FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  39
Likes Likes:  91
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VAHokie's Roadster Build Thread - Body Fitment Questions

Post Thanks / Like

VAHokie's Roadster Build Thread - Body Fitment Questions

I'm approx. two weeks out from delivery on my MKIV complete kit, so I figured it's time to set-up the build thread, master the art of posting pics, and start documenting all my questions and the forum's great insights. I'll spare everyone the intro and build details as I already documented it here and my signature has most of the pertinent stuff. But I will share a pic from the Build School back in October and the "nursery' pic that Sally @ FFR (who is great BTW!) sent last Thursday (12/13).

MKIV Complete Kit #9494 l Delivered 1/5/19 l First Start 11/28/20 l First Go-kart 4/11/21 l Carb'd 347 l Mid-shift TKO600 l 3.55 IRS l P/S l Forte Mechanical Throttle Linkage l RT Turn Signal, Drop Trunk l Breeze Upper/Lower Radiator Support, Fan Shroud l Boig Upper/Lower Cool Tubes & Quiet Pipes l 18" FFR Gasser Wheels l Build Thread

2. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the club. First advice I was given I'll pass on to you. Inventory is really important. Check off everything and that will help you to find it when you need it. Enjoy the journey.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like we will have similar builds although you will have a 6-8 week head start. I should take delivery mid-February. Congratulations and look forward to reading about your build! Will be documenting my build here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Welcome to the club. First advice I was given I'll pass on to you. Inventory is really important. Check off everything and that will help you to find it when you need it. Enjoy the journey.
    Thanks for the advice, John. I intend to do a thorough inventory before getting started.
    MKIV Complete Kit #9494 l Delivered 1/5/19 l First Start 11/28/20 l First Go-kart 4/11/21 l Carb'd 347 l Mid-shift TKO600 l 3.55 IRS l P/S l Forte Mechanical Throttle Linkage l RT Turn Signal, Drop Trunk l Breeze Upper/Lower Radiator Support, Fan Shroud l Boig Upper/Lower Cool Tubes & Quiet Pipes l 18" FFR Gasser Wheels l Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzzz View Post
    Looks like we will have similar builds although you will have a 6-8 week head start. I should take delivery mid-February. Congratulations and look forward to reading about your build! Will be documenting my build here.
    Good to know, I'll be sure to follow your build since we'll be on similar tracks. Don't hesitate to reach out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! I just ordered my kit too. Completion date 2/2/19. I'll be following along your thread. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MechanicalKnowledgeNone View Post
    Congrats! I just ordered my kit too. Completion date 2/2/19. I'll be following along your thread. Good luck.
    My completion date is also 2/2! Will you be doing a build thread?

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Tony! Here comes the fun. I'm happy for you.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzzz View Post
    My completion date is also 2/2! Will you be doing a build thread?
    Yes, I'll be making a Build Thread. I'm going to wait until I get closer to delivery before I start it up. I'll be on this forum A LOT. Hopefully we can make it through with everyone's help!

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing with inventory that may help...
    There's nut & bolt packs all over the place, in every box, loose with a number on them. During the inventory put the hardware kits in the box of a larger part they go with. I also Sharpie'd the "orphan" hardware bags with the original box number, and combined them in their own box... so now when I move along and there aren't any bolts, I look at my list and find the part # & box number, then go to my new "bolt box" and find the pack.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Rocco!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    One thing with inventory that may help...
    There's nut & bolt packs all over the place, in every box, loose with a number on them. During the inventory put the hardware kits in the box of a larger part they go with. I also Sharpie'd the "orphan" hardware bags with the original box number, and combined them in their own box... so now when I move along and there aren't any bolts, I look at my list and find the part # & box number, then go to my new "bolt box" and find the pack.
    Great advice - I'll definitely be borrowing that approach.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there. I did not want to steal Yamabro's thread so I'm over here on yours... LOL.... Seriously, on the dolly, I used the same plan that you have except I raised it up by adding a 4 x 6 along with the 4x4.... I used gorilla wood glue and some 7" lag bolts to attach the 4x4 and 4x6 ; It brought the bottom of my chassis up to 21" with the wheels that I got. HERE is my link to my build of the dolly.... I LOVED it as it was very easy to get under and it was up high enough to work without bending over too much. I found it to be extremely sturdy as well. And it rolled around the garage like a dream... Hope this helps. I had some left over red floor epoxy that I coated it with as well... just a nice touch. Hope this helps.
    IMG_1213.jpg IMG_1248.jpg

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    Hey there. I did not want to steal Yamabro's thread so I'm over here on yours... LOL.... Seriously, on the dolly, I used the same plan that you have except I raised it up by adding a 4 x 6 along with the 4x4.... I used gorilla wood glue and some 7" lag bolts to attach the 4x4 and 4x6 ; It brought the bottom of my chassis up to 21" with the wheels that I got. HERE is my link to my build of the dolly.... I LOVED it as it was very easy to get under and it was up high enough to work without bending over too much. I found it to be extremely sturdy as well. And it rolled around the garage like a dream... Hope this helps. I had some left over red floor epoxy that I coated it with as well... just a nice touch. Hope this helps.
    IMG_1213.jpg IMG_1248.jpg
    Thanks, Carl. Dumb question, safe to assume you counter sunk the 7" lag bolts that held the 4x4 and 4x6 pieces together?
    Last edited by VAHokie; 12-22-2018 at 02:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAHokie View Post
    Thanks, Carl. Dumb question, safe to assume you counter sunk the 7" lag bolts that held the 4x4 and 4x6 pieces together?
    Yup.. just used the appropriate size wood bit (Paddle style) Worked great.... That's also why I ended up with the 4x4 on top.... FYI, pre drill with 3/8" bit and use 7/16" Lag bolts... good catch....

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600

Post Thanks / Like
    Still waiting on delivery but Stewart confirmed it should some time over the weekend. Not to worry though, plenty to keep me busy over the holidays in preparing for its arrival, including building the body buck and chassis dolly. Big thanks to Scottiec for donating his body buck, phileas_fogg for the chassis dolly casters, and BadAsp427 for the chassis dolly enhancement recommendation and confirming some measurements for me. Like so many have commented before, the willingness and generosity of this community are amazing.

For the chassis dolly, I used these plans but added a 4x6 to increase the height and an additional cross brace for some added support. Hopefully the increased height will help spare my back a bit during the build - we'll see.

Here's the body buck and chassis dolly:

And here's an up close of the chassis dolly so you can see the modifications:
    Last edited by VAHokie; 01-02-2019 at 11:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

For the chassis dolly, I used these plans but added a 4x6 to increase the height and an additional cross brace for some added support. Hopefully the increased height will help spare my back a bit during the build - we'll see.

And here's an up close of the chassis dolly so you can see the modifications:
    Looks really nice... great job, it will be a back saver...
    Looks very familiar... Nice job... I will tell you that while I was working on my build, I found my self in the engine bay several times while the chassis was up on the dolly. I used the cross support to hold tools, rivets, perhaps a 12oz bev etc several times.... The extra cross brace you installed would have been in my way. And I really do not see where it would have helped me at all. You may find that you want to remove it and you should not have any problems if you do. That is of course if you tied the 4x4 and 4x6 together with a few lag bolts as we discussed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks really nice... great job, it will be a back saver...
    Looks very familiar... Nice job... I will tell you that while I was working on my build, I found my self in the engine bay several times while the chassis was up on the dolly. I used the cross support to hold tools, rivets, perhaps a 12oz bev etc several times.... The extra cross brace you installed would have been in my way. And I really do not see where it would have helped me at all. You may find that you want to remove it and you should not have any problems if you do. That is of course if you tied the 4x4 and 4x6 together with a few lag bolts as we discussed.
    The cross brace may just end up being for peace of mind but it is setup for easy removal in case I need too. The 4x's are tied together with 8" lag screws but something about adding another 5.5" in height to the design and only having that lap joint at the bottom didn't sit right with me visually. Again, probably overkill but I'll feel more comfortable moving around underneath it. With this build and all components of it, its safety first, reliability second and performance third.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tony,
    So the Stewart truck is loaded and rolls through NOVA tomorrow.
    Warren the driver says he'll be at my house between 12 and 1:00. I'm not sure if that is the first stop.
    You seem very well prepared. Build school too!
    I'll be hanging out on this thread a bunch, soaking up knowledge.
    And it begins!
    Cheers,
    Steve
    Base Kit Delivered January 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you're ready to rock and roll!
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

22. Likes VAHokie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuma737 View Post
    Hi Tony,
    So the Stewart truck is loaded and rolls through NOVA tomorrow.
    Warren the driver says he'll be at my house between 12 and 1:00. I'm not sure if that is the first stop.
    You seem very well prepared. Build school too!
    I'll be hanging out on this thread a bunch, soaking up knowledge.
    And it begins!
    Cheers,
    Steve
    Hey Steve - spoke to Warren (driver) and it looks like I'm stop 3 of 3 so it'll be between 4-6 pm for me if I had to guess, possibly Sunday morning if he times out. He said Leesburg was first on the list so you'll be in business early afternoon when he gets in the area. Congrats and look forward to meeting up soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Things are looking great! Nice going. Warren was our driver and he was fantastic - super patient and helpful. Tell him hello from the connecticut Meindls! As BadAsp said, i also wind up in the engine bay a lot and use the dolly's cross support to hold all sorts of things and have found it a good place to sit while working on some pedal installation issues.

