Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818R rear lateral link upgrade on 818S

Post Thanks / Like

818R rear lateral link upgrade on 818S

I'm just about ready to install the 818r upgrade on the rear lateral links on my 818s. The instructions say to drill out the existing bolt holes out to accommodate the larger bolt. My question is for those of you that have done this mod is when drilling out the holes, how do you make sure your drilling straight?
    The drill bit that I have won't reach thru both holes. So if I'm off even a little bit the bolt won't fit thru both holes. I don't want to mess this up, so any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by flynntuna; 12-23-2018 at 10:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It has been a few years now and I had to look through my fab tool box. I made a drill guide out of a 1/2 inch ID tubing, Honestly I don't think i used it on the second tab I think once I got through the first tab the bit self centered on the other.
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 12-22-2018 at 12:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can use a step drill on the first, that would keep it centered. Then, like Mitch said, that first hole should keep a regular drill bit steady enough for the second hole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you using a drill bit that is long enough to run thru both tabs? I currently don't have a long enough bit to do that, and the photo in the directions doesn't show that. Mitch, using a 1/2" drill guide when the drill bit is 5/8" leaves me just scraping my head. I'm a little dense, I just can't visualize how it works. Is it sacrificial? Do you drill thru the tab and the tube? Geezz why should something that should be so easy be stopping me?

Post Thanks / Like
    Duh, yes you are correct 5/8's bit is need. Like i said 2 years is a long time in my world.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just drilled each side with a cordless hand drill. I mounted the spindle in a vise like the photo in the instructions and just went slow and steady. Its not as hard as you think. The stock hole tends to self center the larger bit as it goes through. Use light cutting oil while you drill.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok maybe I'm just over thinking this, I'll try it that way.
    It just seems like if one side is drilled at a slight angle say a 1/16'' off and the bolt won't go through the other side is it ruined or can you widened the hole till it fits in?

Post Thanks / Like
    Your over thinking it. A 5/8" bolt has a slightly smaller diameter than a 5/8" drill for clearance. Unless your grossly off in your drilling it will be fine. Just take your time, like I said the drill bit tends to self center and align in the original hole.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A