FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Bench seat install.

Post Thanks / Like

Bench seat install.

After Christmas turkey yesterday, I had some friends help me install my bench seat. It was an effort in frustration, since nothing fit. We could not force the seat over the fiberglass tranny tunnel piece. Took out the tranny cover and set seat in place. Previous comments regarding wasted space behind the seat and seat back rubbing on roll bar diagonal braces were verified. Where I think the seat needs to be positioned, considering rear of cab clearance and roll bar braces, the seat tunnel covers about 8" of the rear of the tranny cover. The seat cannot be forced down with current components.

I currently see a couple of options:
    1. Fabricate a 8" alum. driveshaft tunnel extension out to the front of seat tunnel, and then cut off 8" at rear of tranny cover, and fabricate both to match up.
    2. Slice out a section at top rear of fiberglass tranny tunnel, and then cut/fit in sides of fiberglass to fit into the seat tunnel opening.

I see that others (Jeff, Wallace, Marv) have installed their seats, with some massaging, and wonder if they would care to elaborate in more detail as to their elegant solution.

I guess I could go to roadster seat, but I would like the bench seats which I have to fit.

E-brake mounting is still problematic, as my rooster gear is imbedded about 1" into the seat cushion. I am using the newer shorter brake bracket.

Don't fret, I am still telling myself it is the journey, and not the destination.

Thanks, Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    I will also follow this. Wondering if a spacer underneath is a possible solution? I'm 5' 8" so I don't need to sit on the floor. Even a tray that you could pull out, would be nice. For storage paperwork etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you get it installed with the trans tunnel cover off? I also cut the frame of the seats a bit, of course. If you can get it on with the frame cut and trans tunnel off, then you have something to work with. If not, it's probably worth an e-mail to Tony and see if he has any ideas. Also, consider removing any sound deadening material so you're just metal and fiberglass. You can always put it back.

Good Luck

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I modified the set frame on mine. FFR told me to keep my mouth shut about it. Not sure why. They deleted my post on how to do it. Mine fits perfect now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff, yes I can get the seat on with the tranny tunnel off. It is just that the fiberglass tranny tunnel is too wide at the rear to fit under the seat tunnel.
    Yes, I will have to cut the seat frame for the e-brake bracket to fit. Not sure yet if it will clear the seat cushion.
    My current thoughts are to trim the fiberglass tranny tunnel to fit under the seat tunnel.
    Interesting.
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Currently mine is sitting on 2x4’s with these removed and the front of the center piece spread to around 8 inches wide.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 FFR 5851 Copperhead Orange with ghost stripes by “the Bat”, Ford Racing 345 HP, Tremec 5 Speed
    2012 FFR 33 HR, won Best Use of Chrome Huntington Beach 2014; 345 HP AOD
    Deep Impact Blue
    2018 FFR 35 Pick Up, building, getting there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Currently mine is sitting on 2x4’s with these removed and the front of the center piece spread to around 8 inches wide.
    I set the seat in and it fit well. It was a touch high in the front where it slid over the tunnel. I added two 3/4 pieces of square stock under the front of the seat and bolted it in.

It was easy, and uneventful, and drama free.

It clears the roll bar, set right over the trans tunnel and sat flat in the rear, with the 3/4 stock in the front it was just fine.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, some spread to 8" in front, and some seats fit fine. Seems to be a bit of product variation.
    By my measurements, I would have to move out to 9" in front to clear the tranny tunnel.
    I will go on to other parts of the build until this shakes out.
    Ralph
    Last edited by rponfick; 12-28-2018 at 12:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is how I solved my tranny tunnel not fitting. Cut tunnel and forced sides in about 3/4" on each side. Fits perfectly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone heard if FFR is doing something to correct this issue?

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought I had my seat issues solved with my narrowing of the tranny tunnel. With 1" ply under the front of seat frame, the seat still sits on the e-brake rooster tail, and will cut the seat fabric if install there. And, yes, I have cut out the corner of the metal seat frame for e-brake clearance. You have to have the seat far enough forward to clear the back of the cab. The seat needs to be raised quite a bit to clear everything, or eliminate the emergency brake system. I am so f'ing frustrated.
    Glad everyone is having a good time at Barrett Jackson.

I just can't see how others have got this to work.

Venting. Ralph

PS: Today (two days later) I will cut off some of the top rooster serrated portion of the e-brake fixture. I think I can pickup an inch of clearance by trimming some off the top. Just a haircut.
    Last edited by rponfick; 01-12-2019 at 05:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    that does it for me. I'm going to buy the electric brake that Tom Wallace has and throw out the hand brake..

Post Thanks / Like
    Bench seat update.
    I cut 3 teeth off the top of rooster comb of e-brake bracket. With 1" spacer under front and rear of seat, I can get clearance for the e-brake. With seat back against the rear bulkhead, everything looks nice. It has been a good day.

Then, I decide to test fit the 5 point Simpson harness with seat in position. Does Simpson make belt extenders? With my 165lb., 5'10" frame in the seat, I lack about 2" of getting the seat belt buckled around my lap.

The journey continues.

Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased a lokar e brake for $110 is a lot more compact , I used it in my mark 4 also, I am confident that I can make it fit in front of the drivers seat going in a left to right direction , up against the front of my seat , will keep you posted
    Lokar EHB-7000F Floor Mount Emergency Hand Brake

Post Thanks / Like
    I just had a nice call from Jay Kravitz at FFR, and he indicated they were working on ideas for the tranny tunnel, seat height, and seat belts. I am heartened.
    Ralph

16. Likes Houdini liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    after reading this I tried fitting my seat. WOW. there is NO WAY it will fit. I will be following along. 347 w/ AOD

Post Thanks / Like
    A bit of advice when fitting your bench seat. Cover the sharp edges of the roll bar braces with split gas line hose or some other protection. The plasma cut braces have very sharp rough edges.
    My seat backs were not cut through, but I was surprised to see nice grooves in them, and I was very careful in my fittings.
    Just a word of precaution.
    Ralph

19. Thanks erlihemi thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Bumping this up. Tried to fit mine last night and can't get it to clear. Looking at the leather portion of the center hump, far forward from the sheet metal to the fiberglass should that fit? Is that the 8-inch measurement?

Post Thanks / Like
    Great. Better hurry SEMA is quickly approaching. I will there somewhere too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not exactly sure what the question is. But, my seat tunnel had about a 7" opening, and the tranny cover was over 8" wide at the point where the seat would fit over it. I cut the tranny cover down at the fitment point. But, I am still a little tight at that spot, and should have narrowed the tranny tunnel even more. I am currently trying to bend out the seat tunnel area a bit, after cutting some of the seat support bars, as has been posted previously.
    Not sure if FFR has addressed this issue in later shipments.
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    I never liked the production bench seats especially at the tunnel. The original bench seat made for the first SEMA was the best bench seat in my opinion. I wish they would have followed that template more. I do like the tilting mod made by 35 Ford Hoonatruck. I hope they come up with better seat options.