Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Installing heated seats, any tips for seat cover removal?

Post Thanks / Like

Installing heated seats, any tips for seat cover removal?

Prepping for heated seats, does anyone have tips for seat cover removal? Appears the bottoms are just glued on the edges?
    MK IV complete Kit - 1st time builder started Sept 2016
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS
    Power steering - Levy setup, Breeze roll bars, Thompson trunk box
    fuel injection, powder coating, sway bars, heater, wipers, 17 in wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the leather upgrade roadster seats.... It was super simple, did not really have to "remove" the covers, just slide your hand inside, then do it a second time with the seat heater. I used the 3M 77 glue around the edges that wrap around and set them down on some paper and put a couple heavy items on them overnight to let the glue dry. Just take a few minutes to think about the wires and perhaps cut the foam slot to get the wires inside and coming out where you want them. I did have to trim the seat heaters just a little in the corners, rounded them off to fit the shape of the seats, but did not cut into the heating elements. FYI, you can see the elements by holding the pads up to a light.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

3. Thanks Jacob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My experience installing the seat heaters in #8674. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post227108
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

5. Thanks Jacob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Appreciate the info!
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a note, putting the heating elements in both seats took about 30 mins, no issues, did have to remove 4 hog rings on the backs, but no big deal closing back up, since I had pliers and hog rings on hand. Where to put the switches? Still thinking?
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    Just a note, putting the heating elements in both seats took about 30 mins, no issues, did have to remove 4 hog rings on the backs, but no big deal closing back up, since I had pliers and hog rings on hand. Where to put the switches? Still thinking?

Here is where I put mine... Did not have to expand the wiring at all and in fact, except for the main 12v+ wire, all my wiring is under the seat. Just an idea.
    IMG_2779.jpg

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

9. Likes Jacob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    On a related note, a couple of questions. I'm working on installing the heating elements in the seats and couldn't find any info on a couple of parts. They say that the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask, but I'm still feeling a little stupid on this. Take a look here:

The silver sheets (one for each cushion) - I'm assuming that is the tape to hold the heating element in place on the cushion, yes?

What about the wire / connector thing?
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes; the silver stuff is tape for securing the heating elements. Because I had to trim my seat pads a bit, I used the tape to keep the nylon covering from fraying and the layers coming apart. This may be described in the instructions; take a look.

The wire / connector thing is an in-line fuse. You cut the red wire and splice the ends into your feed wire. I'm guessing it's provided for those who add a circuit to their fuse box. Since I re-purposed an existing fused circuit in the RF harness & the heaters come with in-line fuses already installed, I didn't use it.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    Yes; the silver stuff is tape for securing the heating elements. Because I had to trim my seat pads a bit, I used the tape to keep the nylon covering from fraying and the layers coming apart. This may be described in the instructions; take a look.

The wire / connector thing is an in-line fuse. You cut the red wire and splice the ends into your feed wire. I'm guessing it's provided for those who add a circuit to their fuse box. Since I re-purposed an existing fused circuit in the RF harness & the heaters come with in-line fuses already installed, I didn't use it.

John
    Thanks, John!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Two more questions specific to this thread (I'm taking this slowly so I don't mess up the seats!)
    1. Leather cover came off the bottom easily. Now I'm looking at the cushion and can fit the heating element one of two ways:
    a. with the wire exiting the seat at the front (knee end)
    b. with the wire exiting the seat at the back (butt end)
    It looks like the wire should come out the knee end in the photos, but it isn't really clear. If I install the element that way, I need to trim the length of the element. However, if I have the wire exit the cushion at the butt end, I can wrap the heating element around the front of the cushion and won't have to cut anything.

Which is correct?

2. On the seat back, once I popped off the two plastic holding strips from the metal bars, the cushion is easy to get to without further removal. Yes, once I understood how the seat is assembled it is very easy. There are two leather flaps you can see in this photo here:

The question is - does it matter whether I lay the heating element on top of those flaps, or should I peel them back and put it on the foam itself?

Thanks for your patience and your answers!

Post Thanks / Like
    1. I run the wires for the seat cushion out the back, and wrap the extra heating element around the front of the seats. The wire routing works fine that way, and I'll take very bit of extra heat that I can.

2. Not quite understanding this one. The element for both seat cushion and back is against the foam and under the covering (leather or vinyl). Once unhooked, as you described, it's relatively easy to reach up in there with the pad and get it properly positioned. I'm not sure what those extra flaps are.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I put heaters in two sets of seats. My current seats are the Kirkey's and those are easy breazy! I also have the regular roadster seats - a bit more work so I actually took those to the guy that does the upholstery for Dave Kindig of *****in Rides.
    FFR Complete MKIV Kit (#8271)
    Ordered: Jan 21, 14, Registered: Aug 19, 15
    408 Keith Craft Engine (512 hp, 534 ftlb), Tremec TKO600, Fast EFI, 8.8 Solid 3.55:1 Rear End, FFR Replica Halibrands (9 & 10-1/2"),
    Dual Chrome Roll Bars/Bumpers/Polished Exhaust, Guardsman Blue with Wimbledon White Stripes