Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Living the Dream - MKIV Coyote/IRS Build - Brake Lines, Gas Tank/Fuel Lines, Radiator

Post Thanks / Like
    You are making great progress and it's evident you are enjoying the build.

Jay
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzzz View Post
    Its been a busy last two weeks including ordering several items (aka spending money) from supporting vendors, drilling holes, painting and starting assembly.

I completed the front suspension including trimming down the UCA adjusting sleeves mentioned by Fixit and others. There is no way you would even be close to the initial alignment measurements given in the manual without doing this. Highly recommend completing this during assembly. I also attempted to use the provided upper ball joints (even with some removal of powder coating on the threads) to no avail. Ordered the Moog K772 ball joints recommended by Edwardb and the went in no problem. Funny part is on top of the ball join is stamped "Problem Solver".

Please let me know if you see anything out of place.

Also installed the power steering rack using the solid offsets sold by Mike Everson. Ordered the Moog ES2150R tied rod ends while I was at it following Edwardb's lead again.

In the midst of assembly went ahead and ordered the following. As mentioned before doing my part to help the economy.:

ReplicaParts.com (Mike Everson)
    - 2" roll bar studs (thanks for milling these for me Mike!)
    - Russ Thompson turn signal grommet
    - Front license plate bracket (inexpensive piece to help with Illinois inspection)
    - Set of Weather Pack connectors
    - Seat belt trim plates

Breeze Automotive
    - Front battery mount
    - Seat bases
    - Radiator fan shroud
    - Hinged radiator mounting kit
    - Lower radiator support kit
    - Power steering rack offsets

Tangent Technologies:
    - Hidden roll bar fasteners for 2" roll bar

Russ Thompson
    - Turn signal system
    - Drop trunk kit

Last but not least...

Mike Forte Performance Parts:
    - Coyote Engine
    - TKO600 Transmission
    - Hydraulic Clutch
    - Installation package (all the stuff not provided in the FFR Coyote install package)
    - Cobra seat heaters
    - Triple CNC Reservoirs (FYI...if you want a set of these better order soon Mike mentioned it is a family business and they are likely closing this Spring)
    You might want to go ahead and cut those rear upper control arm while you have the suspension hanging. With the power steering you'll need to cut them to get the 8 degrees of caster recommended. As others have indicated I took mine back to the flat spot on tube...about 3/8" off each end.

Steve
    Mk4 Roadster #9319, complete kit Received 4-10-18. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, w Holley 850 Double Pumper, manual Choke, 501 hp with 498 lb-ft torque. TKO 600 0.64 OD

3. Thanks Cruzzz thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    More progress the last two weeks with brake lines, radiator, gas tank and fuel lines.

I wasn’t happy with the look of the stock brake lines, took what I had done out and picked up some premade sections of Nicopp. I was able to do all the brake lines with 3 - 51”, 1 - 72”, and 1 - 40” sections. Thought it turned out great.

Last edited by Cruzzz; 04-21-2019 at 10:38 PM.
    MKIV #9542 Complete Kit, Coyote, IRS - Delivered - 2-19-19
    1965 Mustang Convertible 4v 289
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Brake lines continued...

Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Next worked on the fuel tank. My fuel system is a combination of items from FFR and Mike Forte. As much as I like the look of the Nicopp lines the ease of the quick connect fuel lines from Forte won out. Not to mention I don’t think anyone but me will probably ever see the under side of my car.

Last edited by Cruzzz; 04-21-2019 at 10:40 PM.
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like

Radiator Install

A few posts back I showed prepping the frame to use the Breeze upper radiator mount. I’m also using the Breeze fan shroud and lower radiator mount. Great combination that appears will provide just enough give versus the more rigid mount directly to the frame per the standard install.

Can you spot my supervisor in the pictures below?

Build Thread HERE

8. Likes Boydster, PeteMeindl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You must be doing a good job, supervisor looks relaxed.
    On my Coyote harness the fan feed ran down the upper right side of the frame, if you want to confirm and clock your fan. I have a 66 2+2, not nearly the level of yours, but a nice car. I got the roll bar drilled and fitted, thanks.

20131012_113502.jpg
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Railroad - Glad the roll bar worked out! I'm still going with dual roll bars but opted for the larger diameter used on the MKIII. Thanks for the heads up on the fan feed to wire harness. It will be coming back of when I install the engine so I'll flip it around then.
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Been a little while since my last update but moving along. Over the last couple weeks I finished up all the brake system including getting the rear calipers the were on back order mounted. With the rear calipers together I could get the e-brake installed leveraging the two pulley method of running the cables many others have done. I also used the Lokar clevis instead of the supplied parts. Hardest part was drilling the hole for the bolt the pulleys went on. Tight space to get a drill and bit into.

I had grand plans of starting on electrical this weekend but ran into a couple problems when I started setting up my Russ Thompson steering system. I had previously installed the Coyote gas pedal and the new FFR bracket that sets it up even with the other pedals. The most recent instructions tell you to do some trimming including trimming everything flush on the right side. The problems comes when you try to slide the steering shaft into place. It doesn’t clear the upper pedal mounting ear. After taking the assembly back out and trimming the pedal down to the exact shape of the new FFR mount everything had sufficient clearance.

After all of this was remedied I slide the up shaft back in and noticed the piece that should slide in was a very tight fit and the pillow block wouldn’t slide past the first 5-6” that has a slight taper. Not sure what to do with this. Should I call FFR to get a new shaft or larger pillow block?
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like

Clutch Safety Switch and Gas Tank Vent

While focusing around the drivers side foot box and preparing to start wiring I wanted to get the clutch safety switch done. I used the same method Fixit designed. This was pretty straight forward and made good use of the supplied laser cut brackets.

The gas tank was installed a while ago but I have been considering how I wanted to do the vent and decided to use the supplied brake reservoir that was otherwise going unused. Looks nice although no one will ever see it. Stuffed an aquarium carbon filter (30 gallons size I think) inside to help with any potential gas odors.

Last edited by Cruzzz; 05-13-2019 at 10:44 AM.
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good... (I'm glad my instructions were written well enough for someone else to translate into action).

The conflict with the steering shaft needs clarification... the "male" end won't slide into the female, or the female won't go into the pillow block?
    (In either case, make sure there are no boogers/nicks/dents on the shafts. it's a precise fit and the slightest flaw will hang up. Dress off any nicks with a few swipes of a fine file).
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster - #9365 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Update on the upper steering shaft and pillow block binding. Here is a picture of all the farther I could originally get it to slide on (it is removed from the bracket).

After ~15 min of sanding it slide on freely and it looks like we are a go to get the Russ Thompson steering system installed tomorrow!

Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster - #9365 Build Thread

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12