Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Forte Hydraulic Clutch Install/Body on

Post Thanks / Like

Forte Hydraulic Clutch Install/Body on

Anyone with experience installing Mike's hydraulic clutch setup on an MK4 with the body on???

Spoke to Mike a few weeks ago and batted the idea around and he said it would be very difficult to near impossible to do with the body in place. Just want to get a difficulty level from anyone that has done the deed.

I aim to ditch the cable setup some how, some way ...........

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not done it with the body on but did install his hydraulic clutch during the build. I would agree it’s pretty much impossible with the body on, I believe you will have to disassemble the wilwood pedal box to remove the clutch quadrant and cant see doing that in the car. Even just installing the MC will be tough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Open the access cover on the DS footbox (assuming you have one) and check for access to the MC position for the clutch. As already stated, you would need to remove the FF cable setup and replace with the MC. Between access from the open cover and underneath from the cockpit (no fun) might be possible. But you'll have to judge. The only thing is, even with the body off it's not going to help unless you remove aluminum panels that are likely already permanently fastened. Like the entire top of the DS footbox. Maybe even the outside piece. So there's no free lunch with the body off either. Bolting the bracket and slave to the transmission and hooking things up there shouldn't be an issue.
    Last edited by edwardb; 12-24-2018 at 10:20 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    First, you do have the Wilwood (or other) pedal box that supports three hydraulic cylinders, right? Assuming so, I think the first crux is going to be removing the cable set up. Assuming you can do that, the next crux is going to be installing the master hydraulic cylinder & connecting it to your clutch pedal. On the Wilwood pedal box, the clutch master is directly above the fuse panel. It's not going to be any fun plumbing the reservoir & slave lines either.

Also, mounting the slave may be tricky depending on your transmission (that's a T5 in the photo below). Mike's bracket goes under a couple of the bolts that secure the transmission to the bell housing.

Finally, depending on your pedal set up, you may need to add a clutch stop so that the master cylinder stop isn't taking the full brunt of your leg extension.

Take a look at Post #258, 262, 264, and 394 of my build log (https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...r-build-8.html) to get a feel for the work involved.

John

IMG_2756 by jhsitton, on Flickr

IMG_2512 by jhsitton, on Flickr
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    Also, mounting the slave may be tricky depending on your transmission (that's a T5 in the photo below). Mike's bracket goes under a couple of the bolts that secure the transmission to the bell housing.
    Good thorough response. Agree with this part, although it's not a body on/off question. It's whether or not the bolts in question are reachable with the engine/trans installed.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

6. Thanks phileas_fogg thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    First, you do have the Wilwood (or other) pedal box that supports three hydraulic cylinders, right? Assuming so, I think the first crux is going to be removing the cable set up. Assuming you can do that, the next crux is going to be installing the master hydraulic cylinder & connecting it to your clutch pedal. On the Wilwood pedal box, the clutch master is directly above the fuse panel. It's not going to be any fun plumbing the reservoir & slave lines either.

Finally, depending on your pedal set up, you may need to add a clutch stop so that the master cylinder stop isn't taking the full brunt of your leg extension.

Take a look at Post #258, 262, 264, and 394 of my build log (https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...r-build-8.html) to get a feel for the work involved.

John

Yes, I have the Wilwood pedal box and master cylinder setup and a T5 tranny (currently out of the car being rebuilt).

Sounds like this upgrade based on what you and Paul have said, might be biting off more than I am willing to chew. I'm having Kliener paint the car and I know he usually does a body-off job. Might make sense to address the upgrade at that time.

In hindsight, should have gone down this rabbit hole when I was building the drive-line but you don't know what you don't know and I surely didn't at the time.

I'm going take a closer examination of access to all parts involved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do it while the body is off. Just drill out the rivets for the top of the foot box. Had to re drill a pedal from power to manual with the body on, what tough job. Richard.
    Richard Oben FFR builder www.northracecars.com

Need help finishing your project we can help here or at your shop.

FFR GTM #34 first GTM with working AC. 400 hp LS1 w/G50
    FFR coupe 3617CP 331 Stack EFI T-5 IRS Cobra brakes, AC/heat.
    Both cars by NRC, we can build (and have built) any FFR product.
    We also make and sell a ton of great parts for the FFR community.
    Brake kits, AC systems, #1 supplier of Team III wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Correct me if I am over simplifying this task. As I see it, I can easily get to every area/component fairly easily from the top of the foot box access panel. I may need to make room for the clutch master by redirecting bolt heads in another direction on my two brake masters but......

1. Remove clutch cable from fork.
    2. Release cable from clutch pedal cable quadrant.
    3. Remove cable/fire wall adjuster.
    4. Remove cable quadrant from pedal
    5. Install Wilwood supplied clevis hardware to top of pedal.
    6. Bleed master.
    7. Mount master in Wilwood pedal box location
    8. Connect pedal clevis to master.

The rest seems to me to be trivial. Am I over simplifying what is needed at the top of the clutch pedal? Do I actually need to remove the pedal? If I remember correctly, the clutch quadrant is mounted with one bolt and subsequently stabilized by "fingers" spread across the pedal web. I can very easily get at that bolt. I am making a huge assumption that its this hole in the pedal is where the clevis attaches to master. If that is true, I really don't see this being a big deal.

The other option I have bantered around is mounting the master outside of the firewall (American Powertrain or Mcleod). But from what "think" is needed, I really don't see installing Mike's setup as a big deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm looking at the instructions for the Wilwood pedal box installation. Appears the brake masters mount through holes and bolt on via a bracket. How does Mike's Master mount in the pedal box? That little snafu could be the show stopper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RickP View Post
    I'm looking at the instructions for the Wilwood pedal box installation. Appears the brake masters mount through holes and bolt on via a bracket. How does Mike's Master mount in the pedal box? That little snafu could be the show stopper.
    The Wilwood brake masters mount on studs that are on the back of the pedal box. Mike provides an identical looking MC for the clutch, just different interior bore, that mounts exactly the same way in the third position in line with the clutch pedal arm.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, here I come with what to me is an obvious question---why do you want to change from cable to hydraulic? Do you have some super heavy pressure plate or ????

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    The Wilwood brake masters mount on studs that are on the back of the pedal box. Mike provides an identical looking MC for the clutch, just different interior bore, that mounts exactly the same way in the third position in line with the clutch pedal arm.
    Well that does complicate matters slightly. Hmmmm

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    OK, here I come with what to me is an obvious question---why do you want to change from cable to hydraulic? Do you have some super heavy pressure plate or ????

Jeff
    Look at Jeff Kleiner chiming in. I'm not a fan of the cable setup. It's already stretched and knocks up against my oil filter. Pedal feel is ok I suppose. I can certainly live with it but there is definitely a better mouse trap out there. My biggest issue with the cable setup is getting it adjusted just right and keeping it adjusted just right. Right now, I have to let the pedal almost all the way out in order for the clutch to grab. I take slack out of the cable and get the right feel where it grabs only to have it stretched later in time.

One reason I was looking at the internal bearing setup like American Powertrain sells is they are self adjusting to my understanding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RickP View Post
    ...My biggest issue with the cable setup is getting it adjusted just right and keeping it adjusted just right. Right now, I have to let the pedal almost all the way out in order for the clutch to grab. I take slack out of the cable and get the right feel where it grabs only to have it stretched later in time.

A genuine Ford cable rather than one from offshore like you'd get at the parts store (or with the Complete kit---sorry to have to say that FFR) will go a long way towards eliminating that. Just sayin'

Jeff (President of the K.I.S.S. Club)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    A genuine Ford cable rather than one from offshore like you'd get at the parts store (or with the Complete kit---sorry to have to say that FFR) will go a long way towards eliminating that. Just sayin'

Jeff (President of the K.I.S.S. Club)
    I was just looking at my parts spreadsheet wondering if I had upgraded to the Ford cable. Nope, I suspect I have the cable that was included with the kit. For the cost of the Ford part, might be best to give it a try and see how it goes rather than busting my knuckles.

Rick (President of my cat, sometimes).

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_0610.jpg

This is what my FFR supplied cable looked like after 1200 miles! Car had to be towed home. DO NOT use that cheap POS. Only bad part I received from FFR and I let them know, don't know if they changed suppliers or not. Genuine Ford cable feels 100% better and looks a lot stronger, I do not expect problems with it.
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BB767 View Post
    IMG_0610.jpg

This is what my FFR supplied cable looked like after 1200 miles! Car had to be towed home. DO NOT use that cheap POS. Only bad part I received from FFR and I let them know, don't know if they changed suppliers or not. Genuine Ford cable feels 100% better and looks a lot stronger, I do not expect problems with it.
    Ooooofa!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ford Performance M-7553-C302 Adj. Clutch Cable is the one I've used before and I've seen mentioned multiple times on the forums. Very nice quality piece and recommended. Widely available in the $50-$60 range. Certainly start there if you're running the stock kit cable. You might be happy with the difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Ford Performance M-7553-C302 Adj. Clutch Cable is the one I've used before and I've seen mentioned multiple times on the forums. Very nice quality piece and recommended. Widely available in the $50-$60 range. Certainly start there if you're running the stock kit cable. You might be happy with the difference.
    Your spot on as usual Paul. I ordered that part last night and it's 55.00 delivered to my front door. If this easy fix resolves the issues I have experienced with the supplied clutch cable, it will be a home run.