Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Realistic budget?

Post Thanks / Like

Realistic budget?

Been lurking here for years, and right on the edge of making the leap. Plan would be Coyote/TKO/IRS. Nothing else too fancy other that powder coated panels and a few typical upgrade items. Kit options and engine, trans & rear come out to mid forties. Can the panels be coated, and the incidentals be covered for $5k less the bodywork? Is that realistic, or am I way off?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Not knowing your tool needs I think you will well covered if you don’t get too crazy. If you have any left over we will help you spend it. And welcome to the madness.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Best budget advice is to log off and never come back. hahaha
    The more time you spend here the more brilliant must haves you will see and we will all encourage you to spend it! ha

Seriously though you mention mid forties and another 5k. Are you saying you budget for a Coyote build is 50k? What is your paint and body plan? If you are doing it yourself close to 50 seems pretty reasonable. If you are paying to have it done I think that could be a challenge.
    Just spit balling here but here are a few things that I didn't really consider much going it. As previously mentioned what are your tool needs? That can add up on you. D0 you plan on a Dyno or aftermarket tune for the Coyote? Depending if you buy a handheld tuner also that can add another 1k. Any costs associated with licensing inspections or trailering the car to said inspection? Tire cost?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

4. Likes cgundermann, SSNK4US liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You got wheels and tires in that "mid forties"? If not factor in that a set of 17s will eat over $2K of that $5,000 and a set of 18s will run over 3,000. It will be doable with what remains but other incidentals such as a battery, fluids, cockpit insulation, etc. will nickle and dime away at it. Have you budgeted in shipping? Stewart will start at about $1,200 for a complete kit and go up depending on how far west &/or south you are from Wareham. Plan on $6,500 and up for body & paint.

Keep us posted and good luck!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Doable but I think you will definitely be mid-forties and maybe closer to $50k if you’re having pro do bodywork and paint. It just seems that even if you plan a $40k budget, it’s easy to beyond that quickly. So again mid-forties is definitely a good budget, just try not to get influenced too much with “I need this mod”.
    Last edited by KDubU; 12-19-2018 at 08:43 AM.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    A couple thoughts on budget.

Make sure you take into account engine accessories, brackets, etc. They can add up.

Scope out where you are getting bodywork / paint done unless you are doing it yourself. I know 3 guys that went over 10K and aren't that happy with the work. If you can get to one of our resident Jeff's, you are ahead of the game.

Tools. You don't need the Snap-On Master Mechanic set and a CNC 6 axis mill. An average set of hand tools and a drill will get you 99% of the way. Parts stores have a lot of free loaners these days for things like a torque wrench that goes to 250 Ft-lbs - only needed for the front hubs. I generally hate cheap tools, but Harbor Freight torque wrenches are as accurate as all but the top of the line stuff.

I can't count how many times I needed nuts, bolts, washers, clips, zip ties, a tap, or holesaw that I didn't have. I'll bet that easily was $500. I did a few custom things, but nothing crazy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends. I have followed these "how much does it cost" threads off and on both before and after I started my project. It seems to me you have to start by asking some important questions. What is the final product you want? How much work can you or are you willing to do yourself? Compete kit or base kit? In my humble opinion, the mid-forties is about the minimum realistically and would get you a solid car as the FFR "bones" are very good. I will say, not with any level of pride, it is easy to spend almost double that when you consider various upgrades, tools, additional bits and pieces and things like sound and heat proofing, etc. I have only a general sense of how much I have spent on this project but given the complete kit for my 289 FIA was about $22K, delivery was $12K, engine and transmission was about $10K (Coyote will be more), all things related to complete and finished bodywork and paint (I did none of this myself) is $9K....that puts me at $53K before any other of the details like wheels and tires (at least $3K), a leather hide, upgraded carpet, additions from FFR to the complete kit, and a multitude of other things that do nickel and dime. I'm not trying to be negative and I do think you can beg, borrow and steal to keep the cost down, but I am just trying to be realistic here. People in the Forum have much more experience than I do and I would trust their opinions. If they say you can do it for about $50k, you can!

