Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  39
Likes Likes:  91
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: VAHokie's Roadster Build Thread - Body Fitment Questions

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing too noteworthy to post since my last update as my time to work on the car has been limited, but I did manage to get a solid 6 hours this past Saturday to begin fitting and drilling panels. I managed to get both F panels, DS and PS footboxes, firewall, and trans tunnel front vertical wall positioned and drilled (see below). Work will continue this week on the cockpit floors and hopefully finish all fitment/drilling by the end of next week. I still need to pick up an aluminum sheet to fabricate the two upper trunk side walls and possibly a piece along the back trunk wall (still TBD). I also made a trip to FFMetals to pick-up one of their trans tunnel covers as I plan to do a mid-shift and have no interest in having an uneven surface with aluminum patches. It's a nice a high quality piece and Bill's a great guy. Spent a solid 45 minutes talking shop, sharing tips/tricks, etc.

MKIV Complete Kit #9494 l Delivered 1/5/19 l First Start 11/28/20 l First Go-kart 4/11/21 l Carb'd 347 l Mid-shift TKO600 l 3.55 IRS l P/S l Forte Mechanical Throttle Linkage l RT Turn Signal, Drop Trunk l Breeze Upper/Lower Radiator Support, Fan Shroud l Boig Upper/Lower Cool Tubes & Quiet Pipes l 18" FFR Gasser Wheels l Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good Tony. John, Craig, Henry (another builder) my brother and Dave (old friend) were able to do the first body fitting yesterday, looks pretty good.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Well well well...I was beginning to wonder if you'd abandoned this thread!

Good to know you're making progress.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    L-L-Looking Good!
    Please keep in mind that CLECO FASTENERS are your best friend at this stage of your build.
    Also, make sure to run and install your rear electrical harness, fuel and brake lines before you permanently install the pans.
    It makes life a lot easier if you do.
    Good Luck From The Dark-Dart Side!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 02-27-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcuz View Post
    Looks good Tony. John, Craig, Henry (another builder) my brother and Dave (old friend) were able to do the first body fitting yesterday, looks pretty good.
    JR
    Congrats, JR! Big milestone.
    MKIV Complete Kit #9494 l Delivered 1/5/19 l First Start 11/28/20 l First Go-kart 4/11/21 l Carb'd 347 l Mid-shift TKO600 l 3.55 IRS l P/S l Forte Mechanical Throttle Linkage l RT Turn Signal, Drop Trunk l Breeze Upper/Lower Radiator Support, Fan Shroud l Boig Upper/Lower Cool Tubes & Quiet Pipes l 18" FFR Gasser Wheels l Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    Well well well...I was beginning to wonder if you'd abandoned this thread!

Good to know you're making progress.

John
    Slow,progress, but its progress!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    L-L-Looking Good!
    Please keep in mind that CLECO FASTENERS are your best friend at this stage of your build.
    Also, make sure to run and install your rear electrical harness, fuel and brake lines before you permanently install the pans.
    It makes life a lot easier if you do.
    Good Luck From The Dark-Dart Side!
    Thanks, GoDadGo. I'm putting the 50 I have to work, that's for sure. No panels will be installed for awhile and certainly not before the pieces you referenced go on.

8. Thanks Straversi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Panel fitment is 95% complete and before wrapping it up, I wanted to fabricate a few aluminum pieces: firewall brace and upper trunk inside panels. Nothing too crazy here, but enjoyed doing these mods to add some rigidity to the firewall and improve the finish in the trunk. For the firewall brace, I used the provided DS front footbox panel that isn't used as it already had the flanges to butt up against the firewall.

Here's the panel ready for the first cut - placed painters tape down to avoid scuffing the aluminum.

And the finished piece installed. Still need to drill a couple of holes to allow for the wiring harness to pass through.

For the upper trunk inside panels, I ordered a 2' x 2' piece of 6061-T6 aluminum from Aircraft Spruce which was enough to cut three of the panels, allowing a little margin for error (little foreshadowing here). I then traced the previously made template onto the aluminum and proceeded to make the cuts.

After cutting the DS, I attempted to install it and had the hardest time getting it into place, eventually conceding defeat and cutting the panel in two to slide in from different directions. Here's a pic of the two panels installed - note the vertical cut behind the roll bar mount.

