I have spent too much time and effort removing all the rust to put it out in the rain even for a coupe minutes.

Which plans did you use for that chassis dolly or is it an original? I'm planning to start this one over the weekend.
    MKIV Complete Kit #9494 l Delivered 1/5/19 l First Start 11/28/20 l First Go-kart 4/11/21 l Carb'd 347 l Mid-shift TKO600 l 3.55 IRS l P/S l Forte Mechanical Throttle Linkage l RT Turn Signal, Drop Trunk l Breeze Upper/Lower Radiator Support, Fan Shroud l Boig Upper/Lower Cool Tubes & Quiet Pipes l 18" FFR Gasser Wheels l Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAHokie View Post
    Which plans did you use for that chassis dolly or is it an original? I'm planning to start this one over the weekend.
    I leveraged a design by Jazzman (that was derivative of a few others designs) found here. Also using the frame buck measurements included in the same thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the frame buck together last night with some supervision. Hopefully finish up the body buck tonight before heading out of town for the holidays. Also waiting for a dry day to move the mustang to my other garage. Its no trailer queen but I have spent too much time and effort removing all the rust to put it out in the rain even for a couple minutes.

Ha! I've got a similar supervisor. Although in my dolly pic, she's lying down on the job, similar to your pic #2:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...dl-Mk-IV-Build, post 20....

Your chassis dolly looks good!
    Last edited by PeteMeindl; 12-21-2018 at 06:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on the condition of your back, you may consider something like this
    Roller01.png
    I kinda "imagineered" it from dimensions on other dollies, but it sure was nice to have the bottom of the car at knee-height.

2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    Depending on the condition of your back, you may consider something like this
    Roller01.png
    I kinda "imagineered" it from dimensions on other dollies, but it sure was nice to have the bottom of the car at knee-height.
    I definitely would have liked it at this height. I have the standard dolly height and put a floor in today and my back is on fire! Get it as high as you can.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Cruzzz……….!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well tomorrow is the official completion date. Talked to Stewarts today and they said there is a trip on its way to Arkansas right now and mine should be on the next load that will be picked up around 2/11. Which just happens to be my birthday!

I got in on Herbs door panel deal and am eagerly anticipating their arrival in the next day or two. I'm planning black leather for the door panels, dash, trans tunnel cover and possibly the top half of the back wall similar to what Fixit did. I ordered the leather off Ebay thanks to Papa's tip and had it shipped directly to Herb to save a few dollars on shipping.

I've also started to acquire some of the other odds and ends like these cleco's.

and a 2-Ton Engine Hoist and Dolly from HF.

Now I just need the temps to improve and the snow to melt so Stewarts can get here sooner!
    Last edited by Cruzzz; 02-01-2019 at 08:01 PM.
    MKIV #9542 Complete Kit, Coyote, IRS - Delivered - 2/19/19, First start - 9/8/19, Go Cart - 9/14/19
    1965 Mustang Convertible 4v 289
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great. I have a nearly identical build planned and completion date is early March so it'll be great to follow along.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm planning black leather for the door panels, dash, trans tunnel cover and possibly the top half of the back wall similar to what Fixit did.
    Just a heads up, if your going to do the back wall with the leather, your going to want to keep it as smooth as possible. Every little bump will show in the leather. I followed the FIxit look as well, I had to pull the leather back off and sand down the lizard skin to get the smooth look. It wasn't hard, just a bit of time and actually having the lizard skin on there helped cover the rivet heads. Check my thread on this if you wish...
    IMG_2813.jpeg IMG_2812.jpg
    I still have to pull the trans cover off and correct the imperfection of the fill plate that shows... the leather exaggerates everything.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600

Post Thanks / Like
    Picking mine up three days after my birthday

Post Thanks / Like
    BadAsp - Thanks for the heads up! I’ll plan to smooth the back wall out before I apply the leather. Will probably put down 1/8” padding too.
    MKIV #9542 Complete Kit, Coyote, IRS - Delivered - 2/19/19, First start - 9/8/19, Go Cart - 9/14/19
    Build Thread HERE

25. Likes BadAsp427 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    2x on keeping the back wall smooth... Thinking back on it, if I was to do it again, I'd probably tear out little nubs (halfway through) of the sheet padding I used over each rivet head, then glue it in place - smooth side out.