Post Thanks / Like
    Delivery was $12k? Hopefully that is a typo.
    Mark IV 7923 arrived 11-14-12
    DOHC 4.6L, Tremec 3650, 3 Link 8.8 w/3.73

Post Thanks / Like
    I recommend approaching your build with the knowledge that you don't have a deadline and can phase your build (and budget) out over time. I think it is far more important that you keep your vision in the forefront once you commit to doing one of these. If you spend $45k and don't end up with what you want, you'll regret it. I budgeted my build in three phases:

1 - Kit purchase with rear end, wheels/tires, and delivery costs
    2 - Engine and transmission
    3 - Paint and body

I also assumed a 10% margin to account for incidentals. I busted that in the end, but that included a premium soft top and some other spendy upgrades along the way. For $45,000 you should be able to have a nicely built car that includes the complete kit, engine, transmission, rear-end, wheels, and tires. A lot of guys drive in gelcoat for years before doing body and paint. My body and paint choices will also include shipping my car round trip from Colorado to Indiana, which is about $3,600 by itself. However, I think it's worth it to get someone who has done over 100 of these cars vs. saving some money and using a local painter that hasn't done one. Again, it comes down to what my vision for the car is. One significant area that I tried to save some money on and wish I hadn't is on the aluminum panel finish. If I could do it over again, I'd have powder coated the aluminum without a second thought. That cost varies widely depending on where you live and PC shops in your area. For me that would have added $1500'ish to my budget. This would need to be part of the phase 1 budget in my plan, which is the hardest phase on the wallet. In hind sight, I could have waited a few more months before ordering the engine and transmission, thereby delaying the next big $$$ expense.

I know, a bit long winded, but I hope this helps put some of this into perspective for you.

Dave
    Last edited by Papa; 12-19-2018 at 07:45 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't have to purchase any tools (had engine lift, etc) except alignment tool (less than the cost of alignment if you're comfortable doing it yourself). I purchased the complete kit, power steering, both chrome roll bars, heater, wipers, Kirky high back seats, all bumpers, front sway bar and coyote 4-4 headers. Add the Coyote engine, TKO600, steel bell housing, clutch and solid rear end (15k at the time I built). That put me at 41k. I used Ford power brakes. After doing the bodywork and paint myself, I ended with a grand total of approx 47.5k

I purchased my kit Dec 2017. That was when FFR was offering a special... Free Halibrand wheels, DS Chrome roll bar, sun visors and Wind Wings

NOTE: I have access to a machine shop and made lots of the extras myself. Such as: Coyote install kit, battery box, and drop trunk, amount other thinks.
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 12-19-2018 at 12:04 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Thing you need to watch are the dates of the estimates. Expect the Coyote/Trans package is now $5K more then I paid. Mine is now insured for $57K agreed value originally was in the mid $40's
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry guys, $1200 for transport via Stewart not $12K. My error. Was, by the way, MA to CA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by japollon View Post
    Sorry guys, $1200 for transport via Stewart not $12K. My error. Was, by the way, MA to CA.
    Is that recent quote? Because to Colorado is a more than that. I'm in the process now with delivery soon.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    We got our kit 7/31/18 in central Calif and it was $1,700 from Stewart.

And don’t forget the tip

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    The more time you spend here the more brilliant must haves you will see and we will all encourage you to spend it! ha
    This seems to be exactly the problem.

The tools I have covered, including access to a machine shop (and talented people). Looks like, with a $50K budget, this could be happening....

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I just crossed the 40-K mark, but I've changed a lot of things that put me in the Nickel & Dime Camp.
    I'm estimating another 2-K in body and paint supplies since my pal is painting it for free.
    His work is better than most if not all of the body shops within 30 miles of my home.
    I'm expecting to be at or about 45-K when completed, taxed and titled.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have similar wants and question. Below is what my estimated cost is:

Factory Five about $32,000 not including; Discount, taxes or shipping

Complete Kit, powder coated ,IRS, headers, cut outs, Leather seats, Power Steering, Wind wings, sun visors, wipers, heater, Roll bars(2), Roll bar grommets, Louvers, Center dash support, Leather steering wheel, Coyote install kit, IRS brakes, IRS Center section, spindles & hubs, 17" wheels.

Misc Venders and incidentals about $31,000
    Coyote Engine & trans $12,000, Tires $2,000, paint (Da bat)$10,000 ?, tools $700, CA DMV $1,000 ?, Misc $2,000, Transportation $1,700 Taxes $2,500
    From others numbers looks like I might be a little high.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bobm488 View Post
    I have similar wants and question. Below is what my estimated cost is:

Factory Five about $32,000 not including; Discount, taxes or shipping

Complete Kit, powder coated ,IRS, headers, cut outs, Leather seats, Power Steering, Wind wings, sun visors, wipers, heater, Roll bars(2), Roll bar grommets, Louvers, Center dash support, Leather steering wheel, Coyote install kit, IRS brakes, IRS Center section, spindles & hubs, 17" wheels.

Misc Venders and incidentals about $31,000
    Coyote Engine & trans $12,000, Tires $2,000, paint (Da bat)$10,000 ?, tools $700, CA DMV $1,000 ?, Misc $2,000, Transportation $1,700 Taxes $2,500
    From others numbers looks like I might be a little high.
    Your $2,000 Misc. line item may be low depending on your overall plan. My Misc. items are over $10K and that doesn't account for the ~$1K in fasteners and other odds & ends that I've not kept track of. It adds up surprisingly fast!

