FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lower Control Arm

Post Thanks / Like

Lower Control Arm

Question regarding installing lower control arm Mk4.
    As per manual, page 34, it says the lower control arms are using the outer set of holes on the chassis.
    There are a set of holes on the inside also. What is the reason for using the outer holes?
    Is it possible to use the inner holes, and if, will I run into any kind of problems?
    Last edited by hugo-k; 12-18-2018 at 01:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Inner holes are intended for use with post-Fox Mustang Donor control arms. That said, the tubular Fox width lowers can be moved to the inboard position but a some factors come into play depending upon what the rest of the front suspension is made up of as far as spindles and UCA mounting position. Mark Reynolds With Breeze automotive did a bunch of research and experimenting with different combinations and determined that implementing the inner mounting holes with Fox width tubular lower arms needed to use the SAI mod spindle adapter and an alternative UCA mount position to get bump steer to a reasonable level. I guess the question for you is what would you be trying to accomplish by using the inner set of holes?

Jeff

3. Thanks hugo-k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff!

The reason I ask is that where I live, I have problems with the authority, as the wheels are too far out of the front fenders.
    So, I am looking into if I can move the lower control arm into the inner holes in the chassis, to get the front wheels covered by the fenders.

A stock -05 Mustang wheel, with 45 mm ET is perfect for this job, but I can not find this 8 inch wheel in the Halibrand style anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    What spindles, wheels & tires are you using?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    The wheels are FFR Halibrand replicas, 9x17 front. Tires, Toyo 245/35-17. Spindles are, if I remember right, Mustang. The kit is from 2017, all parts new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hugo-k View Post
    The wheels are FFR Halibrand replicas, 9x17 front. Tires, Toyo 245/35-17. Spindles are, if I remember right, Mustang. The kit is from 2017, all parts new.
    Different year Mustang spindles set the wheel and tire out further than others. Specifically what year are they? If you're not sure post a photo or 2 so we can identify them. With the FFR wheels and proper spindles there should not be an issue with getting 245/45-17 tires under the body.

Jeff

8. Thanks hugo-k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff, I will take some pics tomorrow. Thank you for helping me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are two pics of the hub.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like the FFR spindles to me. Do you have a current pic showing the problem?
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

12. Thanks hugo-k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Indeed those are the Factory Five spindles as Craig said. There are thousands of roadsters using the same spindle/wheel/tire combination with the tires tucked nicely under the front fenders so if yours are sticking out I'm not sure what your problem is. Can you give us some more photos? Also what is your camber set to?

Jeff

14. Thanks hugo-k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pics of both sides, wheels centered. The wheels a stocking outside fender, on top of fender, 3/4 inch. Camber is left side 0,31, right side 0,28
    Last edited by hugo-k; 12-18-2018 at 07:38 AM. Reason: More pics

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like the camber is "positive" (out at the top) and should be "negative" (in at the top). The spec is -.5 to -.75 I would suggest starting there and see where you end up. I think it will take care of your problem.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

17. Thanks hugo-k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Although it may only be because of the photo angles but I agree with Bill that it does look like positive rather than negative camber. I also like to see .5 to .75 negative for a street car. Ride height appears a bit high too but that's not going to have much effect on wheel placement once camber is set.

Totally unrelated to the topic but what's the story with the unusual parking/turn indicator lamps? Are you outside the US?

Jeff

19. Thanks hugo-k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is why we make 8 inch front wheels for this reason. All of the 9 inch from FFR are at the outer limit of the set up. The difference is a 245 vs 255 tires. Less than 0.5 inches of rubber. A lot better fit and less beating up the front of the rear fender. JMHO. Richard.
    Richard Oben FFR builder www.northracecars.com

Need help finishing your project we can help here or at your shop.

FFR GTM #34 first GTM with working AC. 400 hp LS1 w/G50
    FFR coupe 3617CP 331 Stack EFI T-5 IRS Cobra brakes, AC/heat.
    Both cars by NRC, we can build (and have built) any FFR product.
    We also make and sell a ton of great parts for the FFR community.
    Brake kits, AC systems, #1 supplier of Team III wheels.

21. Thanks hugo-k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff!
    The unusual turn indicators you are mention, is a requirement in Europe! I am living, and building my car in Norway.
    Thanks for helping me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I agree the wheels stick out of the fenders too far on the roadster.
    On the Mk4 it is an even bigger issue due to the shape of the wheelwell being especially close to the tire.
    Here is the Breeze Youtube video discussing mounting the standard length FFR lower control arm in the inboard mounting hole.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNy7XHjtu4w
    To maintain the upper arm length you would also mount the upper arm on the inside of the upper control arm mounting plate.
    I used 1994 - 1995 Mustang spindles with the SAI modification from Whitby. I believe the geometry of this combo is very close to the geometry of your FFR spindle. Also if you got the FFR rack with your complete kit you would need to remove the inner tie rod ends, remove the rack extenders and reinstall the inner tie rod ends on the rack.
    It's absolutely worth it for looks and performane - no bumpsteer.
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Both your quoted camber number and the pictures seem to indicate that you have positive camber. So checking that and fixing if needed is step #1. OTOH, have you driven the car yet? I think you might be OK even as it is. The MkIV body is tight on the front tires but can be helped. That inward turning flange at the edge of the flaired fender needs to go. Some people will leave just a little of it so the outer most edge is maybe double the thickness of the rest of it. This is just a 1/16 inch extra right at the edge. It is obvious to check for clearance at the top center of the flare/tire but also turn the steering a little and check how close the tire comes to the front of the fender right at the vertical center of the tire.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Craig!
    Yes, have been testing it, it drives well, turns well also. I have already shaved the inward turning flange.
    But as you say, I need to get the right camber, for sure! Can a different hub help me? Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't 'think' there is a different hub available. I don't figure you will need it but don't be afraid of a little extra negative camber. I run a lot of autocrosses so I run -3.2 camber in the front. Yeah, it wears the front street tires out faster on the inside but it's no big deal. We don't put 15k miles on these cars in a year so even wearing the inside out still gives me at least 3 years life.

27. Thanks hugo-k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hugo, not sure if ya missed this post but Richard said they make these in 8"

http://www.northracecars.com/wheelofferings.html

Higgy
    New MK4 kit ordered, promised date 04/13/24
    MK4 #10616 picked up 4/10/23!!!
    302w, 4 link, 17's, dual roll bar SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars SOLD

Post Thanks / Like
    Higgy.....nice name!
    I am already in touch with him. Have you seen his wheels on cars?
    Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    No I haven't but they look great in the pics!! And he's a supporting vendor
    Higgy
    New MK4 kit ordered, promised date 04/13/24
    MK4 #10616 picked up 4/10/23!!!
    302w, 4 link, 17's, dual roll bar SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars SOLD