Thanks Thanks:  39
Likes Likes:  91
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VAHokie's Roadster Build Thread - Body Fitment Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

VAHokie's Roadster Build Thread - Body Fitment Questions

I'm approx. two weeks out from delivery on my MKIV complete kit, so I figured it's time to set-up the build thread, master the art of posting pics, and start documenting all my questions and the forum's great insights. I'll spare everyone the intro and build details as I already documented it here and my signature has most of the pertinent stuff. But I will share a pic from the Build School back in October and the "nursery' pic that Sally @ FFR (who is great BTW!) sent last Thursday (12/13).

MKIV Complete Kit #9494 l Delivered 1/5/19 l First Start 11/28/20 l First Go-kart 4/11/21 l Carb'd 347 l Mid-shift TKO600 l 3.55 IRS l P/S l Forte Mechanical Throttle Linkage l RT Turn Signal, Drop Trunk l Breeze Upper/Lower Radiator Support, Fan Shroud l Boig Upper/Lower Cool Tubes & Quiet Pipes l 18" FFR Gasser Wheels l Build Thread

2. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the club. First advice I was given I'll pass on to you. Inventory is really important. Check off everything and that will help you to find it when you need it. Enjoy the journey.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Welcome to the club. First advice I was given I'll pass on to you. Inventory is really important. Check off everything and that will help you to find it when you need it. Enjoy the journey.
    Thanks for the advice, John. I intend to do a thorough inventory before getting started.
    MKIV Complete Kit #9494 l Delivered 1/5/19 l First Start 11/28/20 l First Go-kart 4/11/21 l Carb'd 347 l Mid-shift TKO600 l 3.55 IRS l P/S l Forte Mechanical Throttle Linkage l RT Turn Signal, Drop Trunk l Breeze Upper/Lower Radiator Support, Fan Shroud l Boig Upper/Lower Cool Tubes & Quiet Pipes l 18" FFR Gasser Wheels l Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like we will have similar builds although you will have a 6-8 week head start. I should take delivery mid-February. Congratulations and look forward to reading about your build! Will be documenting my build here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzzz View Post
    Looks like we will have similar builds although you will have a 6-8 week head start. I should take delivery mid-February. Congratulations and look forward to reading about your build! Will be documenting my build here.
    Good to know, I'll be sure to follow your build since we'll be on similar tracks. Don't hesitate to reach out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Tony,

Regarding the fuel system parts, where they go (and if you'll even use them) will be dictated by your engine choices (EFI vs carb; internal electric vs external electric vs mechanical fuel pump, etc.). I didn't use the nylon fuel line because it was too short to get from the tank to my fuel filter location. I did use the quick connects and the provided rubber hose for my EFI system. In other words, you'll soon have a "Parts Not Used" box, and have to make up the rest as you go.

Regarding the wing nut & fender washer, I don't recall seeing those. But make a note where they're located so if you come up short somewhere you don't have to make a trip to Fastenal.

John

NOTE: If you go with an EFI system, make sure whatever fuel filter you use meets the EFI specification. An EFI system expecting 10u filtration won't last long if all you've got is a 15u filter.
    Last edited by phileas_fogg; 01-11-2019 at 05:35 PM.
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

8. Thanks JohnK thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    Hey Tony,

Regarding the fuel system parts, where they go (and if you'll even use them) will be dictated by your engine choices (EFI vs carb; internal electric vs external electric vs mechanical fuel pump, etc.). I didn't use the nylon fuel line because it was too short to get from the tank to my fuel filter location. I did use the quick connects and the provided rubber hose for my EFI system. In other words, you'll soon have a "Parts Not Used" box, and have to make up the rest as you go.

Regarding the wing nut & fender washer, I don't recall seeing those. But make a note where they're located so if you come up short somewhere you don't have to make a trip to Fastenal.

John

NOTE: If you go with an EFI system, make sure whatever fuel filter you use meets the EFI specification. An EFI system expecting 10u filtration won't last long if all you've got is a 15u filter.
    Great info, John, and appreciate the heads-up on the fuel filter specification. I intend to go the carb route and will be sure to confirm that what I have will be sufficient or if I need to swap it out with something else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! I just ordered my kit too. Completion date 2/2/19. I'll be following along your thread. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MechanicalKnowledgeNone View Post
    Congrats! I just ordered my kit too. Completion date 2/2/19. I'll be following along your thread. Good luck.
    My completion date is also 2/2! Will you be doing a build thread?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzzz View Post
    My completion date is also 2/2! Will you be doing a build thread?
    Yes, I'll be making a Build Thread. I'm going to wait until I get closer to delivery before I start it up. I'll be on this forum A LOT. Hopefully we can make it through with everyone's help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Tony! Here comes the fun. I'm happy for you.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Rocco!

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, when you find your fan, look up the current draw for whatever manufacturer / model you have. Mine was a Maradyne fan that only draws 12-15A. I replaced the 30A fuse in the Ron Francis fuse box with a 20A to better match the expected load. And if you replace the fan's spade connectors with Weatherpak, note that typically the latter are rated to 20A so you'll want a 20A fuse anyway.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, when you find your fan, look up the current draw for whatever manufacturer / model you have. Mine was a Maradyne fan that only draws 12-15A. I replaced the 30A fuse in the Ron Francis fuse box with a 20A to better match the expected load. And if you replace the fan's spade connectors with Weatherpak, note that typically the latter are rated to 20A so you'll want a 20A fuse anyway.

John
    Hey, John.

Unpacked the radiator fan and it's a Faz Elektrik M162K-F. Upon googling it, it took me to the Maradyne website and it appears we probably have a similar fan, although mine draws 18a. What advantage does lowering the fuse rating from 30 to 20 to more closely align with the expected load? Wouldn't it be better to have a higher rated fuse to allow for a little wiggle room? Admittedly, the electrical components of the build are where I feel most deficient, so apologize for what may be a noob question.

Post Thanks / Like
    One question for the group and a request for confirmation on two parts. Thanks in advance to all who can share some insight!

First the question: In the Fuel Line components section, it states you should receive two brass barbed fittings, one 1/4" and the other 5/16". Located both (see below), but the one on the left isn't barbed, it's actually a clamp style fitting. Will this be an issue?

Now for the parts confirmation: Can someone confirm these two parts are the LH/RH Pin Mount Plate, Front, 1/16" Steel?

And can you someone confirm these are the 3/16" Steel Door Latch Spacers?
    Last edited by VAHokie; 01-13-2019 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Updated first pic to the correct one

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Tony, are you planning to install a heater? If so, you may find that the 3/4" brace for the dash hoop interferes with the heater body. If so, the easiest solution is to cut out the brace...which means you'll have to rethink your aluminum firewall brace.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing with inventory that may help...
    There's nut & bolt packs all over the place, in every box, loose with a number on them. During the inventory put the hardware kits in the box of a larger part they go with. I also Sharpie'd the "orphan" hardware bags with the original box number, and combined them in their own box... so now when I move along and there aren't any bolts, I look at my list and find the part # & box number, then go to my new "bolt box" and find the pack.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    One thing with inventory that may help...
    There's nut & bolt packs all over the place, in every box, loose with a number on them. During the inventory put the hardware kits in the box of a larger part they go with. I also Sharpie'd the "orphan" hardware bags with the original box number, and combined them in their own box... so now when I move along and there aren't any bolts, I look at my list and find the part # & box number, then go to my new "bolt box" and find the pack.
    Great advice - I'll definitely be borrowing that approach.

Post Thanks / Like
    The fuse keeps the wire from melting and potentially causing a fire in the case of current overload. You do need some wiggle room; I believe 10-15% over the anticipated load is the rule of thumb.

In my case, the Weatherpak connectors I used were rated to 20A (you can get higher rated Weatherpaks; you just have to look for them). If I'd left the 30A fuse in place, the actual fuse would have been the connector. Since swapping the spade connectors for Weatherpaks is a common upgrade, and you've got easy access to the fan now, it's an easy decision / change to make.

John

P.S. Yes, you've got door latch spacers. The other brackets must be for the hood pins; I had them left over since I used the gas struts. I don't see the picture of the fuel line fittings.
    Last edited by phileas_fogg; 01-13-2019 at 09:00 PM.
    MK IV Roadster #8631

Post Thanks / Like
    The fuse keeps the wire from melting and potentially causing a fire in the case of current overload. You do need some wiggle room; I believe 10-15% over the anticipated load is the rule of thumb.

In my case, the Weatherpak connectors I used were rated to 20A (you can get higher rated Weatherpaks; you just have to look for them). If I'd left the 30A fuse in place, the actual fuse would have been the connector. Since swapping the spade connectors for Weatherpaks is a common upgrade, and you've got easy access to the fan now, it's an easy decision / change to make.