After drilling and clecoing it in place, it dawned on me that to install this panel you can simply push it in up against the side from the interior vs. trying to slide it from the front to the back (as I was doing before). Duh! This required a few extra cuts, specifically creating a slot for the roll bar mount to slide through, but easy enough. I applied this approach to the PS and voila - success!

Satisfied with this new approach, I used the remaining material of the 2' x 2' and fabricated another DS panel. I know, I know... it'll be covered by carpet and no one will ever know if I had kept the original in there, but I would and that was reason enough to spend the extra time to do it right.

Next weekend I'll tackle the RT drop trunk mod and that should bring the panel fitment process to end. I'll then pull everything off, deburring the holes as I go, inventory everything, and begin the process of getting quotes for PC. I was definitely in the PC everything camp in the beginning, but the more time I'm spending with the panels, the more I may just PC those that will be visible in the engine bay. A key driver will be the cost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good work Tony, I'm jealous. I just spent the week-end getting my rear bumper fitted-up.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Tony, are you planning to install a heater? If so, you may find that the 3/4" brace for the dash hoop interferes with the heater body. If so, the easiest solution is to cut out the brace...which means you'll have to rethink your aluminum firewall brace.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Tony, are you planning to install a heater? If so, you may find that the 3/4" brace for the dash hoop interferes with the heater body. If so, the easiest solution is to cut out the brace...which means you'll have to rethink your aluminum firewall brace.

John
    Or move the heater a bit outboard. It is very close, but fits as the template indicates but one of the air outlets comes out right at the 3/4" tubing support. It will work, but very tight.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    Or move the heater a bit outboard. It is very close, but fits as the template indicates but one of the air outlets comes out right at the 3/4" tubing support. It will work, but very tight.
    No heater planned for the build, just heated seats, so I should be good to go. Appreciate the input though and hopefully it will benefit another builder considering the heater install.

Post Thanks / Like
    After a six week hiatus I got back into the garage this past weekend to pick back up with final panel fitment and to tackle the Russ Thompson drop trunk kit. The kit is high quality and the instructions provided by Russ are very detailed. I still need to do some final trimming on the DS and PS edges (~1/8"), clean up some of the cuts for the cross brace clearance, and drill the holes to mate the drop trunk with the lower trunk floor. Cautionary words for those that are doing this mod: Be sure to follow the instructions about placing the rivet holes close to the edge of the flanges instead of in the center, as well as not placing the corner rivet holes too far into the corner. In both cases, doing so could make it hard to get your rivet gun into position. It's called out in the instructions, but worth repeating. For my application, I needed the corner rivets 11/16" in to account for my rivet gun. Also, Russ provides some rough marks for cutting the cross brace clearance. The one on the rear and PS were pretty close, but the one at the forward DS was off. In fact the relief required ran right through the corner. In looking at a couple of other recent builds, this appears to be true for others. Here's a couple of pics:

View of the holes close to the flange edge. I don't believe i'll have any issues with the rivets seating, but we shall see.

Completed trunk. You can see where the DS forward brace clearance is right in the corner of the box.

Lower trunk installed right after making the cuts.

Here's a bird's eye view.

Drop trunk clamped into position.

View from the PS bottom.

View from the DS bottom.
    Last edited by VAHokie; 05-07-2019 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Added pic of hole placement on flanges

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice! Thanks for all the tips on the RT drop trunk. I'm right behind you and will be tackling all the sheet metal shortly so I appreciate all the pointers.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work Tony!
    JR

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Very nice! Thanks for all the tips on the RT drop trunk. I'm right behind you and will be tackling all the sheet metal shortly so I appreciate all the pointers.
    Thanks, John. Reach out with any questions; although I'm sure you'll be just fine.

Nice work Tony!
    JR
    Thanks, Jerry. Shoot me a PM when you have some time - would love to hear how the finishing touches on the build are going.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony, You are coming right along... Won't be all that long now before you'll be looking back and thinking.... That wasn't so bad!!!

