Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: POR15 vs RUSTOLEUM

Post Thanks / Like

Question POR15 vs RUSTOLEUM

Is POR15 @ $28/PINT WORTH IT?
    Can Rustoleum Bare Metal Primer plus Gloss Black work as well on bare steel like the hood and trunk supports? And...is Rustoleum OK for the bare aluminum?

BTW my IRS center section came from Ford painted. Is that paint any good? Or do I have to remove it and paint with POR15?

Just curious...

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO, POR15 is definitely worth the price of admission. I work in the coatings industry and it is industrial strength. Like anything, just have to make sure you prep the surface correctly. Rustoleum primer and topcoat work, but I think are a little more finicky to prep work, meaning that I don't think its as flexible to work with as the POR15.

If the IRS section is already painted, I'd probably leave it, but in my experience, these coatings were more for initial rust prevention versus long term hold out. Your choice of course. If you want to paint it, you really just need to make sure the paint is well adhered to the surface, de-glossed then I believe you can use the POR15 right over that.

Only down side to the original POR15 is that it is UV intolerant. I think if it gets too much exposure to light it will damage the coating. There are other versions of POR15 that don't do this.
    Last edited by cv2065; 12-26-2018 at 09:35 PM.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Pot-15 is light years better! Maybe better than powder coating, only drawback to me is the extended drying time.
    MK IV complete Kit - 1st time builder started Sept 2016
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS
    Power steering - Levy setup, Breeze roll bars, Thompson trunk box
    fuel injection, powder coating, sway bars, heater, wipers, 17 in wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't use the Rust-Oleum primer. It's crap. My rear axle is covered with just Rust-Oleum black paint, and it's holding up fantastic. The frame, I put down the primer first. Crap! The Pain on top chips free of the primer too easy. Can't say I know what the reason is, but I'm not pleased with it. The Rust-Oleum also started to cure too fast to get very far on the frame. I had to dump a couple of paint batches for fresh. About a dozen brushes too. I don't know if por would have helped with that though. If I do it again, I won't use Rust-Oleum. Or at least, I won't prime first, and I'll spray it instead of brush it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate rust, really, hate is a strong word, but I really hate rust. I had POR 15 put on the entire underside of another car that I restored for myself (1970 240Z). It looks as good today as the day we put it on, almost 10 years. I would buy the smallest can available as it goes a lot further than anyone thinks. Seal it afterwards, invert the can to preserve it and on to the next project. A lot of people can't reuse the can as it got contaminated so be careful. Whatever you wear, or drip on throw it away. POR 15 will not come off. HTH, Richard.
    Richard Oben FFR builder www.northracecars.com

Need help finishing your project we can help here or at your shop.

FFR GTM #34 first GTM with working AC. 400 hp LS1 w/G50
    FFR coupe 3617CP 331 Stack EFI T-5 IRS Cobra brakes, AC/heat.
    Both cars by NRC, we can build (and have built) any FFR product.
    We also make and sell a ton of great parts for the FFR community.
    Brake kits, AC systems, #1 supplier of Team III wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff's First FFR View Post
    Is POR15 @ $28/PINT WORTH IT?
    Can Rustoleum Bare Metal Primer plus Gloss Black work as well on bare steel like the hood and trunk supports? And...is Rustoleum OK for the bare aluminum?

BTW my IRS center section came from Ford painted. Is that paint any good? Or do I have to remove it and paint with POR15?

Just curious...
    Consider having the small bare steel pieces powder coated. Well worth the $$.
    MkIV #7854, Kit picked up September 2012, Coyote/BOSS 302 intake tuned at 488HP, TKO600, Center Force, Moser 8.8, driveshaft safety hoop, Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers, Gas-N-sidepipes, rad shroud, Wilwoods, NO PS/PB, heater/defroster, heated seats, wipers, Herb door panels, Dynamat Extreme sound/heat dampening, premium Rodtop top, Fast Freddie lexan wind screen, Nitto 555R, drop trunk battery, drop trunk storage,

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by skidd View Post
    Don't use the Rust-Oleum primer. It's crap. My rear axle is covered with just Rust-Oleum black paint, and it's holding up fantastic. The frame, I put down the primer first. Crap! The Pain on top chips free of the primer too easy. Can't say I know what the reason is, but I'm not pleased with it. The Rust-Oleum also started to cure too fast to get very far on the frame. I had to dump a couple of paint batches for fresh. About a dozen brushes too. I don't know if por would have helped with that though. If I do it again, I won't use Rust-Oleum. Or at least, I won't prime first, and I'll spray it instead of brush it.
    Thank you for you experience!
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Oben View Post
    I hate rust, really, hate is a strong word, but I really hate rust. I had POR 15 put on the entire underside of another car that I restored for myself (1970 240Z). It looks as good today as the day we put it on, almost 10 years. I would buy the smallest can available as it goes a lot further than anyone thinks. Seal it afterwards, invert the can to preserve it and on to the next project. A lot of people can't reuse the can as it got contaminated so be careful. Whatever you wear, or drip on throw it away. POR 15 will not come off. HTH, Richard.
    Thanks,
    Sounds like PORb15 is the way to go. Prep first with sandpaper or 3M and de-greaser.
    jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, somebody has to take a different (contrarian?) position. I'll bite. Three years ago I painted my IRS center section with Rustoleum engine paint. Still looks great. Primed it first, then painted it with the spray can. That said, I'm a big fan of powder coating and take that approach whenever I can.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rustoleum is for farm equipment not cars. It fades and eventually will start showing rust through it. The only exception I've found is their rusty metal primer -- that stuff holds up well but thats not a top coat.

