Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Back to square one on paint choice

Post Thanks / Like

Back to square one on paint choice

I thought I had settled on a paint color (BMW Azurite Black) until I received a sample of it from Jeff along with a few other similar colors. What looks brilliant in bright sunlight is simply black in most every other light condition. So, I'm back to square one. I love the blue/white color combo (Indigo Ink Pearl is about perfect), but it is just so common. Another blue that I've seen that I like is Huntington Blue Pearl, but again, it may be too black in normal light. I also like the gunmetal colors with black, silver, or white stripes. My wife likes reds, and Jazman's color choice is stunning when it comes to the red color family. I had a 1991 Ford Explorer that was Dark Toreador Red that had some nice metallic in the bronze family that I really liked.

About the only thing I'm certain of right now is the stripe configuration; two stripes with a pinstripe on the outside of the wider ones.

Dave
    Last edited by Papa; 12-24-2018 at 12:23 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    When I saw this in your build thread I was really excited to see it on your car with the stripes but it did look pretty dark. Very interested in where you land as I believe we are looking for a similar look although I may go with more of the ghosted stripes. I have also reached out to Jeff K. to talk about paint so if you could get a great color scheme worked out with him now that would be awesome! LOL! Hoping to find a dark blue with some ‘depth’ when you look at it in the sun.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know your pain. I went all over the place as I was building. I started with blue / white, went to silvers, greys, and finally black / dark silver. The good thing is that I have never had a regret with my final choice.
    My only advice would be to stay away from "trend" colors. They are great, but not for long.
    Indigo Ink is a tough one to beat as far as blue goes.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You Can't Go Wrong With Red, Any Red!

There are some spectacular RED cars out there like Jazzman's and Edwardb's among others.
    Since I'm not a fan of metallic paints, I'm going to be using 2016 Dodge Challenger Torred.

Check Out Carol Shelby's CSX #3178 Shown Below Which Was RED:
    https://youtu.be/FJpASOjJWa8

Then There Is The Ultimate Barn Find Cobra That Was Also RED:
    https://youtu.be/dnU9jcOEE2o

Heck, The Fastest Open Top Cobra (Owned By The Late/Great Dick Smith) Was RED Too:
    http://wasaac.org/dsmith/dsmith.html

Again, You Can't Go Wrong With Red!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-24-2018 at 05:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Papa and Cruzz,
    First of all Cruzz...a reply to your PM will be headed your way shortly. You guys are facing the same conundrum as Dan was when I did his car earlier this year (the samples I sent are ones I had done for him). He wanted a very dark blue with lots of flash when in the sun but didn't want it to look black in low light. That's some tough criteria---I referred to it as a unicorn color because it simply doesn't exist! We wound up going with a custom mix that was a little more blue in the sun than where we started and had to forego the "not black in low light" thing.

The stripes on this one are Chrysler "Billet". I sampled Lamborghini Titanium but it has a lot of green to it which didn't work well with either the blue or the gray leather.

I've seen a lot of guys agonize painfully over color choice and in fact the only two I can think of who had made their final decision when the cars came to me and didn't need to see spray out samples both wanted Guardsman Blue & Wimbledon White!

Try to not let it keep you up at night!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Papa and Cruzz,
    First of all Cruzz...a reply to your PM will be headed your way shortly. You guys are facing the same conundrum as Dan was when I did his car earlier this year (the samples I sent are ones I had done for him). He wanted a very dark blue with lots of flash when in the sun but didn't want it to look black in low light. That's some tough criteria---I referred to it as a unicorn color because it simply doesn't exist! We wound up going with a custom mix that was a little more blue in the sun than where we started and had to forego the "not black in low light" thing.

The stripes on this one are Chrysler "Billet". I sampled Lamborghini Titanium but it has a lot of green to it which didn't work well with either the blue or the gray leather.

I've seen a lot of guys agonize painfully over color choice and in fact the only two I can think of who had made their final decision when the cars came to me and didn't need to see spray out samples both wanted Guardsman Blue & Wimbledon White!

Jeff
    Jeff,

I can't thank you enough for the samples. They really opened my eyes and made me realize that those exotic colors I've been drawn to only look like that in the most perfect of conditions. The bluer one you sent me is beautiful, but has a bit more purple in it than I'd like. The more I contemplate what I want my car to look like, I'm thinking that the Indigo Ink Pearl is where I'll be, in spite of being such a popular choice. It's popular because it's gorgeous on these cars. What are your thoughts on the Lambo silver on the Indigo Ink Pearl? Of the silver samples you sent me, that one was my favorite.

Dave

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner;

Jeff
    I haven't changed my mind. YET.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, go light blue. . In all seriousness, picking a colour combo is tough as there are a lot of nice ones out there. Indigo Ink is definitely beautiful. Personally not a fan of red although I saw a Backdraft in a stunning red with black that was really nice so there you go, there are no “bad” colours. Well maybe not brown or pink...
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    I haven't changed my mind. YET.
    YET being the key Rich! I had one that was positively going to be solid silver all the way up until it was time for me to get paint mixed...then it changed to silver with black stripes...then solid black...then black with red stripes...all within 48 hours! Twenty four hours later the final decision had been made and it looked like this:

So yeah, YET

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I absolutely swear it won't be blue, ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    YET being the key Rich! I had one that was positively going to be solid silver all the way up until it was time for me to get paint mixed...then it changed to silver with black stripes...then solid black...then black with red stripes...all within 48 hours! Twenty four hours later the final decision had been made and it looked like this:

So yeah, YET

Jeff
    The final color choice is one I would be proud of. It’s beautiful!!!

I’m only a month or so from first start on my MK4 and still have little idea what color combination I want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    I absolutely swear it won't be blue, ever.
    Am a member of the NAB club. Not Another Blue. The blue in Jeff's paint is very very nice, just like to see other colors like Gunmetal, Red etc. Saw a really nice Green one at a show.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 12-25-2018 at 02:35 PM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, there's a reason most fire trucks are red.

Post Thanks / Like
    Different, but I like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark III complete kit ordered 12/03/2007, received #6351 1/22/2008 Homemade mods: driver footbox extension with deadpedal and dimmer switch, widened passenger footbox, brake reservoir mounting bracket, under trunk storage box, custom dash and dash extension, heater forward box, custom glove box, under dash switch panel, Explorer motor carb conversion, first start 7/10/2010, off to paint (Performance Automotive) 11/20/2010, finally home 5/7/2011, Graduated 11/22/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rootbeer Roadster View Post
    Different, but I like this.
    Gorgeous! My gut wants blue and that's where I'll go. I was really looking for something different, which is why I started looking at the Azurite Black and other similar colors. The problem is that what drew me to them was the blue, not the black. In the end, even if 75% of the Cobras (replica or otherwise) are blue, I will still be the only one around 99% of the time. I'm probably going to go with Indigo Ink Pearl and silver stripes.

Thanks,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Just out of curiosity has anyone had their car painted to look weathered, or with patina ? I think that is the route I want to go, but still haven't decided on a color. One reason being I wouldn't be so freaked out about rock chips and such.

Mike
    Mark IV 7923 arrived 11-14-12
    DOHC 4.6L, Tremec 3650, 3 Link 8.8 w/3.73

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 3yearplan View Post
    Just out of curiosity has anyone had their car painted to look weathered, or with patina ? I think that is the route I want to go, but still haven't decided on a color. One reason being I wouldn't be so freaked out about rock chips and such.

Mike
    I've been thinking that as well
    Mark IV, Boss 351c, Toploader, Levy 5 link

Post Thanks / Like
    2015 Mustang Deep Impact Blue?
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lgordon View Post
    The final color choice is one I would be proud of. It’s beautiful!!!

I’m only a month or so from first start on my MK4 and still have little idea what color combination I want.
    Jeff, I gotta ask. What is the quickest anyone has chosen a color, painted by you, and stuck with it.

Jay
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ThickCobra View Post
    Jeff, I gotta ask. What is the quickest anyone has chosen a color, painted by you, and stuck with it.

Jay
    Two of the Guardsman Blue guys stuck with it from the beginning. A recent one, Joel Davis, "JDav" here on the forum, said that was what he was going with from the very first time he contacted me and never wavered. You're pretty close---you were about 98% certain that it would be Magnetic Red II right from the beginning but we did the one extra sample just to eliminate that 2% of doubt

Jeff

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It Needs To Match Somebody Else's Cobra!

Hmmm, Who's Cobra Could That Be?

https://youtu.be/EfFekGa54ZA

Post Thanks / Like
    BMW Estoril blue? Used to be an “M” exclusive. Our M roadster was that color...beautiful car till it ended wheels up

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post

About the only thing I'm certain of right now is the stripe configuration; two stripes with a pinstripe on the outside of the wider ones.

Dave
    Dave,

Trust your painter.....it was a surprise to me how much they understand the psychology and process the owner goes through.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-STL View Post
    Dave,

Trust your painter.....it was a surprise to me how much they understand the psychology and process the owner goes through.

Bob
    Listen to Bob... he laid awake at night fretting and in the end it took both me and da' bat to talk him down off the ledge

Jeff