BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mustang Cobra stock Ebrake question

Post Thanks / Like

Mustang Cobra stock Ebrake question

Good afternoon,

A couple questions to the group as I try and get my ebrake working. Think I suspect the issue, but want to double check

The car/parts:
    --Base Kit, Ford 8.8, three link, 99'-04' cobra brakes mounted towards front of caliper
    --Mustang ebrake: Ford OEM 87-98 (#F5ZZ2780AA)
    --Cables: ACDelco 68.9" 99'-04' Passenger Side Parking Brake Cable Assembly (#18P2507)
    ACDelco 70.9" 99'-04' Driver Side Parking Brake Cable Assembly (#18P2506)
    --Front cable: Motorcraft BRCA242 99'-04'{#F9ZZ2A603BA}

Tried searching, but couldn't find a good write up for stock mustang ebrakes. If anyone knows one, please let me know. From the base kit manual, it says use the cables that came with the stock brakes (99-04) and to mount them in the bracket near the handle. Assuming they mean this bracket right behind the ebrake on the passenger side of trans tunnel:

bracket.jpg

Doing this, it does not seem like I will ever be able to get enough tension on the cables. When I do mount them, the front cable is way too long and will not tension. Any ideas? Should I go with the longer 87' mustang brake cables and mount them to the bracket further up? Is this headache because I mis-matched handle and cables? If so, which would be better to swap out?

Additional pics of components:

mountedhandle.jpg

tensioner.jpg

I removed the spring tension pin, and will have to rewind the ebrake later. But for now, just want to make sure I have the correct setup. Thanks.

-Andrew
    Mk IV base kit #9273 Delivered 1/29/2018
    3-link Moser 8.8 3.55
    TKO 600
    427w by Fordstrokers w/Holly sniper efi/hyperspark distro and ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    I would try mounting them in the farther back bracket near the driveshaft before buying more parts. Also you may need to run the cables under the 4 inch tube.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the suggestion Mark. I should have mentioned I tried that and the cables are then way too short in that config. I guess I could try and find a much longer front cable. I will get some photos of both conifgs in the morning to try and show the issue better.
    Mk IV base kit #9273 Delivered 1/29/2018
    3-link Moser 8.8 3.55
    TKO 600
    427w by Fordstrokers w/Holly sniper efi/hyperspark distro and ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a Lokar (brass) piece to install my ebrake cables. The cables, shortened to a suitable length, were fed through the chassis bracket, not visible on the left, into the brass block and clamped with the set screws. The piece that connects the handle short cable and the brass block is an older Chev Camero piece. Notice I have about 1 inch of adjustment remaining in between the two nuts. The system works like a charm and no need to run cables under the 4” tubes.

346AD06D-356D-4F1A-A788-6B55ED98A440.jpeg
    MKIV #8740, Canadian base kit, Picked up Dec. 2015, ‘98 Cobra 4.6 l DOHC, T45 transmission, old style IRS, Art Cuesta dieted harness/Ron Francis chassis harness, go-cart July 2018.