Por15 does not have UV inhibitors and if you do an internet search you'll find folks complaining about it fading if you don't use a top coat. That may not be an issue under the car where there is no direct UV exposure.

However, Eastwood makes their 2K ceramic Chassis Black in a two-part automotive enamel that holds up well in the environment a car operates in. It is truly an automotive grade paint that is resistant to fading and chipping from road debris that gets kicked up. It is a two-part enamel (has a hardener) that comes in a rattle can with a clever container within a can design that allows you to add the hardener just prior to use and like any two-part paint has a pot life. This is no hardware store rattle can paint and the spray nozzle has a great adjustable fan pattern that makes it easy to get a professional finish. Their black matches the FFR powder coat perfectly and the finish can be cut and buffed just like automotive enamel because it is automotive enamel.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the posts so far. POR15 is in a different league than Rustoleum. I've used the POR15 on the IRS diff and other suspension parts, misc. metal parts, even touched up an engine with it, and all worked very well. With all the suggestions and cautions so far. I also agree the Eastwood 2K ceramic is good stuff. Painted the hood hinges and some other stuff with it a couple builds ago and I like it a lot. Agreed it goes on well, looks like powder coat, and seems very durable. Maybe more durable than powder coat since it's catalyzed. Downsides are that it's not cheap and it has a limited pot life once you pierce the built-in container to mix the hardner. Plan to have whatever you're going to paint all lined up ready to go. Won't go on the shelf for later. I've found Eastwood's Extreme chassis black paints to be excellent. Not as good as the 2K, but better than anything I've found at the big box or automotive stores. Last, in descending order, I've also found the Dupli-Color Ceramic engine paint to be pretty decent. All head and shoulders better than Rustoleum products, which I don't use after finding better alternatives.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I agree with the posts so far. POR15 is in a different league than Rustoleum. I've used the POR15 on the IRS diff and other suspension parts, misc. metal parts, even touched up an engine with it, and all worked very well. With all the suggestions and cautions so far. I also agree the Eastwood 2K ceramic is good stuff. Painted the hood hinges and some other stuff with it a couple builds ago and I like it a lot. Agreed it goes on well, looks like powder coat, and seems very durable. Maybe more durable than powder coat since it's catalyzed. Downsides are that it's not cheap and it has a limited pot life once you pierce the built-in container to mix the hardner. Plan to have whatever you're going to paint all lined up ready to go. Won't go on the shelf for later. I've found Eastwood's Extreme chassis black paints to be excellent. Not as good as the 2K, but better than anything I've found at the big box or automotive stores. Last, in descending order, I've also found the Dupli-Color Ceramic engine paint to be pretty decent. All head and shoulders better than Rustoleum products, which I don't use after finding better alternatives.
    I agree with Paul's comments and share his experience with Eastwood's 2K and extreme chassis black paints.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you go w/ the POR15, pay strict attention to Richard Oben's storage recommendations. Long ago I thought I would try it so bought the smallest can they had. Used it on small items maybe 3,4 times. Six months later I wanted to use it again. He!! getting the can open only to find hard glop so that can was done. I am done w/ POR15.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you do go with POR15 make sure your work area is well ventilated. Very well ventilated. Better yet wear a respirator. Your brain will thank you.
    Last edited by Bobby Doug; 12-29-2018 at 12:13 AM.
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    I used POR15 to paint a 1953 Willys Jeep frame 15 years ago and It has held up really well. I sealed the leftover paint in small paint cans sealed with plastic wrap filled to the top. POR15 in these cans is still like new. I did have to top coat areas in direct sunlight, but underneath I never did.

Post Thanks / Like
    POR-15, rust coatings, and rust converters are often poor electrical conductors. I know, so what? That often means you can't powdercoat over them. Be sure and test a couple of small pieces of scrap metal before doing anything important.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    KBS Gloss Black Rust /Seal Preventative Paint...…..I restored two 1967 Fairlanes...and sprayed the undercarriage with single stage KBS.....10 years later....the undercarriage still looks like new......it can also be brushed on...and it's cheaper than POR-15......comes in many colors...Check out Ebay…..

Post Thanks / Like
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021