Disclaimer: Note that any of the items/prices listed are what I paid when I purchased them and may not be available at the price shown.
    Last edited by Papa; 12-19-2018 at 02:35 PM.

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Transport for my car was May 2017. The number I mentioned was from memory. I went back and checked. The correct number is in fact $1700 MA to northern CA. So sorry I can't seem to get this number right. Geeze!!!is

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by japollon View Post
    Transport for my car was May 2017. The number I mentioned was from memory. I went back and checked. The correct number is in fact $1700 MA to northern CA. So sorry I can't seem to get this number right. Geeze!!!is
    Okay, I'm off the ledge. For now.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't really shared my numbers before, so it's a little nerve racking and uncomfortable. But I also did a spreadsheet of my build, and I have a staggering 900 line items on it. Mine is a Basic Kit that I purchased at what I considered, a highly discounted price from someone who never started the build. It included powdercoated frame, cut outs, wind wings, 3 link suspension, 17" halibrands, lower front a arms. It also included a bunch of donor parts that he had collected: '95 5.0 302 engine, (2) T-5 Transmissions, (2) drive shafts, 8.8 rear end, PS, brake calipers/rotors, spindles, gas tank, pedal box, bell housing, fuel line, clecos w/ tool, engine stand, engine hoist, body buck.

To be able to see what it would truly cost to do a build (in case I wanted to do it again), I made a spreadsheet that includes all of my purchases which show "price I paid", "regular price" and the "difference/savings" for not paying retail price. Of course as the build went on, i paid a lot of retail prices. But I did a lot of purchases from people on the forum too, and tried to save when I could.

According to my spreadsheet, If I would have paid everything at retail price for my car (somewhat heavily optioned), I'd be at $48.6k so far. I haven't painted it yet, and I rebuilt a donor 302 drive train. But because I can't afford that much money in a build, I didn't pay retail for everything, and I have actually spent $34.7k out of pocket. And finally with savings, returns, and selling a few items included in the calcs; I'm even lower at $25.5k all in where I currently sit with my build. This includes tools, sales tax, shipping, state tax, registration and anything that was associated with the build.

I'd say $40k will be tough, especially purchasing new complete kit with a coyote consideration and someone else doing your body work/paint. Check the classifieds often. This EBAY listing just came up. And with this kind of discount applied to the overall total, it can be done.
    Last edited by DadofThree; 12-19-2018 at 03:51 PM.
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Seriously, though, if your budget is under pressure, listen to Scott. It's too late for us, but maybe you can save yourself.
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

24. Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you where up in Canada I would advise you to add 30% minimum to your total! Between the exchange rate and shipping its nuts, BUT totally worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great info in this thread!
    Not to hijack this thread... but....
    Say the average build referred to in this thread is 50k, what would that car sell for?
    Just a ballpark idea of how "ahead" you'd be, money wise, for the time you spent building a 50k roadster.
    Thanks!
    I'm a looooooooooooooooong time lurker and have been planning a build for many years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Heepspo View Post
    Great info in this thread!
    Not to hijack this thread... but....
    Say the average build referred to in this thread is 50k, what would that car sell for?
    Just a ballpark idea of how "ahead" you'd be, money wise, for the time you spent building a 50k roadster.
    Thanks!
    I'm a looooooooooooooooong time lurker and have been planning a build for many years.
    Prices for pre-owned FF Roadsters are all over the place. It's really more about the quality of the build than the money spent on parts and hours to build one. Personally, I applaud the guys that are making money building these and selling them for a profit. I actually started out with the intention of just buying one that was already built, but after looking at several (on-line, not in person), I was concerned about the quality and decided that if I built it, at least I would know what I was driving.

Dave

Update: I just did a quick check on eBay and found 19 finished FF Roadsters at an average asking price of $45,200. The lowest price was $29,900 and the highest was $69,000.
    Last edited by Papa; 12-19-2018 at 06:32 PM.

