Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: roof mod (general thoughts?)

Post Thanks / Like

roof mod (general thoughts?)

Ok so I have done a carbon overlay on the roof of my roadster to coupe retrofit. I now got the idea to build a small simple frame inside the roof and cut out a removable sunroof section that can be taken in and out for nice days kind of a dual roof system. see the attached quick drawing of my idea basicly I will trace just inside the moulded in roof scoop tubing and and come across just infront of the firewall panel. then have a small metal frame that piece can sit on to give it a smooth look on top and run a foam strip and secure down when not needed.

I think this would be a cool mod, just looking at thoughts before I go and cut the nice carbon job. pics to follow that soon

thanks

[ATTACH=CONFIG]99561
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Brilliant. This would be a great outside air vent, which the 818C needs, and would look cool. I haven't measured the space between the built-in air channels, but it looks to me as if the sunroof panel would fit behind the seats. Or, on-end it might fit behind the passenger seat only. Or, it's so thin that maybe you could fit it under the front hood laying on top of the frame. The only negative I can think of is a leak around the edge but a rubber gasket and secure latch would easily solve that problem.

Do you have 2 hardtops? I notice that both are the early tops with A pillars that were cut too short.
    Happy New Year
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    no that pic is js just a random pic from the internet. my car is only a nice weather car. I did the coupe upgrade for the looks and incase I do get caught in some rain by chance. I was planning a simple seal more for vibration and if a bit of water gets on it it might drip a bit but batter than full on rain. I have not thought about storage location. there is a good chance I will have a ski box soon. and yes under the hood could be a nice spot maybe secure with straps or bungies

the plan is to bond a 1.5" flat stock all the way around the opening on the roof, drill a few holes in it add a gasget to take up the gap and on the cut out pannel I will bond studs to it. drop it on thru the drilled holes and secure with low profile thumb nuts. I think it will work good and have a different look and give you nice weather options.

cheers