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Hit a big milestone tonight, as embarrassing as it might be, when I pseudo-installed my first parts on the car almost 5 moths to the day of receiving the kit. I say pseudo because they're not tightened down pending input from the forum, but more on that in a minute. I've spent the past couple of build days cataloging all of the parts needing (read: I wanted to have) powder coated and creating an ~100 page RFQ to be sent out to local shops. I'm not sure what friends-and-family discounts you guys are getting, or if the currency exchange rate is better where you live, but my quotes are coming back much higher than expected or budgeted (what budget?!?). I'll need to rethink my approach here, but glad I did the work so I have all the information to make a decision. On a side note, I have a nice document that outlines each parts name, part #, approx. size, picture, side notes, etc. if anyone wants a copy to do the same.

First part installed was the A Frame Transmission Mount. Why? Because at the build school they tell you to do this first before you have to contend with other parts that get in the way if you follow the sequence in the book. Before tightening everything down, curious if 1) these need to have Loctite applied to them and 2) for those who are running a TKO600, will placing it on top of the frame tabs allow enough room or does it need to be installed to the bottom of the frame tabs?

Next up was the Kleiner Mod to avoid having to drop the gas tank to get to the quick jack bolts. Despite searching all the usual suspects for the three different parts needed (coupling nuts, bolts, washers), I couldn't find one location that had everything, so I simply ordered them online at Bolt Depot. Hate paying $5 in shipping for $10 in parts, but I would have spent that driving around cobbling the parts together. Anyone have any luck painting the zinc-plated steel coupling nuts? Thinking in can scuff them up and apply some rattle can to them.

Here's a pic of the installed Kleiner Mod, from the rear of the car

I also spent some time mocking up the LCA's. As others have reported, I'll need to spread some of the tabs to get them installed.

Here's the PS Front, which will require a spacer - thoughts on whether this should be placed against the front or rear tab, or does it not matter?

Here's the PS Rear, which will also require a spacer - same question as above, does placement matter?

Here's the DS Front, which won't require a spacer, but will need to be spread ever so slightly with the threaded rod method. My type A, OCD stresses about this one not needing a spacer where all of the others do.

And here's the DS Rear, which will also require a spacer.

Post Thanks / Like
    On powder coating, I had all the aluminum panels and smaller laser cut pieces (aluminum and steel) done for ~$800 for reference. This was also in four different trips. Most of the top side of the panels will be covered but for the minor cost compared to the overall build I like the finished look and protectant.
    MKIV #9542 Complete Kit, Coyote, IRS - Delivered - 2/19/19, First start - 9/8/19, Go Cart - 9/14/19
    1965 Mustang Convertible 4v 289
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAHokie View Post
    I also spent some time mocking up the LCA's. As others have reported, I'll need to spread some of the tabs to get them installed.

Here's the PS Front, which will require a spacer - thoughts on whether this should be placed against the front or rear tab, or does it not matter?

Here's the PS Rear, which will also require a spacer - same question as above, does placement matter?

Here's the DS Front, which won't require a spacer, but will need to be spread ever so slightly with the threaded rod method. My type A, OCD stresses about this one not needing a spacer where all of the others do.

And here's the DS Rear, which will also require a spacer.
    The shims go in the rear between the LCA and forward tab.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I paid $500 for all the panels to be PC’d. I think counting everything it was 70 plus pieces. You just have to re drill the holes on some panels to remove some of the PC when riveting. I put the A frame in after I had the trans installed (supported by a jack). I put the A frame on top of the tabs so it could sit in place by itself. I didn’t put any loctite on the bolts with nylock nuts.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzzz View Post
    On powder coating, I had all the aluminum panels and smaller laser cut pieces (aluminum and steel) done for ~$800 for reference. This was also in four different trips. Most of the top side of the panels will be covered but for the minor cost compared to the overall build I like the finished look and protectant.
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    I paid $500 for all the panels to be PC’d. I think counting everything it was 70 plus pieces. You just have to re drill the holes on some panels to remove some of the PC when riveting. I put the A frame in after I had the trans installed (supported by a jack). I put the A frame on top of the tabs so it could sit in place by itself. I didn’t put any loctite on the bolts with nylock nuts.
    My list is a little bigger (~85 pieces) but 3-4x what you guys are quoting. I've found a reputable guy through a local cars & coffee who has an industrial size oven in his garage that charges $40/bake. I may use a professional shop for the pieces that will be visible and everything else through him.

