Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Headlight covers

Post Thanks / Like

Headlight covers

I am almost finished with my 818s and saved installation of the headlight covers until the end. Right side fits fine, but the left side has about 3/4" gap. I have read the previous posts regarding heating the lens etc. I have tried using a heat gun without success, may have not heated enough, but would rather be cautious. Anyone have a better, successful way of doing this without ruining the cover?

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure you'll get better help than this, but find some similar scrap plexiglass and practice heating/bending on it first - gets you familiar with how it behaves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you know what material they are made of? Lexan, polycarbonate, plexi?

Post Thanks / Like

Good thinking

Quote Originally Posted by redbudrr View Post
    I am almost finished with my 818s and saved installation of the headlight covers until the end. Right side fits fine, but the left side has about 3/4" gap. I have read the previous posts regarding heating the lens etc. I have tried using a heat gun without success, may have not heated enough, but would rather be cautious. Anyone have a better, successful way of doing this without ruining the cover?
    You're smart to be cautious and it's even more difficult when the end is in sight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Think about changing the bend or the shape of the fender opening because the fiberglass is much more flexible than the headlight lens and once it's held n place it has a memory. Maybe make a cardboard template to compare the shape to the right side?
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Very good idea. I will try try the template. Thank you.

Bill Bess

Post Thanks / Like
    You have to heat them up until they get blurry. I freaked out at first thinking they wouldn't get transparent anymore, but as they cool down, and they do that quickly, they become transparent again.

You have to bend them, when hot, a bit more than the angle/shape you want to reach. When they cool down they tend to stretch back to original shape prior to heating up. At least that's what I encountered all the times I worked on them.

It is also very easy to make bumps everywhere if you bend by hand, cuz your fingers are making the pressure, so try to find a way to sit them on something that will give the shape you want instead of being stupid like me and doing it quickly by hands up in the air... loll I want to buy a new set cuz of that and re-do the shaping with more... professionalism, you know.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR is sending me another one, so I will have one to experiment on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another builder used suction clamps to press the lenses against the fiberglass:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post271149

I'm going to try this approach to see if the lenses will take a shape over time. If not, I'll try the heat gun.