John

P.S. Yes, you've got door latch spacers. The other brackets must be for the hood pins; I had them left over since I used the gas struts. I don't see the picture of the fuel line fittings.
    Thanks, John. Updated the pic above to the fittings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there. I did not want to steal Yamabro's thread so I'm over here on yours... LOL.... Seriously, on the dolly, I used the same plan that you have except I raised it up by adding a 4 x 6 along with the 4x4.... I used gorilla wood glue and some 7" lag bolts to attach the 4x4 and 4x6 ; It brought the bottom of my chassis up to 21" with the wheels that I got. HERE is my link to my build of the dolly.... I LOVED it as it was very easy to get under and it was up high enough to work without bending over too much. I found it to be extremely sturdy as well. And it rolled around the garage like a dream... Hope this helps. I had some left over red floor epoxy that I coated it with as well... just a nice touch. Hope this helps.
    IMG_1213.jpg IMG_1248.jpg

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    Hey there. I did not want to steal Yamabro's thread so I'm over here on yours... LOL.... Seriously, on the dolly, I used the same plan that you have except I raised it up by adding a 4 x 6 along with the 4x4.... I used gorilla wood glue and some 7" lag bolts to attach the 4x4 and 4x6 ; It brought the bottom of my chassis up to 21" with the wheels that I got. HERE is my link to my build of the dolly.... I LOVED it as it was very easy to get under and it was up high enough to work without bending over too much. I found it to be extremely sturdy as well. And it rolled around the garage like a dream... Hope this helps. I had some left over red floor epoxy that I coated it with as well... just a nice touch. Hope this helps.
    IMG_1213.jpg IMG_1248.jpg
    Thanks, Carl. Dumb question, safe to assume you counter sunk the 7" lag bolts that held the 4x4 and 4x6 pieces together?
    Last edited by VAHokie; 12-22-2018 at 02:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAHokie View Post
    Thanks, Carl. Dumb question, safe to assume you counter sunk the 7" lag bolts that held the 4x4 and 4x6 pieces together?
    Yup.. just used the appropriate size wood bit (Paddle style) Worked great.... That's also why I ended up with the 4x4 on top.... FYI, pre drill with 3/8" bit and use 7/16" Lag bolts... good catch....

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600

Post Thanks / Like
    Still waiting on delivery but Stewart confirmed it should some time over the weekend. Not to worry though, plenty to keep me busy over the holidays in preparing for its arrival, including building the body buck and chassis dolly. Big thanks to Scottiec for donating his body buck, phileas_fogg for the chassis dolly casters, and BadAsp427 for the chassis dolly enhancement recommendation and confirming some measurements for me. Like so many have commented before, the willingness and generosity of this community are amazing.

For the chassis dolly, I used these plans but added a 4x6 to increase the height and an additional cross brace for some added support. Hopefully the increased height will help spare my back a bit during the build - we'll see.

Here's the body buck and chassis dolly:

And here's an up close of the chassis dolly so you can see the modifications:
    Last edited by VAHokie; 01-02-2019 at 11:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

For the chassis dolly, I used these plans but added a 4x6 to increase the height and an additional cross brace for some added support. Hopefully the increased height will help spare my back a bit during the build - we'll see.

And here's an up close of the chassis dolly so you can see the modifications:
    Looks really nice... great job, it will be a back saver...
    Looks very familiar... Nice job... I will tell you that while I was working on my build, I found my self in the engine bay several times while the chassis was up on the dolly. I used the cross support to hold tools, rivets, perhaps a 12oz bev etc several times.... The extra cross brace you installed would have been in my way. And I really do not see where it would have helped me at all. You may find that you want to remove it and you should not have any problems if you do. That is of course if you tied the 4x4 and 4x6 together with a few lag bolts as we discussed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you're ready to rock and roll!
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

29. Likes VAHokie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    With that design of dolly (same as the one I had), just be careful when you are wheeling the dolly back into the garage once you have the car on it. If you have a lip on the front concrete pad of the garage and you slam the weight of the dolly into it, you can damage your dolly to where it can be unstable. Ask me how I know..
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

31. Thanks jrcuz thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    With that design of dolly (same as the one I had), just be careful when you are wheeling the dolly back into the garage once you have the car on it. If you have a lip on the front concrete pad of the garage and you slam the weight of the dolly into it, you can damage your dolly to where it can be unstable. Ask me how I know..
    Great advice and also the same thing phileas_fogg shared as we wheeled it into the garage and over the small lip I have for mine - I suspect he encountered the same learning experience you did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again to VAHokie for the invite and to phileas_fogg, Craigs, and jrcuz for all the great info!
    Base Kit Delivered January 2019

34. Thanks jrcuz thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great advice and also the same thing phileas_fogg shared as we wheeled it into the garage and over the small lip I have for mine - I suspect he encountered the same learning experience you did.
    Yup.

Congratulations again, Tony, and thanks for hosting!

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631

Post Thanks / Like
    As Carl said, you'e got a drive shaft adapter (pay attention to the bolts as you fit it; some have been reported to be a thread or two too long), a right forward floor carpet piece, a pair of spring collars (lots of folks, including myself, don't use the set screws as they goon up the threads), an I-don't-know-what Delrin piece, radiator front aluminum, foot box access cover, and fuse panel mount. The fuse panel mount is for the donor fuse box; the Ron Francis harness comes with its own correctly-shaped panel mount & as I recall is in the RF box with the harness.