Post Thanks / Like
    On an unrelated note, I received the last of my POL parts which comprised mostly of small odds and ends with the 302 headers being the main item. When I inquired with FFR over the past couple of months on when the outstanding items were going to be delivered, they said they were waiting on a retooled set of 302 headers. Expecting the single headers I have seen others receive, I was surprised to find that the headers now come in two pieces and also incorporate an O2 bung integrated into it already. I'm not sure the reason for the two different pieces, but suspect it has something to do with adjustability to ensure better alignment coming out the opening.

Post Thanks / Like
    On an unrelated note, I received the last of my POL parts which comprised mostly of small odds and ends with the 302 headers being the main item. When I inquired with FFR over the past couple of months on when the outstanding items were going to be delivered, they said they were waiting on a retooled set of 302 headers. Expecting the single headers I have seen others receive, I was surprised to find that the headers now come in two pieces and also incorporate an O2 bung integrated into it already. I'm not sure the reason for the two different pieces, but suspect it has something to do with adjustability to ensure better alignment coming out the opening.

WOW, that looks great!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure the reason for the two different pieces, but suspect it has something to do with adjustability to ensure better alignment coming out the opening.
    Correct; the ball flange will allow up, down, in, out.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you specify that you are using efi to get the o2 bung or do they all come with it installed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
    Did you specify that you are using efi to get the o2 bung or do they all come with it installed?
    I believe it comes standard now as I didn't specify carb/EFI.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe it comes standard now as I didn't specify carb/EFI.
    That is perfect for me. I am planning some sort of fuel injection (My wet dream is an 8-stack type), and i've been wondering where to get the bung welded on as welding isn't my forte. Also no need for the wedges anymore, i love it!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've made some good progress over the weekend on the IFS. Buttoned up the LCAs after getting some feedback from CraigS on this thread. I greased all the fittings with Royal Purple, paying mind not to overdue the boots so as not to bust the seals. I added enough to where I started to see the boot expand. Does this look like enough? I also added the torque marks to the bolts to keep an eye for any movement down the road.

Here are the complete LCAs. On the PS I had to use a spacer on the on front tab of both the rear and front mounts. For the DS I had to use a spacer for just the front tab of the rear mount.

Here's a pick of the boots - Do they look like they have enough grease or should I add more?

Post Thanks / Like
    Next up was the UCAs. I had already made the necessary changes and mods to the sleeves, see post #73 in my build thread and Fixit’s build thread, post #273 and on. The provided pivot balls went on surprisingly easy. Drop of Loctite blue and into the bench vise to tighten them down as instructed in the manual. Unfortunately, I don't have my F-panels powder coated yet, so the UCAs are on temporarily. I proceeded to work on the shocks, first going through the recommended adjustment process. Next up was screwing the spring seat down on the sleeve. Unfortunately, one of the coil sleeves has some thread damage and it won't allow the sprint seat to thread on. Email sent to FFR about getting a replacement so that parts on hold.

Here's the dust cover lifted up exposing the button.

With the shocks on hold, I proceed to remove the ABS sensor rings from the hub assemblies using a three jaw puller. I was able to get them to the edge with a piece of steel but had to get creative to get it the rest of the way off, finally resorting to a large socket on the back of the hub with the steel resting on top of it. I placed a shop rag between the socket and back of the hub to provide some protection. Little hard to see in this pic, but this did the trick.

Post Thanks / Like
    On an unrelated note, I received the last of my POL parts which comprised mostly of small odds and ends with the 302 headers being the main item. When I inquired with FFR over the past couple of months on when the outstanding items were going to be delivered, they said they were waiting on a retooled set of 302 headers. Expecting the single headers I have seen others receive, I was surprised to find that the headers now come in two pieces and also incorporate an O2 bung integrated into it already.
    Wow! I am envious of those headers.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    While I'm waiting on my replacement coil sleeve to show up, decided to start tackling components of the IRS. First up was replacing the wheel studs that come installed on the hubs. My neighbor, who is an ex-Ford mechanic, has an air hammer and it made quick work of the studs that came installed in the hubs.

The hubs suffered a few dings from the air hammer but nothing I'm too concerned about.

As I was pulling in my second stud, I recalled a few others had notched the heads to avoid clearance issues with the bearing seal. Took a look at the first one I installed and sure enough, it was touching.