The only place where the rivet heads printed through that's visible is between the seats... nearly all others are concealed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats and Welcome. Those clecos will be super handy. I know mine have been.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Received my door panels from Herb today. They look great! Way too early to really get these but I wanted to make sure they were done in the same leather I plan to use for the dash and transmission tunnel cover.

In this picture you can see Herb includes industrial strength Velcro to attach it to the door. The grayish/blue is the back side of the pocket.

Stewart's should be picking my kit up tomorrow or Thursday.
    Last edited by Cruzzz; 02-17-2019 at 12:50 PM.
    Build Thread HERE

29. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Delivery day arrived this past Tuesday and Scott from Stewart's has to be one of the friendliest people I have every met. After a couple snow storms the during the prior week the skies cleared and the sun came out while we shuttled everything into its new home

I spent the next few days doing a full inventory and glad I did. Gaining familiarity with each of the parts should pay dividends down the road. Just two bolts, two screws, and two lengths of brake line missing from what was supposed to be here. Only major items in the POL list are the gas tank, wiper parts box, and the drive shaft. Won't need any of those for a couple weeks or more.

Some of my favorite items from the inventory process:

Beautiful wood! My wife's favorite too.

Love the classic look.

Also got an assist from my wife today and removed the body and put it on the body dolly in another garage.

This is how it sits as of tonight. Plan to spend most of the day tomorrow marking and drilling panels.

Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    AWESOME!!!! Now the real fun can begin.... Congratulations...
    Last edited by BadAsp427; 03-09-2019 at 07:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its been a busy last two weeks including ordering several items (aka spending money) from supporting vendors, drilling holes, painting and starting assembly.

I completed the front suspension including trimming down the UCA adjusting sleeves mentioned by Fixit and others. There is no way you would even be close to the initial alignment measurements given in the manual without doing this. Highly recommend completing this during assembly. I also attempted to use the provided upper ball joints (even with some removal of powder coating on the threads) to no avail. Ordered the Moog K772 ball joints recommended by Edwardb and the went in no problem. Funny part is on top of the ball join is stamped "Problem Solver".

Please let me know if you see anything out of place.

Also installed the power steering rack using the solid offsets sold by Mike Everson. Ordered the Moog ES2150R tied rod ends while I was at it following Edwardb's lead again.

In the midst of assembly went ahead and ordered the following. As mentioned before doing my part to help the economy.:

ReplicaParts.com (Mike Everson)
    - 2" roll bar studs (thanks for milling these for me Mike!)
    - Russ Thompson turn signal grommet
    - Front license plate bracket (inexpensive piece to help with Illinois inspection)
    - Set of Weather Pack connectors
    - Seat belt trim plates

Breeze Automotive
    - Front battery mount
    - Seat bases
    - Radiator fan shroud
    - Hinged radiator mounting kit
    - Lower radiator support kit
    - Power steering rack offsets

Tangent Technologies:
    - Hidden roll bar fasteners for 2" roll bar

Russ Thompson
    - Turn signal system
    - Drop trunk kit

Last but not least...

Mike Forte Performance Parts:
    - Coyote Engine
    - TKO600 Transmission
    - Hydraulic Clutch
    - Installation package (all the stuff not provided in the FFR Coyote install package)
    - Cobra seat heaters
    - Triple CNC Reservoirs (FYI...if you want a set of these better order soon Mike mentioned it is a family business and they are likely closing this Spring)
    Last edited by Cruzzz; 03-09-2019 at 05:50 PM.
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of engine...look what showed up yesterday.

Build Thread HERE

34. Likes Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its been a busy last two weeks including ordering several items (aka spending money) from supporting vendors, drilling holes, painting and starting assembly.

I completed the front suspension including trimming down the UCA adjusting sleeves mentioned by Fixit and others. There is no way you would even be close to the initial alignment measurements given in the manual without doing this. Highly recommend completing this during assembly. I also attempted to use the provided upper ball joints (even with some removal of powder coating on the threads) to no avail. Ordered the Moog K772 ball joints recommended by Edwardb and the went in no problem. Funny part is on top of the ball join is stamped "Problem Solver".

Please let me know if you see anything out of place.

Also installed the power steering rack using the solid offsets sold by Mike Everson. Ordered the Moog ES2150R tied rod ends while I was at it following Edwardb's lead again.

In the midst of assembly went ahead and ordered the following. As mentioned before doing my part to help the economy.:

ReplicaParts.com (Mike Everson)
    - 2" roll bar studs (thanks for milling these for me Mike!)
    - Russ Thompson turn signal grommet
    - Front license plate bracket (inexpensive piece to help with Illinois inspection)
    - Set of Weather Pack connectors
    - Seat belt trim plates

Breeze Automotive
    - Front battery mount
    - Seat bases
    - Radiator fan shroud
    - Hinged radiator mounting kit
    - Lower radiator support kit
    - Power steering rack offsets

Tangent Technologies:
    - Hidden roll bar fasteners for 2" roll bar

Russ Thompson
    - Turn signal system
    - Drop trunk kit

Last but not least...

Mike Forte Performance Parts:
    - Coyote Engine
    - TKO600 Transmission
    - Hydraulic Clutch
    - Installation package (all the stuff not provided in the FFR Coyote install package)
    - Cobra seat heaters
    - Triple CNC Reservoirs (FYI...if you want a set of these better order soon Mike mentioned it is a family business and they are likely closing this Spring)
    I see you have the FF5 Vinyl dash and you ordered the Russ Thompson turn signal grommet from Replica Parts. Mike told me that the grommet he sells for the Russ Thompson turn signel will NOT work with the Vinyl dash, FYI. Not sure if Replica Parts modified the part or not since I checked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi bluse - Good eyes on my original list. Maybe I should update it as I changed my mind on many items including the dash (engine, etc...). I ended up ordering a blank dash so I could design my own layout.
    Last edited by Cruzzz; 03-10-2019 at 08:33 PM.
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Update for the last two weeks...

I feel like I'm surrounded by unfinished projects (5 to be exact) due to pieces at the powder coater (pedal box brackets), missing bolts/nuts and defective shock (drivers side IRS), POL'd tie rods (front end), drop trunk kit accidentally mailed to the wrong address (finishing all the panels and powder coating), steering shaft (front of drivers footbox at PC)….but as we know there is always something else to do. : )

I sent off all the front panels and miscellaneous small parts for powder coating about seven days ago and got a call today they are ready for pick. The shop is conveniently only 5 miles away. I plan to pick them up Saturday morning and drop off most of the remaining panels including the cockpit and trunk.

Installed the differential by myself with few problems using a floor jack and towel on the frame to keep from scratching it.

Next got to work on the IRS. Overall this was pretty straight forward but I wasn't able to completely finalize this project due to a defective shock and a two missing bolts and nuts I noted during inventory and submitted to FFR. (Waiting patiently)

While previously working on the front end I left the brake calipers loose so I could research better pads and ended up ordering a set of Hawk HPS pads (will put HP+ on the rear). The consensus is that these are far superior to the supplied pads and combined with HP+ pads on the rear it should stop quickly.

Anyone know what are the correct HP+ pads for the rear when using the standard IRS brakes?

I also received most of the other items ordered from Forte's including the Tremec TKO600, Moroso oil pan, polished intake, fuel pump, and hydraulic clutch.

Mike also provided a loaner set of engine lift plates that will make the install much easier. Plan to try them out in a few days when I move the Coyote onto a rolling dolly.

Last edited by Cruzzz; 03-22-2019 at 09:55 AM.
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Update for the last two weeks...

Mike also provided a loaner set of engine lift plates that will make the install much easier. Plan to try them out in a few days when I move the Coyote onto a rolling dolly.
    Cruzzz-

I liked your update, but what stood out to me is the quote above. How awesome is it that one of the forum vendors helped out like this?

