Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: IRS brake clearance in 17x10.5 wheels

Post Thanks / Like

IRS brake clearance in 17x10.5 wheels

I have the old studs removed from the IRS hubs and its time to put the new ones in. I am running the stock FFR brakes (not Wilwoods) with the 17"x 10.5" Halibrand wheels. In the past some people have found clearance issues with the calipers rubbing on the inside the wheel. Suggested fix was to use slightly longer (I think 1/4" longer) studs with a hub-centric spacer to get some extra clearance. I have pretty recent kit (#9410) so I am wondering if FFR has addressed this problem. Has anyone recently assembled this combination and either found there were no problems or there were still clearance issues? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you got the brake caliper kit from FFR they supply a bracket that offsets the caliper for clearance. I used the stock brake calipers in the stock position. I bought a rear end drop out from a wrecked Mustang. In my case I had to grind down the tabs on top of the caliper to get clearance with them mounted in the stop position. The wheel spacer will not give you enough room plus depending where you weights are located they may rub them and knock them off.
    That happened to me.
    Of course if you get a 1" spacer that might help, but not a solution that I wanted. I called FFR and they wouldn't give me the bracketry that comes with there kit. You could try and ask them they might give them to you or sell it to you.
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build