Nice prep work and we're excited for the arrival!

25. Likes BadAsp427 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteMeindl View Post
    Things are looking great! Nice going. Warren was our driver and he was fantastic - super patient and helpful. Tell him hello from the connecticut Meindls! As BadAsp said, i also wind up in the engine bay a lot and use the dolly's cross support to hold all sorts of things and have found it a good place to sit while working on some pedal installation issues.

Nice prep work and we're excited for the arrival!
    Hi, Pete. I let Warren know you said hi - what a great guy! Now with the frame on the dolly, I definitely see what you and BadAsp are talking about re: the cross brace. With it being removable, I should be able to quickly swap it in and out as needed, or until I get tired of that extra step every time I'm in there

27. Likes PeteMeindl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    With that design of dolly (same as the one I had), just be careful when you are wheeling the dolly back into the garage once you have the car on it. If you have a lip on the front concrete pad of the garage and you slam the weight of the dolly into it, you can damage your dolly to where it can be unstable. Ask me how I know..
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

29. Thanks jrcuz thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, it's real now! After a seamless delivery process with Warren from Stewart, a number of local builders, my dad and son, the roadster is finally home. Big thanks to phileas_fogg, craigs, jrcuz and zuma737 for lending a helping hand and then sticking around for a celebratory toast and discussion about the build process. I look forward to benefiting from the great wealth of knowledge and experience from these great guys (and those of this forum) as I embark on this journey. Here are a few pics from the delivery.

Stewart truck parked for unloading:

Car ready to be unloaded (there was a hot rod, GTM, coyote/trans package, and more next in line for delivery):

Car in the garage (thanks again to BasAsp for the body buck dimensions to clear the increased height of the dolly - I had about 1" to spare):

The mountain of boxes awaiting inventory and placement in storage:

31. Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    With that design of dolly (same as the one I had), just be careful when you are wheeling the dolly back into the garage once you have the car on it. If you have a lip on the front concrete pad of the garage and you slam the weight of the dolly into it, you can damage your dolly to where it can be unstable. Ask me how I know..
    Great advice and also the same thing phileas_fogg shared as we wheeled it into the garage and over the small lip I have for mine - I suspect he encountered the same learning experience you did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again to VAHokie for the invite and to phileas_fogg, Craigs, and jrcuz for all the great info!

34. Thanks jrcuz thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don’t you feel like a kid again? Happy days.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great advice and also the same thing phileas_fogg shared as we wheeled it into the garage and over the small lip I have for mine - I suspect he encountered the same learning experience you did.
    Yup.

Congratulations again, Tony, and thanks for hosting!

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTBradley View Post
    Don’t you feel like a kid again? Happy days.
    Indeed I do. About to start inventory - it'll be like ripping into boxes on xmas morning like a kid!

38. Likes GTBradley, Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just started to build and ran into a problem already. It's not a big problem but it slowed me down. Watch out for correct assembly by FFR on the upper control arms, they assembled mine upside down.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Watch out for correct assembly by FFR on the upper control arms, they assembled mine upside down.
    Common problem and talked about in multiple build threads. FFR doesn't assemble those. They are standard off-the-shelf parts currently from Specialty Products. As they come from SPC, the ball joint plates are "upside down" from how they need to be installed in our builds. The build manual explains how they should be oriented, and pictures them properly. But doesn't specifically say they need to be taken apart and reassembled to get them that way. Would be an easy enough add, but isn't there including in the latest version I've seen. Perhaps they're leaving out because this is a supplier specific thing. They've used other suppliers for these parts in the past.
    Last edited by edwardb; 01-06-2019 at 11:14 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you GTBradley! I appreciate the heads up.
    Last edited by Zuma737; 01-07-2019 at 10:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just started to build and ran into a problem already. It's not a big problem but it slowed me down. Watch out for correct assembly by FFR on the upper control arms, they assembled mine upside down.
    Thanks for the heads up GTBradley. I recall reading about this in a build thread and probably have it noted down in my notes, but will reach out with any questions if I run into any issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Logged a couple of hours doing inventory over the past couple of days and making some headway. Thought I would share some thoughts for those first time builders and then a few questions for those experienced ones.