I stewed on this all day, reached out to a few guys on the forum to see what they encountered/did and recommended (thanks for your input, everyone!). Ultimately decided to back out the two that were in and notch the heads with an angle grinder. Plenty of clearance now and I have peace of mind.

To pull the studs through, I used the same technique that most everyone else does: hub in a vise, two hardened washer, a hardened bolt, 3/4 inch socket and good ol fashioned brute force. Actually, it wasn't terribly hard.

Here's a shot of a complete hub, the studs that were removed, and all the tools used for the job.
    Last edited by VAHokie; 06-20-2019 at 09:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good work, Tony
    JR

35. Likes VAHokie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good work, Tony
    JR
    Thanks, Jerry. Replacement coil sleeve arrived yesterday so I'll be back on the IFS this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Replacement coil sleeve was also damaged and wouldn't accept the shock seat. Email to FFR and hope to have another one this upcoming week. A little frustrating, but I recognize it's not their fault and they were great in getting a new one out to me this past week without delay. I trust it'll be the same this week. Without the shock sleeve, I couldn't wrap up the IFS, but I did proceed with building one of the shocks.

Here's the completed shock. To appease my type A, OCD personality, I made sure the FFR writing was right side up.

Here's a pic of the snap ring - placed the gap opposite the opening on the hat - will this present an issue accessing/removing once installed? I see in the manual they have it a quarter turn to the side.

I decided to move onto the steering rack next. I purchased the offset bushings from Breeze and the first order of business was removing the bushings that came installed in the FFR supplied rack. I was able to knock the first one out with a socket and hammer.

The other wasn't budging with this method, I must have spent 15-20 minutes pounding away at it. I opted to use the three jaw puller with one of the removed IRS studs as a flat surface against the bushing head and that made quick work of it.

With the supplied bushings out, it was time to put the Breeze bushings in. One slid right in and the other was slightly oversized. A 1.5lb dead blow hammer did the trick. After installing the DS with the FFR supplied bolt, I encountered the PS rear tab hole was undersized. I think i'll need to drill out the hole slightly. which i'll tackle tomorrow or this week.
    Last edited by VAHokie; 06-22-2019 at 10:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RJD View Post
    Wow! I am envious of those headers.
    Interesting , I’ll have to check on this. Received my headers about two weeks ago as it was the last POL item but haven’t opened it yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a pic of the snap ring - placed the gap opposite the opening on the hat - will this present an issue accessing/removing once installed? I see in the manual they have it a quarter turn to the side.
    Wouldn't worry about it. You won't be taking that apart very often if at all. At least not with the shock installed. Easy enough to rotate around if necessary.

After installing the DS with the FFR supplied bolt, I encountered the PS rear tab hole was undersized. I think i'll need to drill out the hole slightly. which i'll tackle tomorrow or this week.
    I'd recommend not drilling out the hole. That's going to take a big bite of metal where it's not needed. Make the hole a slot toward where you need the material removed. Easy with a die grinder or whatever. If you don't have that, a little bit of sweat with a round file will get the job done. Pretty common "adjustment" for those holes BTW.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Wouldn't worry about it. You won't be taking that apart very often if at all. At least not with the shock installed. Easy enough to rotate around if necessary.

I'd recommend not drilling out the hole. That's going to take a big bite of metal where it's not needed. Make the hole a slot toward where you need the material removed. Easy with a die grinder or whatever. If you don't have that, a little bit of sweat with a round file will get the job done. Pretty common "adjustment" for those holes BTW.
    Thanks for the note on the steering rack hole, Paul. I'll take a die grinder or round file to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with Paul. I used a Dremel to open up one side a little where there was interference. Once you get it in make sure the rack is centered before you tighten everything down. This is where the offset bushings really help.
    MKIV #9542 Complete Kit, Coyote, IRS - Delivered - 2/19/19, First start - 9/8/19, Go Cart - 9/14/19
    1965 Mustang Convertible 4v 289
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzzz View Post
    Agree with Paul. I used a Dremel to open up one side a little where there was interference. Once you get it in make sure the rack is centered before you tighten everything down. This is where the offset bushings really help.
    Thanks, Cruzzz. I have the alignment thread bookmarked and will be taking care of that. On that note, my one bushing I had to coerce in has no side to side movement given how tight the fit is. I'll have to take a look at that to ensure I have the needed adjustability.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast