Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Front splash panels

Post Thanks / Like

Front splash panels

Does anyone have pictures of the installed front splash panels? I think I have the small on in place but I am struggling with the large.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Likes coup in australia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have them just like you have them. The upper mounts to the hood and don't attach the lower to the front of the pontoon until you see how it and the hood line up. Use the splash shield to help align it with the side of the hood. I made the back portion of the lower splash shield removable, has to come off to take the body off.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think that's right. Granted I've only mocked mine up so far. But based on the instructions in the manual, plus IMO how they should be mounted, (1) The lower panel goes inside the body pontoon. Although the picture in the manual is either a previous gen or not this version of sheet metal, it does show the panel inside the pontoon fiberglass. (2) The upper splash panel aligns with the lower one. On the other side of the header from what you have pictured. That's what the manual says and I've trial fit mine and it works. They're designed to interlock sort of.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    The lower panel goes inside the pontoon, not outside as shown in your photo.

Jeff

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well... I put mine on the outside as shown and adjusted the inboard bends a little to make that happen.... reasoning... That fiberglass pontoon is gonna get completely destroyed from rocks coming off the front tire.. I put bed liner on it and it is already worn down to the aluminum.

FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you gentlemen, the splash guards are drilled and clecoed in the correct position.

Do any you know where panel 60751 goes? Has it to do with airflow and radiator?

Sigurd

60751.JPG
    Last edited by Sigurd; 12-28-2018 at 12:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Thank you gentlemen, the splash guards are drilled and clecoed in the correct position.

Do any you know where panel 60751 goes? Has it to do with airflow and radiator?

Sigurd

60751.JPG
    That looks like the top of the radiator tunnel back wall. But mine was in one piece. I haven't seen one before that was separate. Also haven't seen any other aluminum panels anywhere else that looks like that.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you! The back panel is in one piece on mine as well. The extra aluminum will most likely come in handy somewhere.

I now see how the radiator is fasten. The top mount is still to be delivered.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Coupe-R kit #170 delivered June 2019 has the 2-piece aluminum radiator tunnel back. The main large piece goes to the top of the steel frame 1.5” square-tubing, and panel “60751” looks like it is the extension piece that goes just above. No idea why it’s 2-piece, and I’d sure prefer a single piece panel instead...
    Logan's Gen 3 Coupe-R Build
    Ordered 4/23/19 | Delivered 6/29/19 | First Start 8/1/20 | First Drive 9/20/20

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    you will prefer the 2 piece when it comes time to mount the nose and you need to adjust that top piece overlap to completely seal the hood and keep the gap consistent... I had to cheat mine after I got the body all squared up and the nose had to be "tilted and twisted " to get the everything to align in the pontoon area... the only place you can tell is right in the area of the opening... I ended up having to put a second piece OVER the entire first piece and extended that into the hood area to "hide" the inconsistency... now to look at it - looks perfectly square...to the eye...
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone have pictures of the installed front splash panels? I think I have the small on in place but I am struggling with the large.
    did you ever get an answer to this? I'm still not sure where these go...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlirium View Post
    I don’t have pictures. Unfortunately, my build is on hold until the virus situation improves. The information I have is what is written in the answers to my first question
    Sigurd
    Type 65 Gen 3, 347 Fi, Tremec, IRS, Wilwood, AC, PS

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlirium View Post
    I don’t have pictures. Unfortunately, my build is on hold until the virus situation improves. The information I have is what is written in the answers to my first question
    Mine is done now. The answers I gave in post #3 are how mine was completed. I put the lower splash guard inside the pontoon. But as others have noted, putting it outside is an option too. The upper splash interlocks to the lower one (e.g. behind the header, as I mentioned before) and uses bulb seal. It fits along side the rib in the nose and along the back edge of the wheel well opening. When the hood closes, provides a complete barrier behind the front tires. Sorry I don't have any pictures on file that show it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I don't think that's right. Granted I've only mocked mine up so far. But based on the instructions in the manual, plus IMO how they should be mounted, (1) The lower panel goes inside the body pontoon. Although the picture in the manual is either a previous gen or not this version of sheet metal, it does show the panel inside the pontoon fiberglass. (2) The upper splash panel aligns with the lower one. On the other side of the header from what you have pictured. That's what the manual says and I've trial fit mine and it works. They're designed to interlock sort of.

I have a kit coming to Aus in a few months but 1 thing I am reading all the time is how poor the assembly manuals are ?? FFR should be updating them constantly by following comments in this forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by coup in australia View Post
    I have a kit coming to Aus in a few months but 1 thing I am reading all the time is how poor the assembly manuals are ?? FFR should be updating them constantly by following comments in this forum.
    I'm not going to suggest the build manuals are perfect or don't have room for improvement. But I wouldn't characterize them as "poor." The Gen 3 Coupe manual is relatively new and I think you'll find a valuable resource for your build. Is every single detail described? No. But there are so many possible combinations of parts possible for these builds I think it's an unrealistic expectation to find every possibility documented. It will take some time and effort on your part in some cases. The forum is a valuable resource for this and additional details and questions where needed. Probably my biggest complaint about the build manuals, including the Gen 3 Coupe, is they tend to use stock pictures that sometimes don't match the build. There are older gen Coupe pictures, even Roadster pictures, in the Gen 3 Coupe manual. So don't get too literal with pictures if the details don't match exactly. Also, many options are documented in separate instructions. Bunch of them here: http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/instructions/. The Ron Francis wiring guide, including especially the schematic, is a huge resource. FWIW, the build manuals are significantly better than in the past.
    Last edited by edwardb; 12-02-2020 at 07:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been one to criticize the manual BUT their phone support more than makes up for the deficiencies. Dave B. is my go to guy he’s been super helpful. One of the things I really tried to do is clarify things that needed it in my build thread; common pitfalls for the new builder. Frankly I knew nothing. Literally zero and I’ve made it pretty far at this point. I think you might find it helpful, I tried to organize it to supplement the manual.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...en-3-Coupe-138

Another resource that can’t be ignored is Paul (Edwardb). He’s a tremendous resource here, incredibly patient and frankly his contributions to this community of builders is unparalleled and I personally am tremendously grateful for his knowledge and willingness to share it. His build thread has been my guide for sure. You’ll see guys copy straight from it, down to the seats he picked. Though my build and Paul’s look different you’ll notice my fuel system layout is nearly identical to his. Why reinvent the wheel? He figured it out. I can personally attest that I wouldn’t have made it as far as I have without that resource.

Take it a step at a time use the manual as your guide and this community to fill in the rest.
    Last edited by P100DHG; 12-03-2020 at 11:40 PM.

18. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I'm not going to suggest the build manuals are perfect or don't have room for improvement. But I wouldn't characterize them as "poor." The Gen 3 Coupe manual is relatively new and I think you'll find a valuable resource for your build. Is every single detail described? No. But there are so many possible combinations of parts possible for these builds I think it's an unrealistic expectation to find every possibility documented. It will take some time and effort on your part in some cases. The forum is a valuable resource for this and additional details and questions where needed. Probably my biggest complaint about the build manuals, including the Gen 3 Coupe, is they tend to use stock pictures that sometimes don't match the build. There are older gen Coupe pictures, even Roadster pictures, in the Gen 3 Coupe manual. So don't get too literal with pictures if the details don't match exactly. Also, many options are documented in separate instructions. Bunch of them here: http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/instructions/. The Ron Francis wiring guide, including especially the schematic, is a huge resource. FWIW, the build manuals are significantly better than in the past.
    Thanks for your reply I have read your build twice and will definitely be using as reference when I start, this is my first attempt and intend to just go slow with advice from this forum and my engine builder,

I have read the manual and just notice same comments about accuracy all through these threads.

p.s. have collected over 70 pics of build stages from here and grouping them into stages for reference next year as I find pics of actual builds will assist with the manual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P100DHG View Post
    I have been one to criticize the manual BUT their phone support more than makes up for the deficiencies. Dave B. is my go to guy he’s been super helpful. One of the things I really tried to do is clarify things that needed it in my build thread; common pitfalls for the new builder. Frankly I knew nothing. Literally zero and I’ve made it pretty far at this point. I think you might find it helpful, I tried to organize it to supplement the manual.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...en-3-Coupe-138

Another resource that can’t be ignored is Paul (Edwardb). He’s a tremendous resource here, incredibly patient and frankly his contributions to this community of builders is unparalleled and I personally am tremendously grateful for his knowledge and willingness to share it. His build thread has been my guide for sure. You’ll see guys copy straight from it, down to the seats he picked. Though my build and Paul’s look different you’ll notice my fuel system layout is nearly identical to his. Why reinvent the wheel? He figured it out. I can personally attest that I wouldn’t have made it as far as I have without that resource.

Take it a step at a time use the manual as your guide and this community to fill in the rest.
    Thanks so much you and edwardb are amazing how much you give back in here, its definitely calming my nerves on the challenge