Observations
    1) Like so many have forewarned, the carpet is messy and coats everything within a 10 foot radius of wherever you unpack it. Be sure to do so in an area easy to clean, preferably outside. Also, each piece has its own part number in the packing list, but it doesn't always correspond with what's listed in the manual. This mostly applies to RH and LH pieces where one matches the number in the manual and the other doesn't. Not a big deal, just something to be prepared for.
    2) While most of the boxes I've gone through have been some of the larger ones (to help clear space and feel like i'm making progress, at least visually), I did go through a couple that contained bolts, nuts, etc. One tool I saw recommended that has been very handy confirming the size of bolts is this. I also picked up this, but haven't had a need to use it yet.
    3) The aluminum panels were mostly marked with their corresponding part #'s, but a few required some digging in the manual as the schematic in the front of the box isn't detailed enough to confirm. Not a big deal, just something to keep in mind and through process of elimination you can arrive at the answer.

Now for the questions:

Within one of the IRS boxes came across this piece and through process of elimination narrowed it down to the manual driveshaft adapter, spring collar and delrin spring washer, but hoping someone can confirm.

Can someone confirm the three panels below are the fuse panel mount, front nose floor and left footbox top inside cover. Almost positive they are but want to confirm.

Finally, a carpet question, does someone know if the picture below is the LH footbox floor, outside/front?

Post Thanks / Like

Now for the questions:

Within one of the IRS boxes came across this piece and through process of elimination narrowed it down to the manual driveshaft adapter, spring collar and delrin spring washer, but hoping someone can confirm.

Can someone confirm the three panels below are the fuse panel mount, front nose floor and left footbox top inside cover. Almost positive they are but want to confirm.

Finally, a carpet question, does someone know if the picture below is the LH footbox floor, outside/front?

So you seem to have the aluminum pieces figured out and correct.

The disk is in fact your drive shaft to rear end coupler/adapter.

The carpet piece I'm not 100% sure about, but it looks like it could be the PS forward floor piece. I did my carpet a couple weeks ago and they became very evident as I was doing them where they went.

I'll tell you that the detailed inventory that you are doing now is going to pay you dividends later as you build. Good Job!!!

Carl

Post Thanks / Like
    As Carl said, you'e got a drive shaft adapter (pay attention to the bolts as you fit it; some have been reported to be a thread or two too long), a right forward floor carpet piece, a pair of spring collars (lots of folks, including myself, don't use the set screws as they goon up the threads), an I-don't-know-what Delrin piece, radiator front aluminum, foot box access cover, and fuse panel mount. The fuse panel mount is for the donor fuse box; the Ron Francis harness comes with its own correctly-shaped panel mount & as I recall is in the RF box with the harness.

John

P.S. Good questions all around. I remember when I did my inventory I had to use process of elimination to figure out what the fuel filter was. Oh how much I've learned!
    Last edited by phileas_fogg; 01-08-2019 at 01:42 PM.
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    So you seem to have the aluminum pieces figured out and correct.

The disk is in fact your drive shaft to rear end coupler/adapter.

The carpet piece I'm not 100% sure about, but it looks like it could be the PS forward floor piece. I did my carpet a couple weeks ago and they became very evident as I was doing them where they went.

I'll tell you that the detailed inventory that you are doing now is going to pay you dividends later as you build. Good Job!!!

Carl
    Thanks for the extra set of eyes, Carl. I agree with your comment on the inventory - it's great to take note of every piece, learn what's-what, and actually have the parts in my hands after only ever seeing them in build thread pics. I'm pushing through any part knowledge gaps now so that I can avoid delays when it comes time to start building.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    As Carl said, you'e got a drive shaft adapter (pay attention to the bolts as you fit it; some have been reported to be a thread or two too long), a right forward floor carpet piece, a pair of spring collars (lots of folks, including myself, don't use the set screws as they goon up the threads), an I-don't-know-what Delrin piece, radiator front aluminum, foot box access cover, and fuse panel mount. The fuse panel mount is for the donor fuse box; the Ron Francis harness comes with its own correctly-shaped panel mount & as I recall is in the RF box with the harness.

John

P.S. Good questions all around. I remember when I did my inventory I had to use process of elimination to figure out what the fuel filter was. Oh how much I've learned!
    Thanks, John. I have to believe the Delrin spring washer goes with the spring collar as that's how it was packed and I encountered the same part packed with the front suspension this evening. What's interesting is that this washer is rubber and the other spring washer I came across in inventory with the steering shaft was metal - I guess they come in different material types.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the build thread. This is all great information! I'm a few weeks behind you. My kit had a 12/22 complete date, so as Sally says, my "baby is in the nursery" waiting for Stewart to pick it up. Per my last discussion with Stewart, it should be picked up late this week or early next week and then it will start its long journey to the west coast. I'll be keeping tabs on your progress. Good luck!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast