Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Roadster full body PPF

Post Thanks / Like

Roadster full body PPF

Has anyone done a full body PPF on a roadster? All previous threads I've read indicate that because of the complex curves of the roadster body it would take a lot cuts and pieces to wrap a roadster body. However, I just came across this video where it looks like they were able to wrap a Mk4 roadster with what looks like minimal cutting. It's possible that there's some creative editing going here, or hiding seams under stripes, but it's intriguing nonetheless. I have no idea how stretchy/flexible clear PPF is compared to the colored 3M film they used in this video, but the result looked pretty good to me. I plan to talk to my local Xpel installer when I have the car back from paint, but thought I'd see if anyone else here has done it successfully. (all the necessary thread caveats: I would plan to wait at least three months for the paint to cure before having PPF installed. If you're of the "just drive it and don't worry about the paint" variety, just move along... nothing to see here).

MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

2. Likes Sharris2, Mike.Bray, Geoff H liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's cool. I've wondered about wrapping in a brushed aluminum look. Kind of poor man's Kirkham lol
    My build thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Roadster-Build

Thread on Stainless Steel AN brake lines.

Thread on fasteners and torque wrenches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Bray View Post
    That's cool. I've wondered about wrapping in a brushed aluminum look. Kind of poor man's Kirkham lol
    I’ve seen one (it was a Shell Valley). Looked pretty good from 15 feet or so—-up close not so much.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Watching just for the music.. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    There have been several wrapped cobras. One of the guys on the Factory Five Builder FB page just completed a wrap using polished aluminum vinyl w/ matte stripes. Looked pretty cool like a Kirkham. This thread has popped up often and the consensus seems to be (1) for the wrap to look good, you still have to do all the bodywork and prep which is what really drives the cost of a paint job, and (2) once the body work is done, the cost of a wrap isn't much cheaper than actually painting the car. The only benefit of a wrap would be if you are looking for a finish that you can't get out of paint, like the metallic look (aluminum, chrome, copper, color-shift if that's your think, etc).
    Darryl [dbo_texas]
    MKIV #9644 (build thread) (Index)
    MK4 Complete Kit | Gen2 crate Coyote | Tremec T56, 3.55 IRS | power steering | hydroboost | dual roll bars | FFR carbon fiber dash | 18" Halibrands + Wilwoods | RT drop trunk kit & turn signal | front battery mount | saddle leather Intatrim Stoneleigh seats + interior accents

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree about the bodywork. My question is specific to clear PPF over paint, rather than a wrap. Based on videos I've watched, PPF appears to be less stretchy than wrap and goes on with a soapy water solution vs. heat gun, so may not be able to be applied as cleanly as shown in the video above.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey John, SJDave ppf'd his cobra by himself. I couldn't tell until I looked at it carefully. He only did the front tho, not the whole thing.
    Mk4 Roadster: Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, T56 Magnum. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had my Gen 3 coupe clear wrapped 100% it took a pro a full week to do it. Our roads have lots of stones on them and it should reduce the paint chips. They used a film called Stek, the dirt and bugs just rinse off with water and I use a micro fibre cloth to dry. 2 Summers and so far it still looks perfect.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Xpel sells a precut kit. Not a one piece but will cover all the high wear areas