FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: GTM with V12

Post Thanks / Like

GTM with V12

The GTM is not a replica and as such is not associated with any prt, power plant. Even though builders I have contacted have told me only a V8 would fit. Something to do with the exhaust!.....Do anybody know what will fit Let us say a BMW-V12

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I don't think it's the exhaust in my opinion... the LS as it is in length just about hits firewall... moving it aft in the car then will cause the transaxle to move aft and then you start to mess with half shafts and the back of the transmission getting close to the back of the car; not to mention adapting a BMW to Porsche transaxle (assuming you were planning on using that part) ....BUT! …. anything is possible. There is a guy making a Gen 3 Coupe into a 4 wheel drivetrain - first out there I believe.. I had a NA LS3 440/440 RWHP/TQ GTM and it was nasty fast -Just curious - is it the # of cylinders that is drawing you to the BMW or just wanted something different? I have often thought to put a H6 twin turbo into a GTM... what a hoot that would be!

anyway... good luck and welcome to the forum!
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

3. Likes Cobra 61 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would be sure to consider the reality of using a more exotic power plant like that V12. What electronics would you use to control that engine? How will you integrate it with the other systems on the vehicle? Are you prepared to pay import (even worse - German) shop labor rates if a problem arises that you can’t fix yourself? The LS series is popular because it can be an affordable way to make respectable power with readily accessible domestic parts. Given that you can build with an LS7 to make big power, I don’t really see a need to roll the dice on a high end import engine. It’s firmly in the category of things I’d love to see but have no desire to pay for.

That being said, if you’re serious about pursuing this, it goes with out saying that we expect a build thread with lots of pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fobermueller View Post
    The GTM is not a replica and as such is not associated with any prt, power plant. Even though builders I have contacted have told me only a V8 would fit. Something to do with the exhaust!.....Do anybody know what will fit Let us say a BMW-V12
    Along with what others have stated:

It's not the exhaust. The chief designer stated the they tried to fit the corvette power train, but it was just too long for the GTM envelope

Measure the size of LS motor with transaxle, compare those findings to the size of the BMW V12 with transaxle. I think your will find quite a bit of difference. If you do, and still want to go with the V12 you will save yourself a lot of time and headaches, by designing the chassis from a clean sheet to fit your power-train of choice.

Than after that your going to have to get the body to fit the new dimensions of the chassis, which will bring more and new exciting decisions, I like to call it the Cascading Decision process, or more commonly it's called law of cause and effect.

Ron
    Last edited by Presto51; 12-22-2018 at 02:31 PM.
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    Where there is a will, there is a way. If you haven't seen this article, it's worth a read:

https://www.rcnmag.com/garage/one-of-a-kind-cobra

For those that thought stuffing a 427 into a Cobra was an engineering feat, this guy put a bit more than twice the cubes in his!
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    from the title, I thought it was about this: https://www.enginelabs.com/news/vide...ts-u-s-shores/

Post Thanks / Like
    In a nutshell, the LS engine is short and very narrow.....and is still a VERY tight fit in the GTM engine bay. This means that any engine bigger than an LS engine is going to require chassis modifications in order to fit.....and as Ron hinted at above...once you start making chassis modifications, you'll find that the body no longer fits, the interior needs to be modified, the seats no longer fit, the fuel tanks no longer fit, the axles no longer line up with the transaxle, etc, etc, etc.....
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts