BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Windshield Wiper - Stopped moving, motor running

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Windshield Wiper - Stopped moving, motor running

So over the last couple days I've been working on getting the windshield wipers installed. Drilled the holes with no problem. Had some problem with the stainless steel tubes that came with the kit so replaced them with NiCop tubing. Everything installed correctly, the motor works great, parks as it should, Low and High speed as expected.... the cable slide through the tubing smoothly, etc... I have not yet put the actual wiper arms on, and decided I would let the system run for a few minutes to spread the liberal amount of grease that I put on the cable throughout the tubing.... Everything seemed to be running well when all of a sudden there was a couple of what I will call skips in the cycle and then the motor is just spinning.... but the cable is not moving. Something tells me that whatever the mechanical connection is between the motor and the cable just went Kapoot..... At this time, if I turn on the key, the wiper motor is spinning, trying to go back to park, (the wiper switch is OFF) but I'm guessing that because the cable is not moving, it's internal switches are not finding park so it just keeps running. Anyone with some experience with this??? Thanks...

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    https://youtu.be/a7qJy8mYi6s
    This video from moss motors might help you out
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vspeeds View Post
    https://youtu.be/a7qJy8mYi6s
    This video from moss motors might help you out
    Thanks for the link, it is a very informative video. While it doesn't specifically address my problem, it showed me what is inside. I'm going to guess that the gear is made of some sort of plastic/vinyl and that is broken. I guess I'll just have to take the motor out and become a 10 year old self and take it apart to see what makes it tick... Joy... :-)

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600

Post Thanks / Like
    My wiper motor sat on the shelf for quite a few years during my build and wouldn't park when I did a bench test before installation. Upon disassembly, I found that the grease installed during manufacturing had become gummy and was keeping the internal mechanism from working properly. With a good cleaning and reapplication of grease, it worked fine. May be just the right medicine for yours, too.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    My wiper motor sat on the shelf for quite a few years during my build and wouldn't park when I did a bench test before installation. Upon disassembly, I found that the grease installed during manufacturing had become gummy and was keeping the internal mechanism from working properly. With a good cleaning and reapplication of grease, it worked fine. May be just the right medicine for yours, too.
    I will be getting a apart later today. That sounds like a good thought . Thank you so much for your input

Post Thanks / Like

What went wrong with my windshield wiper motor

Ok so if you are reading this and have experienced something similar, here is what happened with mine. As I was removing the motor from my car (not easy with the body installed and the heater box in there as well) what looked like a pin with a "c" clip on the end of it fell out of the housing. This was actually the axle shaft that spins in the housing and is attached to the large gear plate. It is "welded" onto the plate at the end. In my case, that weld was sub par and simply broke apart from the shaft. Thus allowing the gear to move out of reach of the motor. The motor would just continue to run and run because the gear was not spinning and hitting the parked switch.

In the standard FFR way of handling things, they are sending me a new motor right away. What awesome customer service.

This is a video that I took along with some still images that I sent to FFR for them to review.

Here is a video I shot of the damaged component: CLICK HERE

IMG_3323.jpg IMG_3322.jpg

Also, this video is an excellent video that shows how the wiper motors function and sure helped me to understand what to expect when I opened up the case. CLICK HERE
    Last edited by BadAsp427; 12-28-2018 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Added photos

7. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Likes GoDadGo liked this post