28. Thanks Heepspo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wish I had this before starting. It might have helped me a little. My vision was and still is to build a version on my own cobra. I never plan to sell this so wanted to make sure it was something I would be happy with for awhile. I bought the base kit with several upgrades including power coat, IRS, power steering, Kirkey High Backs (would not purchase if doing it again), Halibrand wheels, Stainless side exhaust, Wilwood brake kit and a few other things to bring the total to $18k. Got my 351 Ford Racing Z-head and TKO 600 tranny assembled with power steering and mechanical fuel pump clutch etc from Mike Forte for $17k. That got me to Just under $36,000. Then added on all the goodies and parts to upgrade this and that and the other thing and all the great ideas I read on here and I've added on another $16K to that. I still figure I'm going to invest at least another $12,000 before I'm all done to bring me to my estimated total of around $65,000. I'm probably on the high side compared to some others, and some mistakes have cost me, but I've tried to keep track of everything I've been spending on. Now in the end, its the best money I've ever spent! If I had to watch my budget I don't think I would have been happy or get what I wanted in the end. But thats also the beauty of these, you can get whatever you want in the end. Its all up to you! I don't give a crap about resale because this baby is going nowhere. If I was building to sell, I would have done things a bit differently and probably could have recouped my expenses but never my labor. The way I'm looking at it, is I'm paying maybe $20k more than if I did a straight build but given its going to take me about 2 1/2 years of build time, and numerous years of enjoyment, that price is miniscule at a per hour rate for the pure enjoyment I'm having. Again, best money I've ever spent!
    MKIV Base Kit, delivered 11/6/17. Build Thread Link: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...d-Base-Kit-427
    Carburated 427z, TKO-600 (.82), Torsen Diff (3.73), IRS, PS, Heat, 17” Halibrands
    First Start: 10/18/18

Post Thanks / Like
    If you keep away from a lot of the extras and utilize all the kit parts and not change them out for upgrades I would think $50k with a coyote and tko 600 is very doable. As other stated it’s all the upgrades that add up. I have just over $80k in mine but I also did alot of upgrades and went more high end in the drive train. But at the end of the day I wouldn’t have done it any other way and I love the car. One thing to remember is a lot of people forget the paint part of the build or over look it and get shocked when they get to that point. Paint is usually one of the most expensive parts besides the kit. Typically paint runs $10k-$15k so make sure you account for it if you want a good pro to do the work. And if you farm this out have some one that has done these do the work or by the time your done you may be over your budget. The guys that know these cars should give you a very accurate quote.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    My suggestion: Plan you budget out, then add 20% to it. A lot of the little items add up. The good news is that you have plenty of time to purchase them as you complete your build. Personally, I feel that $50K is probably the lowest you can get away with on a Coyote build, assuming zero options/upgrades are selected and you find a very reduced price painter. On my Coyote build, I was $50,269.13 into it before I had received anything. That was for motor/trans kit from Mike and my FFR invoice. I kept exact costs of everything during my build, even to the end. That include all incidentals, materials, tools, etc. There's a ton of little items on the list, like safety wire, sandpaper purchases, car cover, paint film & ceramic coating, tune, corner balance and alignment, crazy Mass registration challenges, etc. I checked nearly all the option boxes on mine, and did a lot of custom work (under car exhaust, T56, IRS w/15" wheels, designed custom brake kit with Gordon, etc) so I'm probably a lot higher than most. Having done all the paint/bodywork myself I'm all in at $69,715.76.

Post Thanks / Like
    Miscellaneous items add up as well as the never ending birth of good ideas and must-haves discovered on the Forum. When done, my base kit totaled 60K - including Stewart and transportation back and forth to the Bat Cave. Admittedly, I spared no expense, but all the little things add up (parts and tools you can’t live without). Without a doubt, you could build a quality Cobra for less.

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bgeddes View Post
    This seems to be exactly the problem.

The tools I have covered, including access to a machine shop (and talented people). Looks like, with a $50K budget, this could be happening....
    I did mine in that ballpark (but I did not do IRS). You can definitely make it happen for that but you will be your own worst enemy for going over budget.
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Once on the road this coming spring I should be at $55-$60K Canadian without paint. This is basically an all new parts type build with a custom locally built 408W. Paint up here looks like 10-15k for a basic job so I will be doing that myself as I am sucker for punishment and actually it looks interesting to me. I too never plan to sell this car and will be willing it to my kid so the cost/resale thing was never an issue. I had started with the intention of just getting it on the road and then doing upgrades over the next few years but this forum and the other one ended that dream and spent all my money for me ! I ended up buying a lot of kits and parts from the great vendors here and don't regret it one bit. I know this car will be solid and quality. You build as you see fit and don't take any crap from anyone (but the wife!).

Post Thanks / Like
    Do I include the cost of the garage we built to have a place to build the FFR?
    Mk4, IRS, (Forte: 427 with EFI, T-56 MAG, hydraulic clutch, mechanical linkage, reverse lockout control module) (Breeze: Front and Rear Double adjustable QA1's, Cockpit cubby, LED Lights, Fan Shroud, Fan Lower Support, Oil Cooler Coil, power steering hose kit) (Russ: Drop Trunk, Turn Signal)

36. Likes phileas_fogg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't tell my wife but part of why I agreed to our new house so quick was the garage with 12 foot ceilings so I suppose I need to include some % of the house when I start totaling my build costs. it goes with out saying the lift will have to be included as well

Chris AKA Gromit

38. Likes GTBradley liked this post