Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel Line Placement

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Line Placement

I have a question about proximity of metal fuel lines to the muffler. How close is too close? Outside of drilling a hole in the frame and snaking a line through it , I am not sure how to get very far away from the exhaust system.
    IMG_2469.jpeg
    IMG_2470.jpeg

I am sure this has been asked before but I am not finding it through the search feature.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there, something looks off in the way the muffler is sitting, here is the setup as I have it, there is a lot of room between the muffler and the frame.
    20180519_220539.jpg 20180519_220535.jpg 20180519_220601.jpg
    I have a good 3" between them and they run along the frame

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    The farther you place fuel and brake lines from the exhaust the better. Also, these critical lines should be routed so that they are protected by the chassis in case of a crash -- i.e., don't run them on the outside of the chassis tubing. Brake lines can be run through the cockpit but never run fuel lines through the cockpit. And don't let anyone convince you to run either near the driveshaft -- a very bad idea.

If you're concerned that you can't get them far enough away from the exhaust heat there are many methods of insulating and shielding fuel and brake lines. But the most effective is distance so don't rely on insulation and shielding alone -- best to use a belt and suspender approach. Move them as far as possible from the heat source and if it still seems too close add insulation and or shielding.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Bummer, it sounds like I will need to take it back out to the exhaust shop to cut and reweld the whole system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by reckerd View Post
    Bummer, it sounds like I will need to take it back out to the exhaust shop to cut and reweld the whole system.
    Mine were installed out of the box as you see, I will grab a few more of the underside if I have it back on my lift. Here's how we routed it through the back end.
    20180929_175139.jpg 20180922_160150.jpg (disregard the beer can temp gas cap)
    Its not the way the book says however we felt it had more room this way, others have routed to the inside more like in the book. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by reckerd View Post
    I have a question about proximity of metal fuel lines to the muffler. How close is too close? Outside of drilling a hole in the frame and snaking a line through it , I am not sure how to get very far away from the exhaust system.
    IMG_2469.jpeg
    IMG_2470.jpeg

I am sure this has been asked before but I am not finding it through the search feature.
    It appears the mufflers are mounted wrong. The outlet should be on the outboard side and the bolt mounting the rear hanger will interfere with the floor. Also someone said the muffler seams should be mounted down.
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Starting out I had the fuel line running down the inside of the frame on the passenger side. The outlet was into a regulator on the firewall. I was experiencing terrible issues after running the car a while. Turns out the regulator was getting so hot it was boiling the fuel. Amazing I didn't kill myself. So I changed to a non regulated fuel pump, had way too much pump on the car. I routed the fuel line up the center of the passenger side, since I did not use the FFR mufflers. I ran the line through a 3/4 inch aluminum tube and some conduit then heat wrapped the **** out of the entire setup. My long term fuel heating problems went away immediately.

This is the original line routing
    IMG_0721.jpg
    This is the line running up the middle
    IMG_1347.jpg
    This is the aluminum encased fuel line
    IMG_1349.jpg
    This is from the back looking forward
    IMG_1350.jpg
    This is where it runs up over the transmission
    to the middle of the engine away from the headers
    IMG_1351.jpg
    This is where the line ties into the fuel pump
    IMG_1352.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for all of the replies. I love the community this forum has and the eagerness to help.
    It is much appreciated.