Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! Sounds great!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

2. Likes VAHokie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! Enjoy the first start buzz, sure is a great feeling... engine looks and sounds great!
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

4. Likes VAHokie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tony, you've been busy! It sounds and looks great. Love the quiet pipes maybe some day for me.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

6. Likes VAHokie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! Up next - first go-kart. Way2go!
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

8. Likes VAHokie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Tony. If I can help you chase electrical gremlins, let me know.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys I can't stress how clean Tony's build is. Coming along fantastic.

11. Thanks VAHokie thanked for this post
    Likes VAHokie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your wheels are fantastic. Really love the look.

13. Likes VAHokie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    way to go Tony.... congrats on the milestone... only a few more to go...

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

15. Likes VAHokie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woohoo! This calls for a beer!
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

17. Likes VAHokie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, Tony! What a big day. Very motivating.

Still following along.
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit: arriving ~ 4/22/24! Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

19. Thanks VAHokie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice! Sounds great. Congrats!
    MKIV Complete Kit #9822 l BluePrint 347 EFI l TKO600 l Power Steering l Heater/Defrost l Build Thread

21. Thanks VAHokie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Air Filter
    Took a little time off from the build over the holidays, but have been slowly plugging along towards first go-kart. I've knocked a few small things off the to-do list to include finalizing the air cleaner install. Nothing earth-shattering about it but wanted to share that I did have to notch the air cleaner base to accommodate one of my distributor wires. Hopefully this helps with a future builder who plans to use a K&N filter. With the mod it fit like a glove and the finished product looks darn cool.

MKIV Complete Kit #9494 l Delivered 1/5/19 l First Start 11/28/20 l First Go-kart 4/11/21 l Carb'd 347 l Mid-shift TKO600 l 3.55 IRS l P/S l Forte Mechanical Throttle Linkage l RT Turn Signal, Drop Trunk l Breeze Upper/Lower Radiator Support, Fan Shroud l Boig Upper/Lower Cool Tubes & Quiet Pipes l 18" FFR Gasser Wheels l Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mechanical Throttle Linkage
    A modification almost everyone I spoke to in creating my build plan recommended was Fortes' Mechanical Throttle Linkage. It's a great product and would highly recommend it. I've had it mocked up for some time but only recently got around to completing the install. As with all of the other parts, scuffed it up and applied some paint and clear coat to it.

Here are all the pieces painted and ready for install. You'll notice the bell crank on the right has a little bit of the top cut off which is to clear the top of my footbox.

I placed my heim joints in the firewall as close to the top of the 2" frame tube that I could. A lot of guys put them into the frame which would have addressed my footbox interference issue mentioned above. By putting them that low, I had to put relief cuts in the washers behind the firewall.

I used a small brass fitting to help with the transition through the footbox inner panel.

Bird's eye view of the finished product.

Side view of the finished product.
    Last edited by VAHokie; 01-16-2021 at 12:26 PM.
    MKIV Complete Kit #9494 l Delivered 1/5/19 l First Start 11/28/20 l First Go-kart 4/11/21 l Carb'd 347 l Mid-shift TKO600 l 3.55 IRS l P/S l Forte Mechanical Throttle Linkage l RT Turn Signal, Drop Trunk l Breeze Upper/Lower Radiator Support, Fan Shroud l Boig Upper/Lower Cool Tubes & Quiet Pipes l 18" FFR Gasser Wheels l Build Thread

24. Likes jrcuz, Caddy Dad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Courtesy Lights
    I wanted to do something a little different with the courtesy lights so that they matched my color scheme, so I went with some red LED lights. In addition to both of the footboxes, I also have one in the trunk that is on the same circuit. They go well with the gauges!

26. Likes jrcuz, Fman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAHokie View Post
    Mechanical Throttle Linkage
    A modification almost everyone I spoke to in creating my build plan recommended Fortes Mechanical Throttle Linkage. It's a great product and would highly recommend it. I've had it mocked up for some time but only recently go around to completing the install. As with all of the other parts, scuffed it up and applied some paint and clear coat to it.
    That looks really sharp, Tony! Nice!
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit: arriving ~ 4/22/24! Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work on your throttle linkage Tony. My home made throttle linkage works fine but it doesn't have any roll pins to prevent slipping, no problems so far.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcuz View Post
    Nice work on your throttle linkage Tony. My home made throttle linkage works fine but it doesn't have any roll pins to prevent slipping, no problems so far.
    JR
    Looks great Tony. consider putting some rubber seal along the cut edge of your air filter base so that it doesn't cut through your spark plug wire boot over time w/ vibration.
    JR, if you don't plan on a roll pin, at least consider filing a flat spot on your arm with a set screw. you can generate a lot of pressure on that pedal and I wouldn't want it to slip while on the freeway. I tested my Forte linkage first without roll pins and it did slip very easily despite having the set screws tight.

30. Likes jrcuz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 460.465USMC View Post
    That looks really sharp, Tony! Nice!
    Thanks, Chris. The attention to the small details like this are what stretch the build process out. Subconsciously, I don't think I want the build to end and come up with these little side projects.

Post Thanks / Like
    JR
    Thanks, Jerry. Fortes kit comes with some roll pins but I opted to use 1/8" cotter pins. Having the looped shoulder on one end seemed like it would be easier to grab hold of up in the footbox if service is needed in the future. I'm praying that won't happen as it's tight up in there! Similar to egchewy79, one of my bell cranks would slip despite having it tightened down, which is why I had to place a pin. Not everyone has experienced slippage but an easy enough mod to do now for peace of mind. If you do drill into the arm, recommend using a drill press and some high quality drill bits.

Quote Originally Posted by egchewy79 View Post
    Looks great Tony. consider putting some rubber seal along the cut edge of your air filter base so that it doesn't cut through your spark plug wire boot over time w/ vibration.
    Great call out and will do!

33. Likes jrcuz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Alignment
    Long overdue for an update so I'm going to play a little catch-up here. Working towards my first go-kart, I did a rough alignment using a Longacre camber/caster tool and toe plates. They made dialing in the measurements fairly straightforward, although still time-consuming as there was a lot of bouncing from one side of the car to the other as I was making adjustments. I also spent time making adjustments to the ride height before doing the alignment to ensure the car was sitting at 4" in the front and 4.5" in the rear (I also double checked the pinion angle too). That, too, required a lot of raising/lowering the car, checking measurements, repeat. For whatever reason, I couldn't get the rear shock adjusters to turn even with the car jacked up and the weight off the suspension (the front shocks turned and adjusted just fine). I ended picking up an adjustable pin spanner wrench which ended up doing the trick. Figured it'll be something I may need in the future and who doesn't like adding new tools to the toolbox?!?

Here's a shot of the camber/caster tool and toe plates in position. The best I could get for the caster was +7.5 degrees, both the camber and toe were dialed in to the specs in the manual. I'll leave the fine-tuning up to the professionals.

When setting the caster with the Longacre tool, you need to turn the wheel 20 degrees in either direction as you're taking measurements and making adjustments. The tool comes with handy 20 degree relief cuts to align with the side of the car as you turn the wheel. Once the relief is parallel to the side of the car, you're at 20 degrees. To be extra sure, I drew 20 degree marks on the garage floor. A little hard to see but hopefully you get the idea.

One set of instructions for setting caster and camber that aren't in the manual but shared by EdwardB and posted in other threads is the following. This was extremely helpful in ensuring I was making the proper adjustments.

Setting Camber and Caster

REAR (IRS):

Left side: Moving toe arm adjuster DOWN (from front) moves toe OUT. Moving camber adjuster DOWN (from front) moves camber POSITIVE.

Right side: Moving toe arm adjuster DOWN (from front) moves toe IN. Moving camber adjuster DOWN (from front) moves camber NEGATIVE.

FRONT:

Left side: Moving inner tie rod DOWN (from front) moves toe IN. Moving UCA adjustment sleeves DOWN (from back) move both OUT.

Right side: Moving inner tie rod DOWN (from front) moves toe OUT. Moving UCA adjustment sleeves DOWN (from back) move both IN.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cockpit & Trunk Aluminum
    With the rough alignment complete and everything seemingly buttoned up, I proceeded to install the remaining cockpit and trunk aluminum. What you don't see here is that I also installed my sound deadener/heat insulation in both areas except the cockpit floors. I still need to get the seats positioned correctly and the Breeze seat mount installed. I also used HVAC tape to seal the seams in the panels and for the insulation.

Here's the cockpit panels installed (I may have gotten carried away with the number of rivets!). These were all installed with a hand rivet tool.

Here's the trunk. You can see some of the HVAC tape on the RT drop trunk box.

I also expanded the fuel pump access area to allow more room to work on it in the future. Doing so required a custom panel to be made which I did with a 12x12 16 gauge piece of steel. It's affixed to the trunk floor panel with 10-32 screws and rivnuts to make it easily serviceable.
    Last edited by VAHokie; 04-14-2021 at 09:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Roll Bars
    I decided to go with a boltless/hidden rollbar kit to avoid the frankenstein bolt protruding from the leg and hoop junction. Just personal preference. The 520 Speedworks product is a nice option and a straightforward install. To assist with drilling the holes at the base of the hoop and legs, I fashioned up a little jig to hold them in place. Nothing fancy, but helped ensure the roll bar wasn't going anywhere as I drilled through them.

One thing to note for those that follow in these footsteps, be sure to get the threaded rod protruding 1/8" from the lip of the roll bar leg (per the instructions). I ended up having more than that and it resulted in a sizeable gap when installed, which wasn't going to fly.

Easy enough to fix, i'll just take my dremel and cut the threaded rod down to size. Unfortunately, in doing that I apparently didn't clean the cut edge of the threaded rod enough and it buggered up the coupling nut. Quick trip to the local hardware store for another threaded rod and coupling nut and I was back in business. I would have liked for the roll bars to mate up perfectly, but I think the slight variations in the angles has them offset slightly. Hardly noticeable and it may be something I take some black silicone to if it really bothers me down the road.

Here's the finished product. The dual roll bars aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I actually like them and I see them as protection for my passengers.

37. Likes Fman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    First Go-kart
    With the alignment complete and cockpit panels in place, I couldn't resist throwing a seat in and backing the car out of the garage under it's own power for the first time. With everything appearing to be in order, I decided to take it to the end of the block and back for my first go-kart - talk about nerves!

39. Likes phileas_fogg, JB in NOVA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    First Go-kart (Continued)
    Here's one with a little more to it.

The brakes feel a little soft for my liking, but they haven't been properly bedded yet. I may need to bleed them again but will wait to get some more miles (read: trips around the block) before doing that.

There's still a lot of work to do but it feels great to reach this milestone.
    Last edited by VAHokie; 04-14-2021 at 10:18 PM.

41. Likes Fman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woo-hoo! Congratulations!!! Well done.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

43. Thanks VAHokie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work! I had the same gap w/ my 520 boltless kit. I'm thinking of trying the bend the rear mount a bit using a long breaker bar.
    My stock brakes were also a bit lacking. As long as you don't get brake fade and have a good firm feel, it gets much better after you bed them in. I can now get them to lock up from 30-40mph.

Post Thanks / Like
    Courtesy Lights
    I wanted to do something a little different with the courtesy lights so that they matched my color scheme, so I went with some red LED lights. In addition to both of the footboxes, I also have one in the trunk that is on the same circuit. They go well with the gauges!

I’m doing some early wiring right now and I am setup to do the exact same thing. My red led’s arrived last week. I wasn’t sure how it would look now I see it will be pretty sweet.

Nice job.
    MK4 #10008 - Ordered 10/06/20, Delivered 03/03/21, First Start 7/22/21, First Go Kart 7/24/21
    Paint by Metal Morphous 5/14/22, Legally registered 6/8/22, Graduated 7/20/22
    Build Thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...been-delivered
    Complete Kit, Ford 306, Sniper/Dual Sync, T5, Hydraulic clutch

46. Likes VAHokie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Tony

You've been busy Tony. I've got the boltless roll bar kit also. I got them from the previous vendor before 520 speedworks started producing them. I've had them so long I can't remember the vendors name. I took my car to Whitby's for a few finish items including the roll bar kit and body/paint. It's been there since Feb.5th. The guy that got the trailer for the trip lives about 5 mins. from me with a Mk3. about 3 weeks ago he was rearended in his and now has nothing to drive and is still working with the other persons insurance co. so he hasn't decided where he is going to have it repaired. Whitby finished and painted originally after his 2nd deployment Here is a pic of his and mine the left rear quarter is gone from the accident. Love the go cart vids.
    JR
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jrcuz; 04-15-2021 at 07:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by egchewy79 View Post
    Nice work! I had the same gap w/ my 520 boltless kit. I'm thinking of trying the bend the rear mount a bit using a long breaker bar.
    My stock brakes were also a bit lacking. As long as you don't get brake fade and have a good firm feel, it gets much better after you bed them in. I can now get them to lock up from 30-40mph.
    Let me know how you make out with the rear mount adjustment as I may do the same. With your brakes, what pads are you using? I upgraded to Hawk pads based on other builder recommendations.

Post Thanks / Like
    You've been busy Tony. I've got the boltless roll bar kit also. I got them from the previous vendor before 520 speedworks started producing them. I've had them so long I can't remember the vendors name. I took my car to Whitby's for a few finish items including the roll bar kit and body/paint. It's been there since Feb.5th. The guy that got the trailer for the trip lives about 5 mins. from me with a Mk3. about 3 weeks ago he was rearended in his and now has nothing to drive and is still working with the other persons insurance co. so he hasn't decided where he is going to have it repaired. Whitby finished and painted originally after his 2nd deployment Here is a pic of his and mine the left rear quarter is gone from the accident. Love the go cart vids.
    JR
    Congrats on getting the car off to the paint/body shop. Look forward to seeing the finished product. Awful to hear about your friend's car but it sounds like he's OK, which is most important. The car can always be replaced!

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me know how you make out with the rear mount adjustment as I may do the same. With your brakes, what pads are you using? I upgraded to Hawk pads based on other builder recommendations.
    I've got on stock pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    First Go-kart (Continued)
    Here's one with a little more to it.

There's still a lot of work to do but it feels great to reach this milestone.
    Awesome milestone! Looking good.
    Chris

52. Thanks VAHokie thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    that's awesome! Congrats on the great accomplishment. That first drive is such a thrill!
    2018 Factory Five Mk IV, Gen 2 Coyote, Tremec TKO 600 5 speed, complete kit, standard brakes and rear axle;
    Delivered: 5 Sept 2018
    First start: 31 Aug 2019
    First go-cart: 22 Sept 2019
    Basically done except paint: May 2020
    Graduation: June 2021

54. Thanks VAHokie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Way to go!!!! Looking fantastic...

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

56. Thanks VAHokie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Initial Body Fitment
    Been working on the body fitment for the last couple of weeks. This is the first time the body has been on the rolling chassis and boy does it look good. I'm leaving the bodywork up to the professionals, so my goal here is to trim only where I need too in order to get the body centered/square to the frame and the hood, doors and trunk seated. I don't have the bulb seal on yet as I'm checking for any initial panel interferences. Once I get the body positioned correctly, i'll take note of any places to trim and go from there.

Couple of questions for the group:

1) I suspect there are likely subtle variations in every body and frame, so how they mate up will vary by build. On my front end, in order to get equal measurements on both sides from the frame to the top lip of the wheel opening, the body has to shift towards the PS, which leaves a 7/8 gap between the body and QJ mount and no gap on the DS. What have others found with their builds? Is there supposed to be this much variation? I know these aren't centering points on the car, but would have expected them to be a bit more uniform.

Here's the PS.

Here's the DS.

I also understand that the location of the rear door sill with respect to the latch mount should be fairly flush. Here's what I'm showing on my PS which is identical to the DS. Does this look right or does it need to come forward more?

Post Thanks / Like
    It is very common to need to 'persuade' those QJ mounts some. Not sure if they don't jig them well enough or maybe they are just such a handy handle for when frames get moved around. Either way, usually it's hard to move them sideways enough w/ the body on so that they stay. They need to move more than you actually want, to account for the spring back once you take you hand away. I would make notes w/ pics, figure how far each needs to move, and tweak them next time the body is off. They won't go up or down, or in or out, but you may be surprised how easily the go sideways.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    As Da'Bat put it on the d/s put a 2x4 in the wheel well and "whang" it over with a BFH. I did it and it worked it moved about 3/4".
    JR

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    It is very common to need to 'persuade' those QJ mounts some. Not sure if they don't jig them well enough or maybe they are just such a handy handle for when frames get moved around. Either way, usually it's hard to move them sideways enough w/ the body on so that they stay. They need to move more than you actually want, to account for the spring back once you take you hand away. I would make notes w/ pics, figure how far each needs to move, and tweak them next time the body is off. They won't go up or down, or in or out, but you may be surprised how easily the go sideways.
    As Da'Bat put it on the d/s put a 2x4 in the wheel well and "whang" it over with a BFH. I did it and it worked it moved about 3/4".
    JR
    Thanks, Craig and Jerry. Now that you mention it, I do recall reading/hearing that the QJ mounts require some persuasion to get where they need to be. Thanks for the note!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789