I already thought highly of Mike Forte; this just enhances my opinion; way to go Mike!!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed! Mike’s knowledge and customer service are top notch. He helped set me up with essentially all the miscellaneous parts needed to install my Coyote and TKO that weren’t included with the FFR Coyote install kit. Mike also did some machine work on the TKO to make sure it was a perfect fit in the MKIV frame.
    Last edited by Cruzzz; 03-22-2019 at 09:57 AM.
    Build Thread HERE

40. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Picked up everything I had previously sent off to the power coater which is probably 80% of the panels and all the odds and ends brackets etc. I had everything done in satin black to match the frame. I like black in the engine bay as it really allows all the chrome and other items to stand out against the black background. I need to finish making the inner trunk panels and cut the wiper, heater, and wiring holes in the firewall before sending the last small batch to the powder coater

Here are a few pictures of the F panels riveted in place and some others just Cleco’d. I plan to heed others advice and leave most everything loose until the very last for accessibility.

Originally I thought about painting the rivets to match but I really like the silver/aluminum against the black.

Forgot to take many pictures but I also started on the pedal box. Used Shark Hide on the brackets.

Completed a few other items I will post pictures of later this week including mounting the Breeze front battery box and mocking up the Russ Thompson drop trunk box. Both are nice kits and highly recommended.

This week is a big week for deliveries. Expecting the remaining POL items from FFR including the replacement shock and some missing items noted during the initial inventory. It will be nice to finally have all the parts on hand and wrap up some of the nearly finished projects.

I’m also looking forward to receiving my last box from Mike Forte with the hydraulic clutch kit then I can add the other master cylinder to the pedal box. I’ll also have everything needed to marry the transmission and engine along with peripherals.
    Last edited by Cruzzz; 03-31-2019 at 11:08 PM.
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good!!

One thing I saw that you'll need to check - it might just be the camera angle or something, but it looks like you've got the steer arms "wrong way up" / the big side of the tapered hole up.
    steerarm.jpg

They get bolted on the car on the wrong side from stamped. The "DS" on the passenger side, PS on the driver's side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fixit - The wider opening of the tapered whole is supposed to face down correct? I originally installed them with the wider opening facing up when I didn’t realize there was a difference and after seeing it called out on another thread pulled it all apart and switched sides and flipped them over.

Thanks for checking!
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Making some progress. As mentioned before I installed the front battery mount from Breeze. Had it powder coated to match the frame like the panels. Great product.

I had all the small parts powder coated but they are laying on shipping paper around my work area. Concerned they moght get stepped on or damaged, and that I want to say a project was complete, I went ahead and assembled the hood hinges. Lots of pieces but went together pretty easily. Pay attention to the direction of the bushings when inserting. It does matter. Can’t wait to mount the hood on these!

Last edited by Cruzzz; 04-08-2019 at 10:42 PM.
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    In the spirit of getting powder coated pieces off the floor I also assembled the e-brake handle and loosely mounted to the frame until I get the rear calipers that are on back order.

When looking at upgrades I ordered the Breeze Fan Shroud and upper/lower mounting kits. I started prep work for installing the kit over the weekend with painting the piano hinge and lower support brackets, mounting the fan to the shroud, and prepping the frame to receive the piano hinged.

Prepping the frame involves removing the two square tube pieces attached to the bottom side of the front square frame tube. I used a few cutting discs on my Dremel then coated the bare steel with flat black paint to match the frame.

I will mock up the remainder of the radiator install this week and probably remove and set aside until after the engine install.
    Last edited by Cruzzz; 04-08-2019 at 11:00 PM.
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Last update for tonight. I called FFR a couple weeks ago to check on POL items and they mentioned they were waiting on a few more items and would send everything out together. Sounded good as I've been patiently waiting for a few bolts and the replacement shock to wrap up the rear end among the other POL items. So FedEx freight calls and schedules the delivery last week while I am out of town. When I get back I see a giant ~4'x5' box was delivered and I fully expected it to be packed tight with my remaining items. This is what the inside looked like...

Gas tank, shock, two gas lines, odds/ends and.... a whole lot of empty space. I was disappointed there were no rear calipers but mostly dumbfounded by how much wasted shipping space there was since most shippers charge by size and weight. I'm a big fan of FFR but this can't be cost effective right?
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good. Just a hint on the hood hinges -- most of us ditch those wavy washers. You may have to sort through some 3/8-inch washers (I think that's the right size) to get the right thicknesses for each. Then tighten against the shoulder bolts loose enough to move OK but tight enough to remove wobble. You'll find the hinges and hood work a lot better that way.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

48. Thanks Cruzzz thanked for this post
    Likes Cruzzz liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast