Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cup Holder Question: Is there room?

Post Thanks / Like

Cup Holder Question: Is there room?

I've got an old Mark 1.5 - a transitional model with the dropped driver foot box but no transmission tunnel bracing - and I'm currently in the middle of some winter mods and have a question regarding cup holders.

I'd like to add a couple of cup holders toward the front of the transmission tunnel; however, I'm concerned about available space between the aluminum mounting surface and the top of the transmission.

The reason that I'm asking is because I climbed under my car yesterday and attempted to measure how much space there is between the top of the trans tunnel and the transmission itself (it's a T-5). It looks to me that the available space is something less than 3".

Hence my question: Is there enough room to install cup holders?

Worst case is I order a couple of 3" to 4" deep cup holders and see if they'll fit. (Try to see if they'll fit under the aluminum - between the underside of the trans tunnel and the top of the transmission - before I start actually cutting holes in the tunnel itself.)

Any of you guys have experience adding cup holders to an older model like mine with a T-5?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was at the same quandry on my car until Keysergogo posted about the magnetic cup idea. No intrusion below the trans cover, and it works great.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same Mk1.5. I fitted collapsible cup holders on the doors from EnglishParts.com. They work well. With a T5 with S10 tailhousimg, Viper shifter and a Lokar parking brake on the tunnel and a 2:1 brake cable lever mounted under the tunnel cover I had no space left

https://www.englishparts.com/product...458/P1057.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Another option is to put them back further towards the rear of the tunnel. Much more room there.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    I had mine installed towards the back. Mainly because it seemed my hand would hit anything that was in the holders shifting into 1st 3rd 5th. I’ve since changed them to black. Ignore the mess in the car... B69F735F-5A6B-475B-B5A5-8CF58BCFD833.jpeg
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    The trick is to get the right depth cup holders. On my MKIV, I ordered three pair before I found these (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). They were the only cup holders I could find that were large enough for my phone case to fit in AND shallow enough to fit at the front of my transmission tunnel. I located them 6” from the forward cockpit wall and 3” to either side of the center line of the transmission tunnel cover. More information is in Post #352 of my build log (https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...ter-build.html).

John

IMG_4002 by jhsitton, on Flickr

IMG_4752 by jhsitton, on Flickr
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

7. Thanks Jim Doak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I too used the Cup Holder Idea taken from Keysergogo:

I have a T-5 also, and used the steel bar / magnet combo. Been using it for 6 months now and it works good. I put 2 rivets in the center of the 6" bar so that I know there is 3" of bar on each side that I can use for the cupholder. DS and PS cupholders sit side by side with enough room. I found that I can't put tall drinks in them because when I accelerate the higher level fluid is enough to push it off the magnet. But regular cans / water bottles work. Most often, I just use the cup itself to hold the coffee. They're wide enough of a diameter to hold a different cup in place, or use the lid for a beverage. Album of photos

20180509_223816 by D. R., on Flickr
    Last edited by DadofThree; 12-18-2018 at 08:32 AM.
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a MKIV, so have the bracing to deal with. You should have room to do what Phileas shows. You can't to deep jumbo double super extra sized big gulp cup holders.

You actually don't want them too big. You can accelerate or turn fast, and dump your drink. Or worse, get a drink bottle under the pedals. Figure out what size cup, bottle or can you typically use and get cup holders that fit as close as possible.

What worked for me was "poker table cup holders" that I found on ebay. They look like what Phileas and jhsitton show.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used folding cup holders that you’d see on a boat and installed them on the tunnel near the floor. No holes other than screws. And I like the tunnel top uncluttered.
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!