John

P.S. Good questions all around. I remember when I did my inventory I had to use process of elimination to figure out what the fuel filter was. Oh how much I've learned!
    Last edited by phileas_fogg; 01-08-2019 at 01:42 PM.
    MK IV Roadster #8631

Post Thanks / Like
    As Carl said, you'e got a drive shaft adapter (pay attention to the bolts as you fit it; some have been reported to be a thread or two too long), a right forward floor carpet piece, a pair of spring collars (lots of folks, including myself, don't use the set screws as they goon up the threads), an I-don't-know-what Delrin piece, radiator front aluminum, foot box access cover, and fuse panel mount. The fuse panel mount is for the donor fuse box; the Ron Francis harness comes with its own correctly-shaped panel mount & as I recall is in the RF box with the harness.

John

P.S. Good questions all around. I remember when I did my inventory I had to use process of elimination to figure out what the fuel filter was. Oh how much I've learned!
    Thanks, John. I have to believe the Delrin spring washer goes with the spring collar as that's how it was packed and I encountered the same part packed with the front suspension this evening. What's interesting is that this washer is rubber and the other spring washer I came across in inventory with the steering shaft was metal - I guess they come in different material types.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the build thread. This is all great information! I'm a few weeks behind you. My kit had a 12/22 complete date, so as Sally says, my "baby is in the nursery" waiting for Stewart to pick it up. Per my last discussion with Stewart, it should be picked up late this week or early next week and then it will start its long journey to the west coast. I'll be keeping tabs on your progress. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Thanks for the build thread. This is all great information! I'm a few weeks behind you. My kit had a 12/22 complete date, so as Sally says, my "baby is in the nursery" waiting for Stewart to pick it up. Per my last discussion with Stewart, it should be picked up late this week or early next week and then it will start its long journey to the west coast. I'll be keeping tabs on your progress. Good luck!
    Glad this info helps! If you haven't already, ask Sally to send a nursery pic to add to your photo library. There's something about seeing your name, on your car that makes it feel real - at least it did for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad this info helps! If you haven't already, ask Sally to send a nursery pic to add to your photo library. There's something about seeing your name, on your car that makes it feel real - at least it did for me.
    Already done!

IMG_1632.JPG

41. Likes VAHokie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I continue to work through inventory, averaging 1-2 hours a night. My hope is to be done by the end of the weekend, which will be a week after delivery and consistent with what others have shared it took them to complete it. I'll be able to start the actual build, or should I say tear down process? I tackled the Fuel Tank and eBrake boxes last night (as well as a few others) and wanted to run a few things by the group:

I believe these are the 3/8-5/16" and 1/4" fuel line connectors, but would like to confirm. It's not entirely clear in the instructions where these go, but in reviewing the pics in the manual it appears they attach to either end of the fuel filter - does that sound right?

I also have two hoses, one is clearly the nylon fuel line that connects the filter with the tank (Part Name: Tank to Filter Fuel Line Assembly), and the other is Part Name: 1/4" ID, High Pressure Flexible Fuel Line. Can someone confirm where this goes?

In the eBrake parts, I had two leftover items that weren't on the actual parts list: a wing nut and washer. Did anyone else receive these?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well well well...I was beginning to wonder if you'd abandoned this thread!

Good to know you're making progress.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631

Post Thanks / Like
    Well well well...I was beginning to wonder if you'd abandoned this thread!

Good to know you're making progress.

John
    Slow,progress, but its progress!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tony, I just thought that when you get your engine and trans you will need to dial indicate your bell housing. It is very easy to do with the proper tools. When I got my eng/trans from Mike Forte I confirmed with him he doesn't do this. There are several videos on youtube, check out american powertrain for their video. As they say if you don't do this step and you have trans bearing problems down the road your trans is not covered under tremec's warranty. I have the dial gauge to do it with or you may be able to get one on loan from an auto parts store. I bought mine and a magnetic base from Harbor Freight for cheap money.
    Good progress on your inventory.
    Jerry
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcuz View Post
    Hi Tony, I just thought that when you get your engine and trans you will need to dial indicate your bell housing. It is very easy to do with the proper tools. When I got my eng/trans from Mike Forte I confirmed with him he doesn't do this. There are several videos on youtube, check out american powertrain for their video. As they say if you don't do this step and you have trans bearing problems down the road your trans is not covered under tremec's warranty. I have the dial gauge to do it with or you may be able to get one on loan from an auto parts store. I bought mine and a magnetic base from Harbor Freight for cheap money.
    Good progress on your inventory.
    Jerry
    Hey, Jerry. I appreciate the reminder on this. I recall you mentioning that during my visit to see your build and actually have it noted in my discussion notes. Still a bit out from this step, but I'll be sure to connect when the time comes.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast